Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

3 points

Fleet fan

Just got back!Brilliant game,went 1-0,against the run of play,break down in communications between Wilko and Duku but to be fair it was a great finish. We then hit the bar and later got a goal back so 1-1 at half time. Then in the second half we ran the show,margate looked out of it,we made it 2-1 and then the dirty Sodje got sent off,then we got our much deserved 3rd. It could easily have been more, we hit the post,had a few goal mouth scrambles,a block of the line when their keeper had had a rush of blood to the head. Shame about Walshe getting injured in the first half after another dirty challenge,any word on him? We probably outnumbered the margit fans!!Don't think the stewards were to impressed by our drumming!!

"Gravesend gained three priceless points in the first leg of their Christmas/New Year double header against Kent rivals Margate at Dover.

They shrugged off the disappointment of conceding an early goal, and the loss of Ben Walshe just before half time, to produce a strong second-half display as they recorded their first win in four meetings between the two sides.

Gravesend goalkeeper Paul Wilkerson, so often the hero, was the villain this time being poorly positioned when beanpole striker Darren Watson swept Margate into a 12th minute lead.

Gravesend went close just past the half-hour mark when defender Francis Duku headed against the crossbar, before the game was held up for five minutes when Walshe needed treatment after collapsing holding his chest.

The 20-year-old had to receive oxygen from the first-aiders but recovered in the dressing room afterwards and did not need hospital treatment.

The stoppage seemed to affect Margate more than it did Gravesend and it was a real turning point in the game.

Gravesend forced eight first-half corners and from the last taken by Lee Protheroe, Chris Moore headed home the equaliser to send the teams in level at the break.

Gravesend then took the game by the scruff of the neck scoring twice in six minutes as Protheroe, whose loan from Canvey Island has been extended, crossed to the far post for Rob Haworth to rise to head home his first Nationwide Conference goal since early October much to the delight of the visiting fans behind the goal.

They were celebrating again soon afterwards when referee Russell played a good advantage following a foul on Andrew Drury and Ben Abbey swept the ball home with a dipping drive over stranded keeper Phil Smith.

Then Gravesend came close to adding a third when Steve McKimm saw his effort clip the bar.

Margate were reduced to ten men in the 69th minute when defender Sam Sodje was shown a straight red card after a clash right in front of the home dug-out.

The St Albans official consulted assistant Colin Plummer and fourth official David Buck before handing Sodje his second red card of the season.

Afterwards Gravesend manager Andy Ford said: "Everything went right for us but I thought we could have scored more goals." Meanwhile Margate manager Chris Kinnear was angry with his team's display saying: "We were second best all round. They were physically stronger than us but we knew all about that, and I think we should have stood up to them a bit more." The two teams meet again in the return fixture on New Year's Day, and it promises to be another feisty competitive occasion. "

Radio Kent said Walshe isn't too bad and should be ok for Thursday.....

.....great performance by the team - Sodje should have been booked twice for kicking the ball away in 2 seperate incidents, so justiced was served big time! Indeed a mix-up between Duku & Wilkerson for the Margate goal. Margate were awful from start to finish and Kinnear has already made some excuses on Radio Kent (maybe the Gravesend pitch will suit our game better / Gravesend were more physical) - Howarth ran his socks off - Evans did really well slotting into left midfield (Fordy was almost praising him on Radio Kent!).

3 points well won - same again New Years' Day too please!

Just taking the gloss off it all - on more than one attack, Drury hogged the ball too often when he could have put Abbey through. Although it didn't matter today, there will be games where we have few chances & moments like those could count!

You al ldeserved your win today with a polished performance and you are right , we were never in it. As for SODJE, I WAS THERE WHERE IT HAPPENED AND BELIEVE ME YOUR GUY HAD A GO AT SODJE FIRST AND AS THEY WERE GOING AWAY FROM EACH OTHER SODJES HEAD HIT HIS accidentally..It was as simple as that!.It WASN'T A HEADBUT OR ANYTHING MALICIOUS BUT IT LOOKED BAD AND YOUR CHAP WENT DOWN SO IT WAS NO SURPRISE TO SEE SODJE SENT OFF.

We never wanted this game and your lot did.We have got to get that "wanting it" FEELING GOING AGAIN.Lots of cracking goals today and congratulations as you really did pull a performance out of the bag today.I was really embarrassed by our performnce today and to finish there were 1030 there today so I dont think you actually outnumbered us though there were more dover fans there today, more than usual.Look forward to thursday when we really do have to lift our game.Well done all round

Even in glorious victory someone has to find a negative. Drury hog the ball I'd say just once in the whole game, when still in a good position to score. Do we want him to stop running with the ball? And I even heard someone leaving the game saying Ben Abbey isn't up to it. Please!!

Great performance can't find fault with anyone today. MOM Protheroe

"Gravesend then took the game by the scruff of the neck scoring twice in six minutes as Protheroe, whose loan from Canvey Island has been extended,"

I haven't seen any news on Protheroe's loan being extended, is this for a further month?

Arepeat of today's performance on Thursday would round the Xmas period off nicely. There was only one team in it today and even after we went one down I thought that we would win.

GFB

Cheers Dave,

Tried to get Radio Kent on the way home from the game but all I got was a load of interference...........

I've just read this on the Margit message board

Worst performance of the season from us. Referee was an absolute joke as wll. Worst ref of the season too. He truly was a disgrace and we were up against 12 men. But, Gravesend deserved it easily as we were second best all over the park. At times they strolled right through the middle without a challenge. They looked more hungry, showed more desire and we looked like a team that isn't being paid (could be the case? - wouldnt surprise me after that lacklustre display). Overrun, outplayed. A good side would have thumped us 6-0 today but luckily G&N aren't a good side! Hopefully we can turn it around at their place as I know we can. Just so unpredictable.

Also, I thought Haworth was an absolute DISGRACE for his dive near the end when our bloke was nowhere near him. The lack of disclipline all round was appalling from the G&N team.

Did Wilkerson have anything to do of note other than the goal, which I must say looked a fluke as it was from the byline about 35 yards out. Unless keeper was out of position (hard to see from behind goal up the other end however).

I've no idea what game this bloke was watching but it certainly wasn't the one I was at.

Oh and finally the match stats

The full time score is; Margate 1 - 3 Gravesend

Match Stats

Mar --------------------------- Gra

1 ------ Shots On Target ------ 4

0 ------ Shots Off Target ------ 9

16 ----- Fouls (Conceded) ----- 9

2 ---------- Corners ---------- 10

2 -------- Yellow Cards -------- 1

1 --------- Red Cards --------- 0

Leberl and Oates were booked for Margate, Sodje was sent off

This is also from the Margit board so they weren't interesed in our caution.

GFB

Quote:
GaryFB said:
I haven't seen any news on Protheroe's loan being extended, is this for a further month?

Yes and confirmed by AF on RK.

Thoroughly deserved win today. Kept the ball down and some good movement in terrible conditions. Margate were poor today or maybe we made them look bad.
Yes, Sodje got away with a couple of yellows earlier in the game and I agree with Cookie, McKimm made a right meal of the incident, lost his cool as usual, and got him sent off. Don't want it in our team, he can go and join up with Prendergast if he wants.

Great performance today, all played well, Protheroe was class and gets my MOM.
Same again Thursday lads, please.

Gary FB.That report has only JUST this minute come up on our website, AFTER you said it was on there! Me thinks you made it up, put it on our site and made out it was from one of our fans.Naughty naughty, troublemaker.Didn't need a lot of working out.

For your information the timing of REPORTS is out!!! It cant be changed as yet, no facility to do so apparently.Its about 4 hrs behind the real time.Having read it again I think it may be from one of ours but when it came up on the screen I was actually typing in a post myself. No matter, let it rest eh! Not really of that importance is it?

Cookie

I'm certainly not interested in stirring up trouble, and I'm sure that the both site's admins would be able to show that I am not "Diabolical" who posted the message that I've quoted.

As the match stats show you outfouled(?) us 16-9 and also convincingly won the card match so the indiscipline only appears to have come from one side.

Certainly sets Thursday up for a very interesting game.

GFB

Great game and a magnificent performance by the lads to end 2003. Now can we start 2004 the same way? What I find strange though, is that today we played on a terrible pitch and manage to keep the ball down for some excellent passing football that even allowed Abbey get to the ball, but at home on our brilliant surface we generally hoof the ball up in the air for “kick it and hope” type football which tends to go against us. So come on Andy the lads have proved that they can play the skilful stuff, let them go out there and do it. Oh and can you arrange some really heave rain for Thursday please.

Fantastic afternoon, thoroughly enjoyed the total pasting we gave Margate in the second half. At last - ball to feet for a reasonable period of time and we cut through their midfield and defence time and again. Protheroe was superb, I'd love to sign him, thought Abbey again looked like he was up for it and given a decent run I think he can only improve - couldn't believe people were still on his back. Evans played well and nice to see Owen back.

As for Margate saying we were undisciplined...er, the ref must have spoken to four of them in the first half and could have booked them. Where does Kinnear get off thinking he can enter the field of play at will (and not get cautioned)? So glad he lived up to his stereotype - we were taking the p*ss, saying he'd probably complain Margate were a small club, and Gravesend a lot bigger, and that's exactly what he said on RK. Another three points on Thursday just to listen to the jumped-up ponce again would be very nice!