Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Just a word of warning - clubs can be charged if anyone associated with that club is found to be criticising match officials.

But if you feel like going ahead you can't say you haven't been warned

Teehee.

There is a bigger gap in quality between players/managers in top flight football and players/managers in Spartan league than there is between referees at these levels. So I really wish players and managers would stop moaning about referees - if they were better themselves they would get better referees!

i've witnessed some of the worst refs i've ever seen this season alone. So arrogant and busy its a joke does anybody else feel the same about them ????

Of course, SSFML players never make mistakes on the pitch and never harangue referees!! Just like players referees can have a 'bad day at the office', although maybe Non League Genius is just unlucky to pick these games to watch...

Teehee.

There is a bigger gap in quality between players/managers in top flight football and players/managers in Spartan league than there is between referees at these levels. So I really wish players and managers would stop moaning about referees - if they were better themselves they would get better referees!

Spot on and the reality is the better ones don't hang around at this level very long.

I find it amazing that you cant critise anything these days, without some big wig or power hungry moron thinking they can charge you....Praise the lord im not associated with any club....heaven forbid for an opinion.

My 2p's worth...ive seen some great refferreing so far and ive also seen some terrible refs....some that blatantly dont know the rules.

Its not easy at this level, but the simple aspects should be, common sense.

Mind ive also heard managers being abusive towards ref's frequently, habitually infact, some disgraces that clubs should look into first before pointing the finger at refs....

Put it this way, if i was abused as a ref the way some of them are, id be handing out cards left right and centre.

Id say certain officials dont belong at this level, blatantly and some you can see will go on to better levels. But they do get regularly abused and if that was me. Id find it hard to be restrained like they are in most instances.

Without them, the games dead, some players/managers act like theyre above the laws, so they should serve the same punishment

I find it amazing that you cant critise anything these days, without some big wig or power hungry moron thinking they can charge you....Praise the lord im not associated with any club....heaven forbid for an opinion.

My 2p's worth...ive seen some great refferreing so far and ive also seen some terrible refs....some that blatantly dont know the rules.

Its not easy at this level, but the simple aspects should be, common sense.

Mind ive also heard managers being abusive towards ref's frequently, habitually infact, some disgraces that clubs should look into first before pointing the finger at refs....

Put it this way, if i was abused as a ref the way some of them are, id be handing out cards left right and centre.

Id say certain officials dont belong at this level, blatantly and some you can see will go on to better levels. But they do get regularly abused and if that was me. Id find it hard to be restrained like they are in most instances.

Without them, the games dead, some players/managers act like theyre above the laws, so they should serve the same punishment

Saw a classic case of a manager and one of his assistants giving out plenty of verbals to the ref last weekend at Harefield, When a few Harefield supporters had a go back to the Colney Heath managment team they were told to ;go back to your caravan; and ; you know nothing thats why i`m this side of the fence and you`re not;

Saw a classic case of a manager and one of his assistants giving out plenty of verbals to the ref last weekend at Harefield, When a few Harefield supporters had a go back to the Colney Heath managment team they were told to ;go back to your caravan; and ; you know nothing thats why i`m this side of the fence and you`re not;

Exactly my point...or situations of managers complaining about fouls, then their players dishing it out and its ok....whats a ref to do then....im not condoning fouling, i just believe that a ref has to set the scene in the first 10mins, if not, then management get all ars*y and become hypocrites.

Ive seen a manager try and thump a fan this season and get sent to the stands...nothing done by the club.

I think Manager behaviour needs to be looked at massively in this league....they need to remember that the fans are even more important at this level that ever. Gate Receipts/Support/Volunteering etc

Oh and im a Defender, had some run ins with terribly inconsistent reffing, which is boarderline cheating, but i always, always give praise to decent refs. You have to and its the right thing to do, credit where credit is due.

If you are a player, then you are going to experience referee's who you think are biased, belligerent, tin Gods.

My advice to you is the same I have given to youth and Ladies teams in the past.  Keep your mouth shut for the 90 minutes. If you don't, the referee will only react against you and your team even more harshly.

Your Club always has the ability to mark a referee down after the game, assuming of course, that they have sufficient grounds.

i think the best Refs out there are the ones with good communication skills, it's good to talk!

The ones I'm not in favour of are those that talk to you like s**t, you wouldn't talk to a person in the street like that & if you did gods know what would happen.

Clubs are reluctant to give a low score as it means having to write a report. Clubs just give a score of 51/100 to give the lowest mark possible without entering into a world of red tape.

Clubs are reluctant to give a low score as it means having to write a report. Clubs just give a score of 51/100 to give the lowest mark possible without entering into a world of red tape.

I can appreciate a clubs reluctance, but that only compounds the problem.

Most of the complaints about match officials are down to isolated incidents (unpunished back tackle, red card, disallowed goal etc).

As such although should be taken into consideration these isolated incidents are a very small percentage of an officials mark. His mark should be based over the full ninety minutes taking in everything - there is a two page guide on marking referees in the SSML Handbook (pages 18 and 19)

http://esports.flipboxapp.net/Spartan-3bgrCXKG/

Most of the complaints about match officials are down to isolated incidents (unpunished back tackle, red card, disallowed goal etc).

As such although should be taken into consideration these isolated incidents are a very small percentage of an officials mark. His mark should be based over the full ninety minutes taking in everything - there is a two page guide on marking referees in the SSML Handbook (pages 18 and 19)

http://esports.flipboxapp.net/Spartan-3bgrCXKG/

Hence the rightful use of referee assessors.

In regards to this I would suggest the problem is inconsistency which happens with both players and officials. Players get frustrated when the laws of the game are not applied consistently from one week to the next.

Also feel there is a big gap in the quality of refereeing with some referees possibly wanting to make a game about them and not the teams involved.

I must say that our referee today against edgeware was fantastic as we're his other two officials as well no yellow cards and the couple of moments where important decisions had to be made they got spot on!!

On the whole, the officials in the SSML are spot on. You get the occasional numpty from Aug-Nov and then the league runs out of money, can't afford to send assessors anymore and then suddenly common sense takes over and you get a fair game with fewer cards. The assessed games vs those without are remarkable for the cards issued/not issued. I can't understand why officials are assessed at our level when they should be assessed at Sunday league level and THEN promoted rather than sent back when they're found out.

Here's my view. I think the standard of refereeing is poor, but so is the football at times. I also see poor refereeing performances in the premier league and champions league too. So I'm not going to be one to attack ssml refs standard of performance.

One thing I can't defend, is their reactions to the mistakes. You can't compare them to players like people have above. If when a player made a mistake, he turned round to his manager/teammates and stood arguing that he was right, it'd be weird, or if he laughed it off whilst running away backwards, people would go mad. At controversial points in the game, refs should just calmly explain that the game happens very fast, they're only human and they can get something wrong, I think more people would accept bad decisions. It's as easy as that. I see refs in this league you just cannot talk to, or who infuriate players laughing after a bad decision and some are just plain arrogant. 

Another thing is the type of mistakes, some refereeing mistakes at this level are so poor and cannot be compared to a player's. I've seen some refs make it up as they go along and clearly don't know the rules when it is literally their job on the day. They need better education, you wonder what goes on behind the scenes.