Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Lobsters 0 Ash Trees 4

Swifty

Still in the hunt after a clinical display which condemned Redhill to their second successive relegation. An excellent score considering Camberley only beat The Lobsters 2-1 at home recently.

Apparently, Redhill had recently signed some players with Ryman experience in a belated bid to stay up. They need to work on honing down the 'rufty tufty' side of their game – the overly verbose ref was right to book five of them, and really should have sent off the dirtiest player on the pitch (how on earth he’s Redhill’s captain on that evidence beats me) for any two of the six questionable tackles he dished out. Having said that, Redhill didn’t look like a relegation side and it wouldn’t be a shock to see them bounce straight back up.

Talking of bouncing back up, we looked unrecognisable from the side who tamely lost in the cup semi on Tuesday. Ben (happy birthday, Guru!) shuffled the pack with three changes, most notably Max beefing up midfield and Bradley starting up front while Dan recovers from a hamstring injury. Bradley was sensational, giving his best performance in an Ashford shirt by a country mile.

While we had the better of the chances in the first half, Redhill plugged away and caused us problems, and it was a slightly nervy single goal lead at half time, with Bayley placing the ball into the far corner from 15 yards out in the 17th minute. Maybe a suspicion of offside, but a fine strike and a deserved lead.

Redhill smashed a shot against the bar early in the second half and, try as we might, the reassuring second goal wouldn’t come, until the 73rd minute when Bradley scored with what looked like a cross-cum-shot. Brad then worked wonders on the right side of the box and cut in a vicious cross for Beads to thump high into the net in the 78th, and Brad scored a deserved second three minutes from time when Josh laid it over to him in similar fashion.

A disciplined performance by the lads on a hard, bobbly pitch and the reward came. Mention should go to Weighty, who tied for man of the match in the voting with the sort of rock hard display you expect from him, but Brad was a revelation. You really had to be there. As for getting back from there, big thanks to our esteemed chairman for agreeing to give me a lift home. Much appreciated.

I drove past the Kiln Brow ground, Redhill yesterday on my way to East Surrey Hospital.

I have to admit from what I could see, the ground looked exceptionally 'tired' !!

Archived