Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Merstham

littlehampton

Agree with most comments. Firstly Karl Oliyide is an excellent addition to the squad, strong and quick. He disappears from the play then pops up with a goal and other scoring opportunities, he should of had 3 today and still 21. Won a penalty too. Outstanding in my opinion.

The Ref was ok, but yes he let Merstham players off with two cynical challenges but that didn't mean we lost.

As LS stated we had the chances to win but Merstham had some very good forwards of there own who we struggled to contain, they will win more than they'll lose between now and the end of April.

We can still make the play offs but it'll take a gigantic effort similar to last season when we went 15 games unbeaten winning 10-11 of them, so it can still be done. 77 points the target 80 to be safe that's 10 wins 3 defeats, it'll need a massive effort but I wouldn't put nothing past Brad in achieving it.

Were an ok side... capable of beating and losing to anybody ... I do believe you finish a long season where you deserve to be and at the moment that is where we are... how do we improve with the squad we have ? That's down to Brad but it's a good club to support when you see ten wingate fans behind the goal at home and three Mersham fans at the town yesterday you have to say there's rarely a dull moment supporting the town....

As I am unable to attend matches for at least another month I have to rely on the input on forum members for information.

What I have read so far regarding yesterdays match could have been written at

anytime in the past three years. The most poignant of the current ones is that of

AndyEtfc who I believe hits the nail on the head.

For the past few years I have come back to the same argument. WE never seem to

play a system which plays to the teams collective strengths and talents. Whether

it be organisation or discipline. It all seems to be ad-hoc and that is why, as so many put it, our play is so inconsistent.

In the official report very little is said of HO contribution yesterday. I have

readily acknowledge his ability at this level. But his attributes could be our

weakness. It makes our play so predictable. If we are to use our strengths we

should consider starting with three fast aggressive players up front before

opposing defences can settle.

I also appreciate Steph1's observations and would also like to

hear the answers to some of his questions.

Now is the time to go for it for as things stand we will be asking the same sort

of questions again next years

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Yesterday was a tactical disaster.. who on earth was meant to be helping Samir ... the supporters could see it after five minutes but Bradley failed to adjust... even when Tyler came on he played centre as he has done the last three games when he's come on... No one questioned HO when he was superb against Finchley so why now... it's not his fault Quinton failed to address the problem in defence nor could he help crook heading over from three yards or Harold shooting over from even closer....

I agree no one questioned HO against Wingate but that's not the point.What do they say about " One swallow etc".

My observation, and not for the first time, is that we appear to have only one system and other teams are aware of this. It is

built around HO playing continually with his back to goal. It has been the same system for over a year. All I am saying is that if we are to progress

either the system has to change or you find players capable of playing to it.

Unfortunately, one or two in defence show to much of a gung-ho spirit, and forget

their first duty is to defend.

This has to be down to team management as much as players abilities.

Yes it's a very good club to support but it would be nice to see some further progression.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Agree with most comments. Firstly Karl Oliyide is an excellent addition to the squad, strong and quick. He disappears from the play then pops up with a goal and other scoring opportunities, he should of had 3 today and still 21. Won a penalty too. Outstanding in my opinion.

The Ref was ok, but yes he let Merstham players off with two cynical challenges but that didn't mean we lost.

As LS stated we had the chances to win but Merstham had some very good forwards of there own who we struggled to contain, they will win more than they'll lose between now and the end of April.

We can still make the play offs but it'll take a gigantic effort similar to last season when we went 15 games unbeaten winning 10-11 of them, so it can still be done. 77 points the target 80 to be safe that's 10 wins 3 defeats, it'll need a massive effort but I wouldn't put nothing past Brad in achieving it.

EU, as we all know, football is a results business. Everything is possible, but action speaks louder than words, and now it is down to our players to show in our remaining fixtures, that we have the quality, character, and determination to reach the play-offs. It looks a tough call, but until it is mathematically impossible, let's keep believing in miracles - as sometimes they happen!

The next 2 games are massive - we really need 2 wins against Tonbridge and Worthing, both away, if we're to be anywhere near contention. Yes, miracles do happen (Leicester anybody?) but if we lose to Tonbridge and they win their game in hand we'll be 11 points behind - the same gap as Liverpool are behind Chelsea. Not too many arguing that Liverpool will win the league this year! Would love to be proved wrong - on both counts!

On the subject of Harry, I thought he was one of our better performers yesterday, don't think he's the problem. Its natural that after such a great performance last week we play the same 11 this week - but probably the system required for playing a top team is different to that for playing a lower team. Liverpool too are beating teams at the top, then struggling against teams at the bottom - both teams seem to struggle with a plan B. In some games both are guilty of throwing too many players forward, and the midfield not providing enough protection for the defence. Micky and Billy must have covered every blade of grass yesterday but 2 players in there is not enough - thought we were a little naive tactically yesterday.

That said, even though Merstham's Nos 9 & 10 were dangerous, we really should have won the match.

I think we are missing some key facts. Yes the main fact which matters is the 2-3 outcome. But we could and should have scored 7-8 goals we were wasteful. Merstham took their chances well and impressively.

I wouldn't say they were the better team.

On the Liverpool examples they battered and outplayed Swansea, Hull and Burnley this season not to mention Wolves. 70-75% + possession 25-30 attempts at goal but lost. It's about taking your chances and in Saturday we didn't.

We move on as it's been said Tonbridge, Worthing and the next 4-5 games are must win scenarios not to say others won't drop points too so that we stay in contention with 4-5 games remaining.

Keep the faith be positive otherwise give up