Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Rams 2

Swifty

We’ve completely lost our mojo. That’s one win in the last ten. We may well have deserved a draw at best and would have got one if we hadn’t conceded a very, very late winner but, for large periods of the second half, we made the team third from bottom look way better than their league position.

We started brightly but didn’t make it count, yet we got our noses in front in first half stoppage time when fine work by Bitz set Kam up for a shot across goal and into the far corner from ten yards. That advantage was snuffed out very quickly when no-one got within five yards of Jack McKnight on the edge of our box. His 49th minute leveller was well taken but his shot should have been avoided.

The game settled into a pattern of BSYCOB pressing us and our attacking more or less on the break (and having no luck in front of goal when we did persevere), then most of the talking points arrived in the last 14 minutes of play. It hadn’t been a dirty game at all, but skipper Weighty was given a soft second yellow in the 83rd minute, then two minutes later McKnight levelled the numbers up with a red card, apparently for kicking Joe Green (I missed the incident). Somehow, the ref saw fit to add seven minutes of stoppage time, and in the 96th minute we conceded a penalty which Rams sub Callum Bunting converted ruthlessly.

Terrace talk was about a popular player who has apparently left the club this week. If true, I’d like to thank said player for all his effort and skill over the past three seasons. In truth, the terrace chat was more entertaining than large swathes of the game.

By and large, this is the same group of players who gave one of the club’s best senior performances in creaming Barton Rovers but, since losing a three goal lead in the trophy at Tonbridge, we’ve lost confidence, we’re not get anything like enough shots at goal and when we do attack, luck evades us as that last touch or cross or attempt at goal agonisingly misses. I hate to say this, but our last few performances have been so flat, I’m glad for a rest from home games until Boxing Day. 

wow we have definitely lost our mojo swifty with that our style of play , our sleek passing that that has served us well seems to have disappeared , we have no width at all pumping it forward at every opportunity weighty s second yellow was harsh but the ref gave enough warnings , the pen was reckless , but truth is we are not creating enough , the said player will be missed he scored lots and had created loads we cannot afford to loose players of that calibre , set pieces were rubbish again corners not clearing the first man,  attendance seems to be down this season maybe the club should do a xmas deal to get people through the turnstiles to get people behind our team, come on ashford were better than this !!

Oh dear oh dear what an awful display by Ashford,we were pathetic, no pace,no enthusiasm,no skill,no desire no urgency,need I go on,all the symptoms of a team so lacking in confidence that it is painfull to watch.

It is now obvious to me that more than a couple of 1st team regulars are struggling and finding life hard at this level of football.Ben Murray has a tough task ahead to put the confidence and swagger back into the team I love to support and watch.

Just a question for you Ben, why was Scott Weight not subbed before he received his 2nd yellow and thus the sending off? with 1yellow to his name and the way he was playing the 2nd yellow was always coming.He will now be banned for 1 or more games and his experience will be missed,we need all the experienced players on the pitch to help the team get through this rough patch.

Who is the player that has apparently left the club?

I'd rather not mention said player in case things turn round, suffice to say he suffered an early season injury and has struggled to get back in the side on a regular basis, at least partly due to the performances of a recent signing. In some measure, it could well be the old catch 22 of lack of fitness equals lack of games and vice versa. 

Attendances have suddenly dropped from three figures to the 70s, though maybe Christmas shopping accounts for some of that decline. As for the 'Christmas deal', our next home game's on Boxing Day against Egham Town, kicking off at 1.00. An early afternoon local derby, it should attract a decent crowd.

The benchmark of our lads' confidence comes next week. Can we beat Histon, who've lost every single home league game so far this season? I know the answer I'd like to hear.

why was Scott Weight not subbed before he received his 2nd yellow and thus the sending off?

Probably because (1) he's our only fully combative up-and-at-'em player - we need at least one more to get a wee bit more 'muscle' about them - and he was sorely missed last time out, and (2) he was captain with Russ being suspended, and no-one else in the team looked up to taking over the armband with such effect. I understand Weighty isn't completely happy at being captain when asked to do so, but he's one of the few players who shouts and encourages and tells the lads what to do. One of our batch of young players needs at least step up to the mark and get a bit more authoritative and look skipper potential. I think the fact we actually subbed a midfielder for a defender to keep a point - and failed - shows our current lack of confidence. Hopefully the lads will go to Southall midweek with a carefree attitude, win the cup tie and move up the curve. I really want that to happen.

Archived