Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Abysmal Cup Form

The Crowing Cockerel

Once again our run in the cups splutters to an end by mid-November.

We were fortunate against a poor Canvey side, and it sounds very much as if we put on a lacklustre show against a team with 10 men for over half the game. Some may point to the FA Cup run last season, but, in truth, we should've beaten Chesham but once again didn't do ourselves justice.

The money from these cup competitions is so important, yet the side seems incapable of raising themselves on these occasions.

Any thoughts?

I don't pretend to have an answer CC to the obvious malaise we have when playing in cups. With the exception of last season, we never seem to have the same desire that other teams have, especially in the Trophy. 

I was also surprised to see that we played a friendly in the same week as a money winning cup round. One can only conclude the reason for it was, that Brad is stll not satisfied with the his squad, and he wanted to give a run out to some more trialists. I would have thought a full training session would have been more beneficial. 

It seems a paradox to suggest that ultimately the view taken is that it is best to have less fixtures and concentrate on reaching the play-offs. But to do so will mean better away performances against the teams above us.

Only time will tell !!!!

Having friendlies isn't a problem no matter when it is, however it obviously didn't help yesterday.

We lacked ruthlessness around the oppositions goal area, poor execution of pass's , inability to finish full let alone half chances cost us, we also lacked any luck.

We are an outstanding CH and a reliable finisher short of being a top 3 team in this division

We have a problem scoring goals. We know Bobby is aware of where the goal is and I thought his shot was our best effort and brought out an outstanding save. We know that Ottaway is not an out and out goal scorer but his effort, enthusiasm, height and skill makes him an excellent target man. So who is to partner Bobby? I don't believe that we have found that player yet. When we do the team will be unbeatable.

I'm at a loss as to why Brad brought Mendy on with 10 to go. He's given him lots of chances and to me, he brings nothing to the team. Why didn't he give Percy a go at his proper position ? He's got two good feet, he's physical, he can finish ( 1st goal against Hendon anybody ) and he'll run through a brick wall for you ! You can also use him as a backup Centre half !

There is plenty to admire about our Club, and everything that has been achieved in our short history, but results like Saturday, and the earlier FA Cup defeat at Hanwell Town, are very disappointing and unacceptable, not least in terms of losing us much needed revenue.

A good number of the Town faithful were at Kings Langley on Saturday, and most would have left depressed by the manner of this defeat, albeit against very capable, determined, do-or-die opponents.

CC is absolutely right to raise this topic, as it will have crossed many peoples minds, and the implications / knock-on effect could have serious repercussion on our prospects in the second half of the season, unless urgent action is taken by our football management team to address and rectify the situation.

The problem is that we really need the funds from a cup run - or two, don't we? Let's say we do manage to gain promotion, then surely we'd need as much money as possible to assemble a squad capable of being competitive in Conference South.

I appreciate that Bard is learning his trade, but there are times we need to show a little more nouse.

Having recovered, admittedly partially, I have to say that it was a quite sensational goal - 99% of players would simply have hoofed the ball as far as possible!

Footnote: Mr Amoo was making his Kings Langley debut, having only signed the previous Thursday!

Archived