Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ash Trees 2 OD’s 3

Swifty

A thoroughly undeserved defeat, with the visitors snatching victory very late on having been allowed to keep all eleven on the pitch, which was baffling.  We played well, very well in parts, but paid a big price for some defensive frailties and, despite concerted pressure, we didn’t reap the rewards.

Several changes needed to be made to the team, due to injuries (Russ), unavailability (Sammy and Webby) and departures (Kameron English having signed for Marlow this week after they made an approach). Romario was back in the side, Theo got a start and Elijah Ogunseye, who signed for us this week, made an impressive debut until he needed to be subbed. Hope the injury doesn’t keep him out for long.

We got off to a bad start when, despite there being five defenders to their two attackers, AFCD took a 7th minute lead through Jermaine Hall. The lads dug in and were ahead by the half hour, with keeper Gary Malone unable to gather shots and Dan poaching a brace in the 24th and 30th.

It would have been handy to see the half out with a lead, but Will brought an attacker down in the box in first half stoppage time and Hall scored his second from the spot. We then gave our best attacking display for a long while in the second half but got caught cold in the 88th minute when a looping cross saw Nathan Frater able to head home unmarked, which was the cue for AFCD to celebrate as if they’d won promotion.

AFCD had looked impressive for the first half hour but, once they went behind, they showed a different side to their game. rJosh Humbert should have received two yellows and Leon Cashman was also lucky to stay on the pitch. Referee Stu Kyle was woefully inconsistent. On three occasions during the game, AFCD defenders hauled our forwards down with arms round the neck but only one got booked and, having booked a forward for diving in the penalty area, a second Tom Daley effort went uncarded. Meanwhile, Bitz and Dan were booked for dissent for contesting one of the obvious fouls. Frustrating to put it mildly.

You couldn’t fault our lads’ workrate today and we definitely deserved at least a point for our efforts. Not the first time this season we’ve been on the wrong side of some awful officiating, which has probably cost us half a dozen points over the season, but heads need to stay up and the character shown today needs to be remembered and repeated.

I agree we deserved at least a point but that's football and we cant keep blaming the officials at this level they do get it wrong like a lot ! the lads played with grit and determination we cant  not keep giving pens away and stupid free kicks that's just madness I do think our style of play changed slightly with kam on the wing he was a player that liked running at defenders  rather than feed the striker leaving dan isolated so lets go back to how it was and get mark and dan banging in them goals like yesterday come on you tangerines !!!

A much better display by Ashford, I know we didn't win but on the whole a good solid team performance.

Good to see Dan Flemming back amongst the goals, and a couple of new faces whose names I have yet to remember, I wish them well in playing for Ashford.

Really sorry to read that Kam English has gone to Marlow he was an excellent player for Ashford in the relatively short time he was with us, good luck to him and thanks for your commitment to the club.

Archived