Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

East Thurrock United v Enfield Town

littlehampton

Christmas Day now over, Town hit the road again and travel the short distance to East Thurrock for our 1.00pm early start Boxing Day fixture.

A couple of days back, we saw off The Rooks with an impressive 2-0  win down in Lewes, and today we take on The Rocks at Rookery Hill, hoping to be able to crow about another precious three points.

This is always a highly competitive encounter, so fingers crossed our guys have taken it easy yesterday with the Christmas turkey, figgy pudding, mince pies, mulled wine, etc, etc.

Can't get there myself today, but will be keeping close tabs on the match. Very best of luck to Brad and the boys. Let's do the business and give us some more Christmas cheer.

Good luck everyone.

'COME ON YOU TOWN'

HT: East Thurrock 1-0 Enfield Town

Still a goal behind at the interval, but a very tight match which could go either way. Hopefully, some good news in the second half.

Can tell you that our next opponents Wingate & Finchley have lost 1-3 at home to Met Police.

A bit more news. We played the first half with the wind on our backs, created a number of chances, but failed to convert any. So, we will be playing into the wind in the second half. Need a big performance from the lads to get back in this game!

Full Time Score:   East Thurrock United  1-0  Enfield Town

Despite a clean sheet in the second half, we could not find an equaliser, and went down by a single goal to end our recent winning run. This was always going to be a difficult match between two in form teams. Credit to The Rocks and, let's hope Town can get back to winning ways again at Summers Lane on Tuesday. Please share your thoughts on todays match, whether we played well, if it was a fair result, etc with others who couldn't get to Rookery Hill this afternoon. Thanks.

The East Thurrock game is the first that I have been able to get to for quite some time. I told my sons on the way there about the East Thurrock hoodoo and sure enough, that hoodoo continues.

I thought ETFC was the better team but East Thurrock know how to play to the conditions at their ground. Clear cut goal scoring chances were few and far between and the only goal came, yet again, from a set piece that we should have cleared but didn't. The East Thurrock no. 5 toe-poked it straight into the far corner.

We had plenty of possession in the rest of the first half but, other than an Ottaway header, didn't threaten the goal. Similar story in the second half. I thought our two wing backs, Parcell and Bihmoutine, both played well. Ottaway led the line exceptionally well and I can see why he is in the starting 11 week in week out. Watching him against the East Thurrock no. 5 was worth the entry money alone - a good old fashioned clash between centre forward and centre back. Stan Muguo looked short of confidence to me, but he will get his game back by playing regularly. Didn't see enough of the new player on the ball other than one lovely run where he left several East Thurrock defenders trailing in his wake. Corey was lively but ushered out wide too often. Tyler didn't see much of the ball.

Anyway, the hoodoo continues. The ball didn't bounce our way yesterday but these things even up over the season. I think we deserved a point, but then East Thurrock smacked a shot against the bar from distance in the second half so they will say they were good value for the win.

On the positive side, I thought the team spirit both on and off the pitch was excellent. We'll score goals for sure. It's how many sillies we let in that will determine whether we make the play-offs. I can see us getting close to the top 6 if we get a run going again soon, particularly away from home.

Very dull game to be honest. It was too windy to play long and their pitch is absolutely awful,, so playing it on the deck was always going to be difficult. Two evenly matched teams but our defence was weakened because of the exclusion of Joseph and Stevens. They scored from a corner, again, and I think that their keeper made one save.

I'm really struggling to think of anything else of any significance that happened during the game. I think that I farted during the second half but I can't be sure.

I enjoyed the game. I thought two evenly matched teams giving there all to the cause. Chances were very few, could count them on one hand for both teams combined.

They punished our inability to clear a free kick first/second time, we put cross's in but ricochets didn't roll for us. Otherwise I agree fully with Benjriders assessment above.

Got to say I've always enjoyed visiting ETU, friendly people, good club, well run and all that said from Essex too. I can't say the same for Canvey, Ricay or Grays.

Archived