Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I was going to take goal hero Reeves off - Alty boss Sinnott

FF News

Damian Reeves added another priceless point to Altrincham's survival campaign with a second-half equaliser - just as he was about to be substituted.

The numbers had already been handed to the fourth official for James Lawrie to replace Reeves when the Alty striker charged down an attempted clearance by Lincoln keeper Paul Farman to salvage a 3-3 draw.

The 65th-minute substitution still went ahead, once the goal celebrations had subsided, and Alty boss Lee Sinnott, who promoted Reeves to the starting line-up after Michael Rankine went down with a bug grinned, 'You need a slice of luck sometimes, and you could say we had it then, with Reevesie scoring in the nick of time.

'I had already decided we needed a change, because Lincoln were looking more dangerous than us at the time and we had to do something to try and pull it round. Reevesie hasn't had much game time lately, and it was a heavy pitch. Add to that Michael's condition and the fact we play again on Tuesday against Chester, and I thought it was the right time to take him off.

'You make certain calls as a manager, and I just thought it was time for fresh legs. Players always want to stay on, but I'm sure when he reflects, Reevesie will settle for getting 65 minutes under his belt and a goal; that will have done him the world of good.

'The equaliser was calamitous from Lincoln's point of view but fair play to Reevesie for gambling and getting his rewards. I was pleased with the whole team for the character they showed to come back like that. I said to them afterwards to make sure they took the positives out of it, because it was a hard-earned, grafted point, and they should take pride in that.

'They stuck at it and refused to lie down, and that should be a big building block for the remaining games this season.

'The way the game started, it could have been four-all in no time. Neither defence got started, and it was a bit wooden at the back, with forwards getting free and in between people time and again. Defences were being opened up too easily, so for that reason alone, I'll settle for the point.'

Source: www.altrinchamfc.co.uk

Source

Archived