Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Today's game

Stu M

A point gained in the end, but in reality two dropped and we really have to start winning a few - the Git are now three points clear of us, and Farnborough only three behind.

Thought we played well in fits and starts but lapsed badly in the first 20 minutes of the second half. Should mention Abbey who played well and tried hard today. I'm not a big fan of his, but he won the ball back at the end to eventually get the penalty. Don't rate Oli at all from what I've seen so far - I'd have put Haworth on for him when it was 2-1.

Ref was appalling. Woking will complain the penno hit the guy on the chest and that Wilko should've walked (50/50 ball I thought) but he gave everything their way in the minutes in between.

Wilko was easily 50/50 ball, didnt see the pen incident, probably similar to what happened to skins at s'port last season. Leading up to their 2nd goal, i learnt a valuable lesson, harris showed me a perfect example of how to ruck over the ball in rugby! blatant foul, ref didnt give it, they scored.

They may moan at the penalty decision, but there was a clear foul on Drury in the lead up to their second goal, and they could only have themselves to blame at not making it 3-1 anyway - how on earth did theie guy get himself in an offside position - he only had to hold back a yard or two and would still have scored easily.

a tense game shame that the ref seemed so one sided for most of the game, on occassion seemed to be waiting for the appeal before making any decision. walshe had a cracking game and appeared to be everywhere.

good job the ball hit abbey on the leg for the first goal, surely it could not have been a shot!!

.....actually you'll be surprised to discover that it was a rebound off the keeper & a three yard tap in for Abbey.

Even you would have scored!

Question: at 2-1 down & seeming to be incapable of scoring, why weren't we chasing the game? Why did we not bring on an extra attacker?

The ref was another shocker. The 2nd Woking goal was indeed scored after a blatant foul but then again, why didn't our team play to whistle?

"A lacklustre performance"??

That is really being rather unfair to the effort the players put in, especially in the last half hour.

We were by far the better footballing side & put ourselves into trouble by carelessly giving the ball away on the first goal. The second, like our penalty, relied on some decidedly dodgy refereeing.

Woking only created 4 real opportunities as far as I recall - the 2 goals, the one Wilko pushed away and Moore completed the clearance, and the disallowed goal - I dont remember any other obvious chances for Woking.

What we lack, as we keep saying, is that cutting edge, the ability to finish a side off - several other chances today went just the wrong side of post or bar and their keeper made 2 or 3 decent saves as well.

Drury and Walshe both had strong games today - Drury faded out a bit for some periods of the game, but played a super ball in for Abbey's goal, and showed several other lovely touches as well.

Confidence is still the key - If we can get at least 4 points from the 2 Margate games, we could put a bit of a buffer between us and the bottom group as Tamworth face Shrewsbury twice over this period for a start. Northwich seem to be struggling even more than us as well.

Criticising Andy for lack of substitutions today is a little unfair as the side were not performing badly - perhaps we could have thrown on Rob Haworth or Louie Evans, but who would they have replaced? Oli perhaps, but forward for forward when a goal down? Would that have made much difference ? And had we committed an extra forward by taking off a midfielder, we could have left ourselves open to losing a 3rd goal on the counter, as this was where Woking looked most dangerous.

After the penalty, we came very close to winning it with that run and shot by Walshe that went inches wide.

The area we really have to work on is defending a lead - how many times this season have we got the lead, only to draw or lose the match?

I would settle for "1-0 to the Gravesend" becoming a regular chant, as that would earn us 3 points every time.

But dont knock the team today - my biggest complaint today was how quiet the crowd seemed to be even when we were probing for an equaliser - no drum, no singing - thats when the lads need us most - lets make sure we continue to support them at such times.

Agreed, Alan. It certainly wasn't a lacklustre performance. The effort & determination in the last 20 minutes was great to see. Ironically, I think it was the ref's incredible incompetence on several occasions during the first 15 minutes of the 2nd half which really got us going. How on earth did he allow the build up to their 2nd goal to comtinue, after the most obvious foul?

Oh & chaps, can we stop the gratuitous Ben Abbey knocking. Maybe my judgement is as [****!!****] as you reckon he plays, but I felt he had a decent game today.

Graham S

I thought we played well today and fortunately looked strong at the finish. The Radio Kent commentator was impressed as well. I'm afraid that we have to accept that there will always be those who enjoy criticising and 'picking' on people who cannot defend themselves, because it is not face to face. By the way, do any of you agree with what I felt, that we played the passing game a lot more today? I'm no expert, but I thought it suited us and I know quite a few people where I was said it was a good game and we looked promising. Well done boys.

Absolutely - we look far better when we don't play long-ball football.

I also thought Abbey had one of his better games for us today.

It was quite funny - a work colleague was at the game and he asked if I thought Abbey 'was not very good' and within a couple of minutes he scored!

There was plenty of determination in the final 20 minutes but would we have scored if we hadn't been awarded the penalty?

Still - bring on the festive games against homeless f.c. .....

I asked him to mention the rest of the team in the same manner.....

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:
The reason for the 'no drum' was that he left about 20 minutes before the end apparently!

Yes,he did leave early,i waved him goodbye.We did try our best to sing after he left but it was quite hard when nobody else joins in..speaking of that why don't the halfway liners sing instead of moaning at us for not singing?! Was relieved with the point yesterday, we started well then seemed to let it slip again. Didn't really agree with the radio kent bloke who said we deserved "at least a point."

Quote:
Fleet boy said:
FleetFanatic said:
why don't the halfway liners sing instead of moaning at us for not singing?!

I didn't see any self-declared halfway liners criticising anyone for not singing.

Incidentally, I hope that bloody roof is going to be put back on and not just left all season. The atmosphere is crap beneath open sky with tickertape fencing everywhere off.

Quote:
FleetFanatic said:There was plenty of determination in the final 20 minutes but would we have scored if we hadn't been awarded the penalty?

Indeed, Daz, we probably wouldn't have done. Although, as you say, the effort was there without question, we didn't have any clear-cut chances in the second half until the penalty incident came along. It was the same old story of creating all of our best chances in the first half and then tailing off in the second.

We always moan about how things don't go our way, but yesterday I think we certainly had some good fortune. Wilko's challenge may well have been a 50-50 ball, and I couldn't really tell for sure whether or not it was a foul, but once the referee has given a free-kick for it, you would expect him to produce the red card. Also, as Alan W says, Woking really made a mess of that 'goal' near the end that was ruled out for offside, while I felt that the ball hit the defender's chest regarding the penalty decision.

However, on a brighter note, our first half display was encouraging and we certainly created a lot more chances than of late. Also, I think I would have taken a point at the start of the game, considering Woking's current league position and their 4-1 win over Morecambe last week. Obviously, though, settling for a point in games like these is dependent on beating the sides around us near the bottom of the table, and so we desperately need to take some points off Margate over Christmas.

Despite all our huff and puff, a draw was probably a reasonable result. Fair play to Ben Abbey though, he worked really hard all afternoon and deserved his goal. Also though Protheroe looked a class act, always looking for a short accurate pass, which was more constructive than a neanderthal hoof downfield. He looks a class defensive midfield playmaker - so long as we play the short passing game.

When we do this we looked very good, when we play route 1 we look like a primary school under 7 side!!!!!

Does Andy actually practice that ludicrous blast towards the opposition corner flag from kick offs. WHAT IS THAT ALL ABOUT. My 4 year old daughter plays better football than that. Mr Pennock should ban that tactic even if Fordy likes it.

At least let us look as if we want to pass the ball.

Pleased to see Ben Abbey get a bit of credit today. I think that's at least the third time that he's got on the end of one of Drury's crosses. I don't think any of the other strikers would have got in that position. The one thing that worried me today was the lack of pace in the centre of defence, I know their front man was lightening quick, but we looked very lethargic in that position. Didn't think the penalty was justified, but doesn't anyone else feel we should have had one in the first half.

Agree with most points on here, especially praising Ben Abbey lol, hooray he finally scored, as long as he keeps doing it!! I dont understand what the drummer was doing, The other one was at Charlton I presume. But i thought it a bit bloody stupid to go 20 minutes befire the end when all that was needed was a goal to get us back into the game! Fair enough if we are losing 10-0 (although personally I always stay till the end)