Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 1 Eagles 1

Swifty

Another non-win, another okay-ish performance, and another match where a draw was the most we deserved. A clean game played in good spirit, but there was a bit of old style pushing and nudging by our visitors which the ref never got hold of. In fact, he looked unwilling to get involved in the game overall.

We started well with Kam scoring a tenacious solo goal in the 5th minute, but we let Bedford Town back in it with an unmarked header for Lee Roache from six yards out in the 18th. Having had a bit of purpose about us before the break, we were bereft for much of the second half, only managing our second shot after the break in the 79th minute when we were awarded a penalty (for the second foul in the box during the move) but, to the surprise of many on the terraces, Bitz didn’t take it. Instead, Flemmo blazed the spot kick horribly over the bar. The lads dug in and pushed for a winner but we never properly tested the Eagles keeper. At the other end, Tyler didn’t have much to save in the game but was very alert snuffing out some probing through balls.

Bedford were nippy and sassy up front, and Tyler and our defenders did a fine job, though our visitors and their coachload of fans might feel they had their chances to take all the points. Unfortunately, our midfield didn’t provide enough chances and, when we did get near the ‘oppo’ goal, at least one of our forwards slunk back after attacks had broken down, leaving us prone to the offside flag for our next move upfield. The vast majority of players who walked off straight after the game and didn’t feel sorry for themselves got the smattering of applause they deserved. I'm afraid somehow we need to shake up the midfield and especially the attack. Not sure how or why we've struggled in recent weeks, but something's gone amiss.

While I’m at it, a couple of quick requests for the committee – I realise I entered the ground later than usual today, but could someone please tell me before the match next time if Christmas Tree Dan’s not there to do the post-match announcements, and could someone try and save at least one teamsheet for tannoy purposes when the printer starts working again? 

An apology is necessary. I didn't realise the club had emailed me earlier today saying Dan had flu and could I do the tannoy? Trouble was, I didn't feel well today (I was ill the whole of last weekend - no football at all! -  and still feel rough) and didn't check my emails before heading to the ground, and I was unaware of the situation until I'd cheered the lads onto the pitch!

I've ordered another mic off Amazon. It might be rubbish but you never know, it might work better than the current one! If I remember to bring it, I'll give it to one of the committee at Kempston Rovers - the only ground I've yet to hop in this division. Just when you all thought you'd get a peaceful Saturday!

I've been at the club for ove 3 years and the club on the pitch since ive been here has never been in a better shape on the pitch. There is at least 6 of our players who have been offered double the money they are being paid to go elsewhere but have stayed at the club. We are newly promoted team into a league who has a budget that 100 percent is in the bottom quarter of the league yet we've competed in every game we've played in this season.

I fully respect respect anyone opinion who comes to watch us but I'd say the grass isn't always greener on the other side. The squad we have at the moment has got us promoted and competing in a league we were relagated from 3 season ago.

Tommy

swifty how many go down ? because that was bad if we continue to play that style of football we will be down the bottom ,its not that we should win every game there be some games when were just beaten by a better team but we are playing poor, knocking it long and not even great balls it doesn't work . set pieces again are very poor ,we cant complain about the result if we cant get the basics right, the 3 furthest men up the pitch constantly moaning at other team mates I heard that loads yesterday we had a spell in the second half when we resorted to playing  attractive

passing football and it looked like we would score other than that no chance great to have tyler back he gives confidence to the back line russ, bailey ,alex and bailey were brilliant even when either of them players got forward that's when we looked mostly to score I'm not going to marlow last time the journey was horrendous and I don't think our playing style will change for that game so gonna give it a miss £9 sat was definitely not value for money for 25 mins of football the rest kick and hope sad thing is I know were better than that !

What a boring game,yes we got of to a flyer with Kam's goal in the 5th minute but sadly that was the only bright spot in an dour performance by Ashford, and it was all down hill from there highlighted by giving Bedford a free header( the player was completely unmarked) and then watch the defenders argue amongst themselves as to who should have marked him, and a penalty kick by Dan Fleming that was so bad the Bedford supporters were happily laughing at him.

To me Swifty the answer is obvious as to Ashford's free fall down the table,as I have said before there are several 1st team regulars that are finding the step up difficult to cope with,2 out of the 3 main goal scorers for Ashford are so out of form that if Ashford had a reserve side they would be in it. In my opinion poor team selection by the manager, why was Will Boye left on the bench?( He never got onto the pitch), why was Scott Weight left sitting on the bench until midway into the 2nd half?

Ashford desperately need new blood in the side.

Nearly all the problems can be worked out on the training ground, a lot of hard work to be put in by the players and management alike.

I'm not very good at phrasing myself, am I? (I also realise I'm one of the few happy to stick my head over the parapet and say something.)

I didn't mean get new players in, I meant 'shake them up' as in try and somehow get the lads back to how we were prior to Barton Rovers, get it sorted in the training sessions, maybe rest the odd player or re-jig the formation (e.g. Sami's very versatile) and let someone else show us what they can do. I'm puzzled as to what's happened in recent weeks. It's interesting to see the camaraderie at the club within the players - we're very much an underdog side and can't afford much apparently, but players like it here and that's no bad thing.

To answer Ashford Follower, the bottom two go down from our division - it's tougher in the division above us where the bottom four get relegated. Usually about 38 to 40 points would be enough to avoid the drop but, unless Histon and Petersfield Town start getting play-off style results, we're probably already safe for this season. Interesting to see Histon did the double over Petersfield Town yesterday, managing their first home win / non-defeat in the league this season.

Just out of interest, as I have no clue about the admin / league rules / financial side of this, and I'm sure there would be a lot of hops to jump through, but what are the pros and cons of running an under 18 team against a reserve side?

AshfordBee19 probably didn't recognise Weighty on the pitch as he didn't clatter anyone for once! (Sorry,Weighty! ;) )

Actually, Weighty's a good example of a player who left, came back and has bolstered the team. We needed someone with a bit of nous who encourages the younger lads on the pitch and he's done exactly that. 

I thought the team played OK yesterday against a well organised ( aren't they all?) Bedford team. I thought that the big plus was that our defending has improved a lot ( except for the goal). The problem is that, in the past few weeks, lost the ability to create and score goals. It is very puzzling as we have nearly the same team as earlier in the season when we were  scoring goals for fun. All very puzzling but am sure that the likes of Mark Bitmead and Dan Fleming on the scoresheet again soon. Incidentally I thought it was good to see Alex Fisher joining in attacks in the second half. We look more dangerous when he pushes forward.

We are going through a dodgy patch but don't lose the faith!

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but my view is that much of the criticism from Saturday is very unjustified.  I actually thought it was a decent match against good opposition and  I would wager my house on the fact that had we scored from the penalty or any other opportunity and won the game late on, but otherwise played exactly the same, there would be nothing but praise for the side.

As to budgets I have no idea of any other club's budget and would love a pound for every time over the last 50 years that someone has come up to me and told me what other clubs are paying when they cannot possibly know, especially given the general tendency of players  to exaggerate on occasions.  I know our overall budget but not what individual players receive and neither does the Chairman.  It is solely a matter between the player and the manager.  Common sense suggests that the bigger clubs in the division i.e. with larger gates, may well pay more than us, possibly including Bedford, who were a Step 3 side until this season but none of us really know.

As to team selection, yes I was surprised that Will didn't start just as I have been for many other players over the years.  There is invariably a reason which in this case may be because Tuesday's match is likely to be a more physical encounter and Ben wants Will for that, or maybe he missed training last Thursday, or whatever.  I have often asked afterwards about this or that player and very often there is a good reason that I haven't thought of.  Scott Weight started the match by the way.

I shall be at Marlow tomorrow hoping to see us complete our first double of the season.

I think most of the comments on these posts are very fair ,no one is questioning who gets picked and who sits on the bench that's the managers job and how much they get paid ,honestly I'm not interested, I'm interested in how we play as I v said before I know we cant win every game there s just to many games when we have come away thinking we could have won that by getting basic things right if one player has taken 8-9 free kicks and they haven't tested the keeper try something different ,if a midfield player is not performing swap him , the same all over the pitch, we have a quality team from front to back and any one who disagrees that the results have not been good enough are burying their heads in the sand , we then get slated on social media for posting a comment by people running our club not even the players who have conducted themselves like the men they are,  ref to comments like village idiots and 70% of people watching haven't a clue happy to take our £9 on the gate without supporters there would be no club, this is a fans forum I might add if iv offended any one I apologise that's not my intention

Archived