Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Standard of Goalkeeping

FancyFeet65

After going to watch Sandhurst Town vs Ash United today, and a few other CCL games over the last few weeks. I can't help but comment of the standard of goalkeepers in this league. I feel at this level the goalkeeper should be able to kick the ball and I feel that a majority of GKs in this division can't. I'm saying this purely on the performance of the Ash keeper today. Couldn't kick a ball out of his own half, if he concentrated on his distribution rather than shouting and balling at everyone he would be able to play better. I personally don't think he is anywhere good enough to be in this league let alone captain his side.

Fancyfeet 65,the standard of goalkeeping in the CCL is decent to be honest,you obviously saw a poor performance today.However somebody said many moons ago,that a keeper is only as good as the players in front of him.Were the outfield players in front him excellent? Have you any advice to give him,that would be more helpful surely,did you speak to the said keeper,post match and tell him what you thought of his performance?

Fancyfeet65

I do believe if my sources are right you watched a very good Ash United Team beat Sandhurst 5-1 on a pitch that wasn't the best. Having watched the CCL for a few years now the standard of keepers is very good, just because a goalkeeper is having a bad day kicking doesn't make him a bad goalkeeper. I am sure there are many other attributes that a goalkeeper needs, one of them is encouragement not criticism. If the standard is that bad put your gloves on and give it go

After going to watch Sandhurst Town vs Ash United today, and a few other CCL games over the last few weeks. I can't help but comment of the standard of goalkeepers in this league. I feel at this level the goalkeeper should be able to kick the ball and I feel that a majority of GKs in this division can't. I'm saying this purely on the performance of the Ash keeper today. Couldn't kick a ball out of his own half, if he concentrated on his distribution rather than shouting and balling at everyone he would be able to play better. I personally don't think he is anywhere good enough to be in this league let alone captain his side.

I was at this game. Nothing wrong with the pitch. Goalkeeper's kicking wasn't brilliant but he's a young keeper so he can improve. If he was the captain don't you think that it is right that he communicates with the rest of his team?

Interesting how Fancy Feet has judged the ability of a goal keeper on the standard of his kicking. Only in this country would that happen. I also personally the keeper in question, and he is a  decent young lad who is trying to improve all aspects of his game. Probably needs the comments of Fancy Feet like he needs a punch in the face.

I was at this game. Nothing wrong with the pitch. Goalkeeper's kicking wasn't brilliant but he's a young keeper so he can improve. If he was the captain don't you think that it is right that he communicates with the rest of his team?

You beat to it Stanley... Sandhurst pitch was in great nick like it normally is ( better than the one you saw a game on silkyskills). Yes at times our keepers kicking isn't the best but it was only the first half he was struggling & he was kicking into a strong cold wind & like Stanley said if your captain your supposed to shout & communicate to the rest of your teammates

The trouble with a lot of people is they do not really understand the role of a keeper. I mean that with respect and it is not a dig at anybody. A keeper can concede several goals in a game and yet still played really well ! Very few spectators will realise this unless they have experience of that position. Firstly a keepers position is a pretty thankless task and in most cases the keeper is either a hero or a villain as he is the last link between a goal or a save, many times a win or a loss. If an outfield player makes a mistake or miss kicks a ball it is forgotten in seconds, however if a keeper does the same then he cops the flack, often for some while after.

Some keepers do struggle with their kicking at this level and even higher levels but does that make them a bad keeper ?? No, it means that it is part of their game they need to work on to improve. I know a couple of keepers who are excellent shot stoppers but have problems with dead ball kicking, they do however have the sense to control their back four to give them angles to play out from the back to compensate. In training they are working hard to rectify the problem but the fact they have a good liason with their back four can only be seen as an effort on the keepers part. I don't think you could look at any player in these leagues and say they are the complete article, though some stand out, there is so much more to learn and improve from. I have seen some good and bad performances from keepers this year but would never consider judging them on one or two games. Just a few keepers that really stand out for me in this league are at Camberley, Westfield and Windsor. That does not mean the rest are not good, I am only mentioning ones that have really stood out for me so far this season. If you watch a keeper, do not judge him on kicking and shot stopping alone. Watch him for the full 90 minutes and see how he commands the back four, see how he concentrates and tries to read the entire game, see the body language if he concedes or makes a mistake ( if a keeper makes a howler he still has the rest of the game to play, does he do this with his chin on the floor ? or can he put it behind him, learn from it and carry on) see how he sets himself, did he close the angle and put the forward off or leave him no clear chance on goal ? , many keepers will do this in a game and though they did not even touch the ball, they closed the angle and blocked the path to goal (great goalkeeping). How brave is he ? did he come out to that big forwards feet with no thought to getting clattered  etc. Only when you consider these points, and indeed several more then I feel it is time to make an assessment.

Fancyfeet 65,the standard of goalkeeping in the CCL is decent to be honest,you obviously saw a poor performance today.However somebody said many moons ago,that a keeper is only as good as the players in front of him.Were the outfield players in front him excellent? Have you any advice to give him,that would be more helpful surely,did you speak to the said keeper,post match and tell him what you thought of his performance?

Well said, Smudger.

I have to admit though, you don't hear keepers instructing their defenders immediately in front of them enough these days.

There has to be a good working relationship between keepers and the back line.

Plenty of good comments after a frankly embarrassing opener from someone who clearly has a personal agenda.

"The majority of goalkeepers in this league can't kick..."

"I base this purely on the performance of the Ash Utd keeper..."

Pathetic.

Rother

You took the words out of my mouth, FancyFeet65 obviously doesn't know anything about football let alone goalkeepers. Some people just need to keep their opinion to themselves

We have some great keepers in this league right now. Too many to list, although many have been above, and I wouldn't disagree with any of those calls.

People who are new to this forum need to understand that there is a mix of regulars on here. Many are current players or officials, while many are regular long serving supporters who may or may not have played at the same level.

All of them will see through an argument from a first poster whose first post is a negative one. Try making your second post a positive one or you will probably end up being ridiculed again.

Plenty of good comments after a frankly embarrassing opener from someone who clearly has a personal agenda.

"The majority of goalkeepers in this league can't kick..."

"I base this purely on the performance of the Ash Utd keeper..."

Pathetic.

If that were true, Rother, then surely a spot of coaching and training would be the obvious answer.

Learning to kick a ball hard, long and accurately ain't that hard !!

All of the goalkeepers in this league are decent,they have to be because its senior football,like any player they will have lapses in form it really is not a problem,kicking is a part of the keepers game that can be worked on in training and for most will improve,alas some keepers kicking will never improve no matter how much they work on it,most keepers posses an amazing throw and this can often get them out of trouble,my way around it is to tell the full backs as soon as the keeper receives the ball to make themselves available and play out from the back,make sure the rest of the team know what to expect and move out as a unit.

Ash keeper was outstanding today. A couple of classy saves to keep Ash in it in the first half. Kicking out of his own half consistently, although it does remain as aspect of his game he could work on. At 19 years old (he looks closer to 30!) you can't help but think his future is bright.

Archived