Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Saturday 3rd September Match Thread

was going to be a quiet member this season as people just get fed up with me being grumpy & boring, but today i just can't be quiet.

Firstly i will not take anything away from Banstead as they are a very good side & deserve all the credit today as they could easily have won by more

This is my view & my view only & no-one elses at the club but today was an ​EMBARRASSMENT, ​but it's not just today though. it seems we haven't learnt from last season. Started so badly that I had to rant week after week, but at Christmas we seemed to have gone in the right direction & was really looking forward to this season. However this will be my last rant but its no better than last season start or even worse

I'll will never stop following the side, it won't be me....but I just will keep myself to myself & keep thoughts to me

sorry to be a moaner but that's what Grumpy does

Mr Big . I have I guess moved my following to Redhill although I was at Dorking today to witness there predicted victory . It seems the philosophy of young players being the way forward was abandoned for today at least as Hunte Lunn Miller Mothee Webber Gough and Brazil and even Russel to a degree have a few years behind them and don't appear to be any younger than a couple of other teams I've seen this year . Just mentioning this as there always to be such a major statement being made about young local players . It was all over the programme . I guess recent results may have played a part . Today's game lacked any quality whatsoever and on this showing both sides have a long season ahead of them . Mind you next week they may be world beaters and my insignificant post today can rightly be consigned to the what does he know category !Yawn

Yawn. 

Mr Big . I have I guess moved my following to Redhill although I was at Dorking today to witness there predicted victory . It seems the philosophy of young players being the way forward was abandoned for today at least as Hunte Lunn Miller Mothee Webber Gough and Brazil and even Russel to a degree have a few years behind them and don't appear to be any younger than a couple of other teams I've seen this year . Just mentioning this as there always to be such a major statement being made about young local players . It was all over the programme . I guess recent results may have played a part . Today's game lacked any quality whatsoever and on this showing both sides have a long season ahead of them . Mind you next week they may be world beaters and my insignificant post today can rightly be consigned to the what does he know category !

Just to answer with some facts, the players you mention have an average age under 25, and the starting XI's average age was under 23.

I counted about five references to "youth" in the free 34 page full colour programme.

No change to philosophy GoHaG, we were forced to change keeper due to injury ( and the replacement is a similar age), and Jimmy Brazil missed pre-season and needed a few weeks training before seasonal debut, and was impressive and solid before being replaced on 65 minutes.

Oh ok . My mistake . Match report which was published after my comment made reference to more experience being brought in which was what I was saying , but must have got my words wrong or they we're miss interpreted or I've unintentionally upset someone somewhere. Is an average age of those 8 at 25 or thereabouts youthful ? That's a question not a sarcastic comment .

Out of interest what are the average ages of teams in the CCL.

A comparison would be interesting given Dorkings apparent obsession with suggesting they are promoting youth over and above all others . Comment based purely on programmes ( surely 5 references to youth ) is enough for anyone and the twitter feed which seems to take every opportunity to say how young they are.

Anyway Redhill Wednesday to watch the youthful Shipton blah blah blah.

Eversley & California Fc 3 Redhill Fc 1

The game started fairly even with some half decent stuff being played. Redhill edged the first 20 mins and rattled the cross bar.

We then changed our shape and stopped them playing how they wanted. We got a goal to open the scoring through a break away. But from then on I felt controlled the game.

Second half started off again both teams playing some nice football. We took our chances second half in the rain and saw the game out comfortable in the end, fair play to Redhill never gave up tho and got a consolation goal at the end. However a solid performance from the Eversley lads.

Redhill have pace going forward and will be a threat in future games

Good luck for rest of the season

Ruggs

Oh ok . My mistake . Match report which was published after my comment made reference to more experience being brought in which was what I was saying , but must have got my words wrong or they we're miss interpreted or I've unintentionally upset someone somewhere. Is an average age of those 8 at 25 or thereabouts youthful ? That's a question not a sarcastic comment .

Out of interest what are the average ages of teams in the CCL.

A comparison would be interesting given Dorkings apparent obsession with suggesting they are promoting youth over and above all others . Comment based purely on programmes ( surely 5 references to youth ) is enough for anyone and the twitter feed which seems to take every opportunity to say how young they are.

Anyway Redhill Wednesday to watch the youthful Shipton blah blah blah.

For a bloke who says he's only casually followed Dorking Fc for about 18 months, and has now switched allegiance to Redhill, you seem to be the one with the obsessions GoHaG.

It is all a bit sad and boring now.

Wow . I will leave it there then . Reading between the lines I assume you think you know me Jeff . You do not . This is a forum and I had hoped my opinion having assumed an allegiance to Dorking was able to be posted without the aggressive responses you seem to post . I really don't care or want to take issue with you as I don't know you nor do I wish to given your rudeness .

If I bore you then don't respond !

Dorkings programme and twitter feed makes consistent reference to youth and I merely observed that a side with 8 players averaging 25 does not seem to be particularly young .

I wish you well and hope you achieve your publicised aims and ambitions as you must truly believe in them and moreover that they are being delivered despite the facts that suggest they are not . Good luck to anyone that dares to comment suggesting otherwise.

Wow . I will leave it there then . Reading between the lines I assume you think you know me Jeff . You do not . This is a forum and I had hoped my opinion having assumed an allegiance to Dorking was able to be posted without the aggressive responses you seem to post . I really don't care or want to take issue with you as I don't know you nor do I wish to given your rudeness .

Dorkings programme and twitter feed makes consistent reference to youth and I merely observed that a side with 8 players averaging 25 does not seem to be particularly young .

I wish you well and hope you achieve your publicised aims and ambitions as you must truly believe in them and moreover that they are being delivered despite the facts that suggest they are not . Good luck to anyone that dares to comment suggesting otherwise.

I'm the member of Dorking's board responsible for press and PR.

Over the past two years since we took over the club, I've resisted the temptation to jump in on any criticisms, gossip or speculation on the forum. But as you're now making defamatory statements - accusing us of being, at best, misleading in our public statements - I feel obliged to respond.

The problem is that you are using a completely arbitrary statistic to make your claim.

You're absolutely correct that, if you take the 8 oldest players in the team, and totally discount the three teenagers in the starting line up, the average age was about 25.

Equally, I could say that, if you took the 8 youngest players, the average age was 21. Is that better for you?

As either of us taking an arbitrary figure of 8 players is fairly meaningless, let's look at the facts across the whole team and squad and make our judgements based on that....

- The average age of our squad of 20 players is just under 22.

- Owing to injury and illness of a couple of younger players, the average age of the starting XI last Saturday was a little older, at just under 23

- In each of our five games so far this season, our starting XI has included 3-4 players aged 16, 17 or 18 (in fact, Saturday was the first time we had fewer than 4, for the reasons stated).

- More than 50% of our squad is from Dorking of the villages immediately adjacent and centred on Dorking.

These figures are all substantially different to the team at the end of last season following excellent work by our new manager Danny Fox and, even if other clubs may have more local or more young players (we don't claim to be superlative in this), I hope you'll agree they more than justify our statements about developing local, youthful players.

Of course, there are many different ways to run a football club at this level. We're not saying that this is the right way, but it's certainly right for us. It makes us distinctive in our town; promotes engagement with local people - many of whom wouldn't otherwise attend non-league football (our attendances so far this season are at the upper end in the league); and it's a policy that helped persuade the council to make a multi-million pound investment in rebuilding Meadowbank rather than selling it off for a supermarket - building work ther started this week.

Did Shipton play last night for your new club Redhill? Why mention him?

Anyway Redhill Wednesday to watch the youthful Shipton blah blah blah

Had the same response on other social media.

I really hope I dont know you GoHag, because if I do you've pissed me off and lost all respect.

Defamatory statements ????

Where exactly ???

Stating that 8 players averaging 25 may not be that young and asking openly what the average age of other CCL teams may be .

Awful example from a board member that 8 equalling 25 could equal 21 with three teenagers . What if Hart had played . What if Davis had played .

Shipton mentioned as one of the younger Redhill players that is not constantly referred to as the youthful / young Shipton.

Clearly no one has a monopoly on any approach to how a club should be run but from reading match day programmes and getting real time updates Dorking appear to over state the young bit .

Don't want to argue with anyone but really can't get this aggressive attitude .

Mr Mahony please explain what comment was defamatory and If I agree I will apologise . If you've thrown your weight around inappropriately perhaps you will do the same.

I was clear in my post what I considered defamatory. It's directly adjacent to my use of the word.

The point about the three teenagers I mentioned was that they were actually playing (unlike the two older players you are now quoting) and you arbitrarily chose to omit them while suggesting our team wasn't particularly young, Last time I looked, football was played by a team of 11 - and so arguing over the average age of just 8 is pointless, since we can both choose a different 8 to back up our point.

Where we are in terms of developing local and youthful players and including them in regular first team football is clearly set out in my previous post - notably the average age of the squad and the number of 16, 17 and 18 year olds regularly getting opportunities in the starting XI.

However much you throw about names and ages of more senior players (and it would be irresponsible of us to try and develop young players without giving them some senior role models) the opportunities those young players are getting are undeniably real - as is the significant investment we are making in Under 18s, taking on the responsibility for U18s for both the town's senior clubs this year, to ensure that the players we are introducing this season is just the beginning of a long term commitment.

If you still think we are overstating what the club is doing in the face of all that, then clearly I am never going to be able to persuade you otherwise.

What has it got to do with you giggle?

Your clearly bitter about dorking, why not got and support them as you say it's your team?! Ex manager or player written all over it pathetic.

When you reveal who you actually are il speak to you then.

I have to agree totally, Dalts !

Roger doesn't hide behind a pseudonym.

TSF doesn't hide behind a pseudonym.

I don't hide behind a pseudonym.

Everyone connected with DFC knows us personally.  Come to that Dorking Wanderers people also know us personally, so come forward and identify yourself Giggles, if you are man enough.

Incidently, your identity was discussed at Westhumble last Sunday by many, and we think we know......

And I think YOU know ME personally !

The word Troll springs to mind

Edited by Big J R