Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

ASHFORD 2 - 1 WINDSOR

Tel

Not able to get down today but I am sure Ashford will take the victory in their stride. Following on Twitter Ashford might have had the game in the bag before Windsor scored.

With HW loosing at Cambo and Horley and Epsom sharing the points, this was a good time to pick up all three points

Indeed, the results went our way today, and it was a deserved victory for our lads, but the score was much closer than it should have been.

Bitz put us ahead in the 4th minute, and Fleminho scored our second in the 65th, both rebounds after fine saves from Windsor keeper Carl Dennison who singlehandedly kept Windsor in the game.

After Windsor's centre forward Barry Dunbar got his second yellow in the 38th, the game was played much like an attack v. defence training match, with Windsor putting everyone behind the ball for most of the remainder of the game and hoping to catch us on the break. We tried to walk the ball into the net a bit too much, Windsor defended doggedly and stopped a barrage of attacks, and we should have been at least four up when Windsor thought "what the heck", threw caution to the wind and Charlie Samuel scored in the 77th minute to make it a nervier finish than it should have been. 

Still, a very useful three points. Just about got my eyes focussed again after today's kits! 

PS - A fine performance from all our lads, but man of the match for me was Samad, who I see isn't sponsored. With Harry Driver still absent, can I please change my player sponsorship to Mr. Kazi? Thanks.

Sorry swiftly, the programme had the old list of sponsored players and Super Samad has gone..... To yours truly!

Still some top lads available and the up to date list is in the notice board.bso let Phil know and he will swap yours.

We had a lot of chances to increase our early lead, especially a sitter from Dan, although our centre forward had his best match for a long time.

Strangely we played our best football when it was 11 v 11, our team seemed to slow their passing down when Windsor went down to 10 ( a harsh decision). We had too many passing options and made it easy for Windsor to defend.

Having said that the Royals tactics when they were 2-0 down were strangely negative and even left three at the back when they had a corner in the last few minutes.

Still overall a good game of football on our excellent pitch in spring like conditions.

Some folk on the terraces near me also thought the Windsor striker's second booking was a bit harsh.

I was very impressed with how we played in the first half, and just wished we'd tried a few more pops at goal from outside the box after the man advantage. Windsor seemed very subdued throughout, but played good, clean football.

Interesting to see Dan joining in on both wings sporadically (and not doing badly either) during the match.

I'll check that noticeboard on Saturday!

Well done Ashford a deserved win up against a strong Windsor side who are no mugs.Harsh on Windsor's player getting sent off? I think not,he had to much to say to the ref for his 1st booking and came in late for his tackle on Max and rightfully got his 2nd yellow and the resulting red card.Bitz early goal settled Ashford and the boys dominated the 1st half all the more after the sending off,and it continued in the 2nd,and it looked game over when Dan Flemming scored the 2nd goal. Ben's decision to sub Bitz for Scot Weight looked wrong,I do like to see Scot play but the lads were coping well and no changes were needed,the change made Ashford look awkward and unbalance,and instead of cruising to a 2-0 win we let Windsor back in the game and we were struggling at the end to keep them out and prevent a draw.

Good to see other results go are way.

Just a question I want to put out there,doe's any body know what has happened to the very good ex Ashford player Dan Brown? I know he went to Staines and then was released,but from there?

Windsor FC new kit was the only thing that stood out, apart from Windsor goal keeper who kept his team in the game during the first half.  Regarding the Windsor player sending off, he was NOT unlucky, just plain stupid, he shown clear and very loud verbal dissent to ref for first booking, and why he felt the need to make a very poor sliding tackle, only he can answer that question.   I don't know if Windsor are struggling with injury's or lack of player's, but they had a central defender who clearly was carrying a bad knee injury, and really struggled, he did come out for the second half, but he was subbed before the half started.

Ashford played well, but found it difficult to beat Windsor keeper, and one moment they did Dan managed to put the ball over the bar from 4 yards out, it was one of those games were it should have been 4 or even 5-0 at half time.    Even with Windsor down to 10 players they came out in the second half and played well, but Ashford were again guilty of trying to walk the ball into the net, again Windsor keeper did well kept them in the game.

I can't get to away games, but don't know why at home Ashford can't find that killer instinct when they dominate games against other teams ?

does anybody know what has happened to the very good ex Ashford player Dan Brown? I know he went to Staines and then was released,but from there?

A very quick lazy search reveals Dan joined Burnham in 2014/15 but he isn't on their current squad list.

Can I also wish Keith Balmer a speedy recovery. I didn't realise until yesterday he was taken badly ill over the festive period.

Archived