Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

The Future Of Our Premier Division

Chris Clapham

I think it's a great idea. All it needs also is play offs! As I strongly believe 5-6 sides in ccl are stronger than bottom 5-6 in Ryman. The league needs something!!

One promoted out of 23!! Not right.

Just my opinion.

The League has not yet formulated an official response to the proposals which have only just reached us.

One immediate thought is that there is a big difference between Grade F and Grade D at present.  I can see clubs throughout the country being allowed up with a Grade F (which may well mean they do no work until they have been promoted) and then being relegated a year later because they haven't been able to meet the grading requirements to stay at Step 4.  Neither do I like the idea of our league going down to 20 clubs in the Prem, although that is a personal view.

I also hold the view that Step 5 leagues with a Step 6 division should be allowed to set their own grading requirements to reflect the different situations in different parts of the country.  By all means have a national standard for entering the FA Cup or Vase but with just 18 clubs in Step 6 divisions, lights are hardly necessary so long as you are happy not to enter the national competitions.

It should also be stressed that these proposals are in the preliminary stage and have not yet been adopted or even much discussed by those who will be affected.

The League has not yet formulated an official response to the proposals which have only just reached us.

One immediate thought is that there is a big difference between Grade F and Grade D at present.  I can see clubs throughout the country being allowed up with a Grade F (which may well mean they do no work until they have been promoted) and then being relegated a year later because they haven't been able to meet the grading requirements to stay at Step 4.  Neither do I like the idea of our league going down to 20 clubs in the Prem, although that is a personal view.

I also hold the view that Step 5 leagues with a Step 6 division should be allowed to set their own grading requirements to reflect the different situations in different parts of the country.  By all means have a national standard for entering the FA Cup or Vase but with just 18 clubs in Step 6 divisions, lights are hardly necessary so long as you are happy not to enter the national competitions.

It should also be stressed that these proposals are in the preliminary stage and have not yet been adopted or even much discussed by those who will be affected.

Many thanks, Alan.

In my opinion the way football is going that 20 teams in the Premier Division is the only sensible idea.  However I also feel that you probably do not need so many clubs in the leagues above as well.

When I started watching this level midweek football was part of it and in the main teams would travel with a side similar to their Saturday games.  And those were the days of midweek treks to Royston and deepest Essex !  Now days it appears to me that sides genuinely struggle to put out a strong squad on a Tuesday evening for games so actually dropping the number of midweek fixtures would be sensible.

In my opinion the way football is going that 20 teams in the Premier Division is the only sensible idea.  However I also feel that you probably do not need so many clubs in the leagues above as well.

When I started watching this level midweek football was part of it and in the main teams would travel with a side similar to their Saturday games.  And those were the days of midweek treks to Royston and deepest Essex !  Now days it appears to me that sides genuinely struggle to put out a strong squad on a Tuesday evening for games so actually dropping the number of midweek fixtures would be sensible.

I agree Kroons.

It also shows you how times have change, financially over the last decade or so.  Mid-week games aren't that easy for some now.

Times have changed, targets are being set in the workplace and it’s the norm to work late in the week or be asked to. Also, self-employed need to bang in the hours as margins go down to compete. This doesn’t just effect the players, management and volunteers it also effects the supporter.

With so many fixtures in the Combined Counties plus cups it is becoming extremely difficult for players to give 100% commitment to mid-week matches and training.

The combined Counties should be made up of three divisions with a max of 16/18 teams. No midweek fixtures and no need for lights. My take on it is less may mean more for clubs!

This way you keep the good players engaged and in the game, it reduces how much per annum it costs to run the clubs, it would probably increase gates at a weekend, the pitches would be much better with less maintenance costs and the football played on these better surfaces would undoubted improve.

I know the above will never happen and for that I thank you or we would not have the quality of players we have at our level playing on just a Saturday. 

;)

Certain clubs choose to enter various supplementary cups that they don't have to, if they don't want so many matches.  To be honest, Camberley are a prime example. 

That is their choice though Lazarus and plenty of clubs do not enter a lot of cup competitions.  So it is a choice thing they don't have with league games. 

I have had a tot-up and 16 out of 23 Prem Div clubs chose this season to enter additional supplementary 1st Team cup competitions that they didn't have to, even though they have 44 league matches to play.  That suggests to me that those clubs want more than 44 games in a season so if the Division goes down to 20 clubs, thus 38 league matches, more will choose to do the same.

At last season's AGM one club voiced concern at the number of league fixtures, yet they were one of the 16 above.

I also suspect (re article in Eastbourne paper) that it is wishful thinking that many, if any Step 5 leagues in the South, will have any extra promotion places from Step 5-4.  The assumption being drawn by many is that all or most of the extra places after normal promotion, will come from the North so as to address the current imbalance between North and South.  There is certainly a desire to see the Northern League supplying more clubs willing to be promoted and this could well be a way of bringing them in, if it results in less travelling for them (and if promotion is made compulsory).  It's all speculation though at the moment.

Never knock level 5. Promotion to 4 will involve longer trips. In my opinion even after the proposed shake up of Non League, being in a level 5 setup like the C / C is the best for teams unless a sugar daddy is looking after the affairs, H W will win the league and I'm guessing Southern S W will be their reward.

Never knock level 5. Promotion to 4 will involve longer trips. In my opinion even after the proposed shake up of Non League, being in a level 5 setup like the C / C is the best for teams unless a sugar daddy is looking after the affairs, H W will win the league and I'm guessing Southern S W will be their reward.

Don't think anyone is knocking it but, with a runaway league winner, the season does get a bit flat in the last third of the season for most clubs.

The fact that 5 or 6 clubs regularly apply for promotion suggests it might be nice to get a play off promotion place added though how that would work I don't know.

Chris, you know the playoff system is not plausible at level 5. Too many teams would need to get relegated from the step 4 leagues. Good idea though, it would weed out the weaker teams from that level. Shame if a team has spent out big money for promotion only to only last one season.

The Vase is always a possibility, the Trophy "impossible dream"

Archived