Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 CB 1

Swifty

Well, we're through to the next round, but not a game that will stick in the memory for long.

Maybe we should have been more than two up at the break against a CB Hounslow side who were as nondescript in the first half as their grey away kit. We took the lead in the 29th minute with a shot from a tight angle by Bitz which I, and a few other spectators on the Tangerine Terrace, thought had gone just over the bar and hit the netting at the back at first, and the muted goal celebration confused matters a bit. The decisive goal came six minutes later when the CB keeper dithered clearing the ball on the edge of his area and was dispossessed by Bitz, who unselfishly laid it on for Dan to slot home.

We allowed CB back into it early in the second half when Rachid Obaddy made it 2-1 in the 54th minute and we were out of sorts sporadically after the break. We could still have added to the tally, but CB had chances to equalise as well. As the game wore on, our opponents became more feisty – they were the most physical team I’ve seen visit so far this season, and we weren’t helped by an incompetent ref who looked to his linos much of the time before making decisions (or not) - and some of the players were on the overly chatty side to boot. CB’s number three was the worst offender overall and was lucky to stay on the pitch. He could have been booked three times in the match for his misdemeanours and ended up injuring himself with his last late challenge. One lad who was neither feisty nor verbose was our former player Harry Driver who acted as go-between on a couple of occasions. That totally threw me!  :-D

While I’m at it, big thanks to the two away fans who assisted me with their team’s goalscorer and substitutions – it turned out several of the away team’s numbers didn’t match those on the teamsheet – so much appreciated.

Archived