Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Match day photography

Burger!

Have started bringing my camera to games this season and its a bit of a learning curve to say the least, have been to all the major race tracks around the UK following Motorcycle racing, even to the MotoGP in Laguna Seca so got the hang of the basics and lucky to have taken a few nice snaps but this football malarkey is a bit more of a challenge! I've come to the conclusion I can't watch the game as I would without the camera, I'm finding that I have to anticipate whats going to happen to be ready for a chance of a picture instead of actually "seeing" the game if that makes sense!

I'm lazy when it comes to settings, select Sport, AI servo, Point, Pan and keep finger on release button and sort them out later! Out of say 500 shots I expect perhaps 150 to be decent and maybe get 20 that are cracking action shots that make yer smile!

Must be doing something right as I'm now getting my pictures in the match day programme, to be honest it may not be my skills with the box Brownie but more like nobody else had a camera at the game!

Things I'm struggling with is low light, once the flood lights are needed the auto setting are to slow, some shots look pretty cool with all the speed blur but its no good to publish so I need a bigger, faster lens to let more light in and my Sigma 28-300 although great in bright/normal conditions is now struggling!  Oh how I need to win the Lotto.

I need a Canon 70-200 2.8, so have asked Santa but as I'm still awaiting my F.... bike from years ago so I'm not holding my breath.

• 1 month later...

If anyone is interested in my amateur attempts at taking match photos they can be found on the Redhill Pitchero website and also match day programmes.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/redhillfc/photos  

All taken using a Sigma 28-300 lens, which is ok for my abilities when its bright but once the floodlight come on I'm stuffed for quality so need a Sigma 7--200 2.8 or in my dreams the Canon version, but in the meantime I'll do what I can.

When I do actually get to go out and about, I use a Canon.

The facilities and options are brilliant, even for video in dim light.

When I do actually get to go out and about, I use a Canon.

The facilities and options are brilliant, even for video in dim light.

How big is your canon?

Archived