Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

HORNCHUCH 0 ROMFORD 1 - report

Dagger03

I remember a certain Romford striker, named Chandler, scoring a  hat-trick in a big win at New Writtle street  ( a proper football ground) back in the early seventies, a few years after they won the Southern League Title. Mind you, I also remember Brentwood beating The Clarets ha ha . 

Sadly, local non league football "aint what it used to be". The decent grounds have gone, along with the decent crowds. Most of the time these days, it is a matter of surviving off scraps financially.

Enjoyed reading this banter - good luck in your respective leagues.

Those were the days. Three thousand plus crowds every week, and even more for local derbies. 

Dagenham & Redbridge have proved its possible to rise above the mundane, but unfortunately too many people disapprove of the ruthless methods they used to achieve their status. I personally admire them.  

Think with West Ham moving to Stratford next season, there's only really going to be room for one non-league club in Havering.

One guess on who I think that should be!

Been saying there's too many in our area clubs for years. IMO though the demise of one club could prove disastrous for the surviving one.

I think it's unlikely that fans from either club would watch the other (except in a derby), not sure how one going under would have a detrimental effect on the other though?? Think it's correct about the clubs though, when you see attendances in the 50s in this league, you know that money would have to come from other sources to survive, how sustainable would that be long-term?

It's my understanding that Hornchurch are doing okay but I know the amount of work that's gone on to get them to that point.