Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Silkmen boss praises his side after Oxford draw

FF News

Macclesfield Town manager John Askey was left full of praise for his team against Oxford United in the FA Cup Second Round, after an impressive performance from the Silkmen.

Despite the game finishing 0-0, Macc were the better team on the night, but were unable to break the deadlock against the League One side.

Speaking after the game on Friday night, Askey said: “I couldn’t ask for more from the team, they did great. I thought not only was the effort there but the quality was good as well, it was just the final pass, the final shot that let us down.

“Overall though I thought it was a good game, and hopefully a good game for the people who were watching it on TV – it shows us in a good light”.

The game was televised on BBC2, with a lot of attention on the Silkmen in the build up to the game, and Askey was delighted with how the players handled the match.

“The lads have shown that they can handle the occasion, that’s the main thing,” he said. “Obviously I know them inside out and I’ve had most of them for quite a while now.

“I know there are some lads there that should be playing at a higher level, and we’ve got lads who are older that have played at a higher level; it’s nothing new really, we know that but we’ve got to do it week in week out as well”.

The Silkmen will now have a replay at Kassam Stadium, with the date yet to be confirmed, but Askey is confident that his team can come out on top when the two sides meet each other again.

“It’ll be very difficult, they’re good opposition and they’re at home as well. They’ll probably go home from tonight’s game thinking they got out of jail a bit so they’ll be looking to prove a point in the replay, but hopefully we can match them and you never know”.

Source: www.mtfc.co.uk

Source

Archived