Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Called off match!! By the ref!!

HTFCSUPPORTER

We had a game tonight at home, Horley reserves v Farnham reserves.

The ref goes out on the pitch and at 7ish throws the ball in the air and it thuds on a bit of the pitch and doesn't bounce and he calls it off!!!

No standing water, yes granted a bit soft and muddy in areas but it's bloody February and we've had 70 games in it!!!

We had a tractor on it today and rolled it, and he says it's dangerous!!! Well we better call all of our homes games off for the rest of the month!!

We worked bloody hard today to get the game on and it was plenty playable!! Bloody joke!!!

We wil be sending in a complaint about the ref.

A really big sorry to Farnham who also travelled to be told game off!!

I believe both managers we're more than happy to play.

We had a game tonight at home, Horley reserves v Farnham reserves.

The ref goes out on the pitch and at 7ish throws the ball in the air and it thuds on a bit of the pitch and doesn't bounce and he calls it off!!!

No standing water, yes granted a bit soft and muddy in areas but it's bloody February and we've had 70 games in it!!!

We had a tractor on it today and rolled it, and he says it's dangerous!!! Well we better call all of our homes games off for the rest of the month!!

We worked bloody hard today to get the game on and it was plenty playable!! Bloody joke!!!

We wil be sending in a complaint about the ref.

A really big sorry to Farnham who also travelled to be told game off!!

I believe both managers we're more than happy to play.

I had a similar experience last season at Ash, spent hours with others getting the pitch playable. Yep some soft patches & yes the ball didn't bounce in them, but the ball still rolled & players ran over the patches & didn't slip as they were doing their warm up....but the referee & a assistant had made their minds up, even after nearly being hit by a bouncing goal kick ...wasted efforts & like Horley felt sorry our opponents who had made the long trip to ours

I will reply on behalf of the Suburban Football League

I must admit, I was surprised that no pitch inspection was made by a local referee to double check all was well as Dorking's game at Horley's ground  was called off on Tuesday night. I know we have had a bit of dry weather with a few shpwers, but due to the distance that Farnham Town had to travel, maybe as I say just to make sure all was ok would a pitch inspection not have been a good idea!!.  We have a number of referees in that area that could have made an inspection before Farnham Town travelled.

You mentioned that you believed both managers were happy to play...then how come I returned home last night from my game at Ascot Utd to open a e-mail from Farnham Town;s secretary advising he had received a phone call from his manager at Horley,  and he stating that ' the manager quite rightly agreed with the referee's decision about the calling the game off', and was annoyed that they had travelled with little chance of playing a game.. I will not mention other bits of the e-mail, as the league committee needs to be involved.

Also, the referees on the suburban football league are advised every season at the match officials meeting before the season, that we are a RESERVES league, and if there is any doubt that by playing a game in the league would damage the pitch that could mean 1st team games would be at risk, then the game should not take place.

I am sorry that all the hard work undertaking by people at Horley Town went to waste, but I do record a number of comments on this site about teams travelling distance's to a game and then the referee calling a game off when he arrives, I think one involved Horley Town,  so it happens on all leagues!!

I am sure that all referees on all leagues would prefer a game to be played then having to just get back into his car and travel home

Tony King

Match Officials Appointments Manager

Suburban Football League

I will reply on behalf of the Suburban Football League

I must admit, I was surprised that no pitch inspection was made by a local referee to double check all was well as Dorking's game at Horley's ground was called off on Tuesday night. I know we have had a bit of dry weather with a few shpwers, but due to the distance that Farnham Town had to travel, maybe as I say just to make sure all was ok would a pitch inspection not have been a good idea!!. We have a number of referees in that area that could have made an inspection before Farnham Town travelled.

You mentioned that you believed both managers were happy to play...then how come I returned home last night from my game at Ascot Utd to open a e-mail from Farnham Town;s secretary advising he had received a phone call from his manager at Horley, and he stating that ' the manager quite rightly agreed with the referee's decision about the calling the game off', and was annoyed that they had travelled with little chance of playing a game.. I will not mention other bits of the e-mail, as the league committee needs to be involved.

Also, the referees on the suburban football league are advised every season at the match officials meeting before the season, that we are a RESERVES league, and if there is any doubt that by playing a game in the league would damage the pitch that could mean 1st team games would be at risk, then the game should not take place.

I am sorry that all the hard work undertaking by people at Horley Town went to waste, but I do record a number of comments on this site about teams travelling distance's to a game and then the referee calling a game off when he arrives, I think one involved Horley Town, so it happens on all leagues!!

I am sure that all referees on all leagues would prefer a game to be played then having to just get back into his car and travel home

Tony King

Match Officials Appointments Manager

Suburban Football League

All your points taken,

if we as a club thought the pitch was un playable we would of arranged an inspection as we do normally, but as I personally walked across the pitch at 4.30 it was fine to play a game.

I'm no ref but been at the club for 13 years(so I know the pitch) and been part of football for 30 years and the pitch was not un safe to play football on.

It is a winter sport!!

We haven't all got Wembley surface in February!!

Games get called off to easily, it's a fact.

So it needs looking at.

Archived