Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Havant & Waterlooville

Surely it's now time to start trying something new. What can we lose. Rather now

than the first 4/5 games next season when we are still searching for a side.

It must be obverse to most supporters that constant balls in the air to HO has

been a disaster, not for the want of trying by HO, but because it is so easy to defend against.

Over the course of this season we should now be able to recognise what is required for a team to gain promotion from this league. I don't wish to sound disloyal but we have quite a way to go to achieve this. Yes we have some very good players but from what I have seen ,to compete at the top of this league, we have still some way to go.

It is essential that steps are taken now to retain the best of our players.

It is also the time for a general re-think by the management with the view to

formulating a realistic plan as how best to achieve this. It would also be good to see a policy statement as to the direction they wish to take the club,

particularly if they wish to raise more revenue.

Because to go onwards and upwards means that more income will be required.. Easier said

than done.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

It is such a shame that Brads exciting attacking football cannot be successful... He is new to management and his vision of how he wants the team to play makes for great watching but he hasn't learnt how to combine this attacking flair with solid defending... more experienced managers have seen us play the same way for two years and now set teams out to expose our weaknesses.... I would still love to see Kirby take over if his commitments allow it as his defensive knowledge would be invaluable.....

some fantastic substitutions from Quinton ... Samir for Tyler... Darnell for Bobby and himself for mickey...

Sorry, beg to differ. The first two were pointless like - for - like swaps that arguably weakened the line - up, and Brad really should have been on earlier, together with Nathan Livings.

Have to say that some of the teeth-gnashing on this forum after a defeat is OTT in my opinion. Havant are 2nd in the league for a reason - the table doesn't lie with 10 games to go. Their front 2, the 9 and 10, have scored a hatful of goals this season and they fully deserved the win yesterday. Their finishing was superb. They were better than us all over the pitch for most of the match, except for the last 15 minutes of the first half. Fact is they have a title to play for - and we're not going to make the playoffs. And I think the match reflected that. It's not that we didn't want the win - we did. But we didn't NEED the win. At this level, that makes a difference.

I don't get to too many games but monitor our progress with interest. For me, our target each season has to be push for the play-offs, a cup run or two would be great, and DON'T GET RELEGATED. So I don't buy into the doom and gloom merchants if we don't finish in the top 5. For me this season has been OK. Personally I don't think we're ready for Conference South. Not yet, anyway. Financially it would be a big step up. Can we, as owners of our club, increase our contributions by the 50% I guess we would need? Far more important that our club remains stable and secure, and continues to provide a service to the community - which we do excellently.

It's easy to post Brad this and Brad that but the reality in this league is that, typically, the playing budget is commensurate with the finishing position. I think our playing budget is top 10 and guess where we'll finish?!

I hope Brad experiments through the last games. We need to persevere with the likes of Dernell Wynter and give the guy promoted from the under 18s some playing time. How will they become the next Corey Whiteley if they're not playing? I think we're light a right wing back and we probably need another centre back. Kirby is still a fantastic player but he's at the tail end of his career, not the start. I think our midfield is solid but we haven't clicked up front. Plenty of others have posted about the positives and negatives when we play Harry up front so no need for my thoughts. That's what Brad is paid to do and I trust his judgement.

And spare me the posts expressing shock and horror when players move on. That is a reality at this level and won't change. Even if we find a pearl, another Corey, and offer him a contract, we can't offer a contract for longer than 1 season. We'd be foolish to. What if the guy is a 1 month wonder? And then we have to keep paying him not to play for the rest of the season? If he's good and merits playing at a higher level, we make the most of the time we have him, let him see out his contract and wish him well. There's no better advertisement for our club than giving players a chance, improving them and seeing them progress. Yes, it would be nice to be rewarded financially for doing so but unfortunately that won't be through a transfer fee. This is something the FA needs to look at, so clubs like ours are fairly recompensed for that development.

So for me, all is far from lost. I'm just enjoying watching a game from our own ground and am proud to part own my club.

Good post apart from, "I think our midfield is solid". The only midfield attacking wing back who frequently gets to the byelineis Tyler. The ball from the byeline away from the goalkeeper puts the goalie in an area of doubt does he come out to collect or remain on the line. Tyler's problems are he is weak on the ball on first contact and when he has control of the ball he is a head down player and never has enough time. However he does make runs to the line and for that in the present set up he is invaluable. Our forwards are too often collecting the ball with their backs to goal so they loose precious time as they turn to face the goal. The best chances always come from a ball in front of the player on which he can run on facing the goal.

Another problem as mentioned above is our midfield is too slow in the build up. We always make more passes than should be necessary to get to a goal scoring position. We are good on possession stats but poor on chances.

Edited by Steph1

Player for player we are as good as any of the top teams. we started the season poorly destroyed a poor Hendon side and turned a corner for a sustained period but missed a lot of chances to pick up points because we were not bold enough to turn draws into wins. We have flirted with the play offs but when the opportunity arose but didn't have that tiny bit extra to get in and put pressure in those around us. Also while others strengthened their benches towards the back end of the season we lost a few good players who weren't getting game time right at the same time Scott's red mist came down. We can't really change a game from the bench if we are chasing now. We can consolidate but that's not much use when substitutions seem to be very reactive often after losing a goal.

In my view we should keep the core of the squad and management team together as far as possible and add some guile in forward positions. We should be able to find a way of playing with and without Harry working on having players that fit in to a 442, 433 and our usual 352.

if we can do that we will get into the top 3 or 4 no doubt.

Sorry I can't agree to believe we should finish tenth because that's where the budget dictates... we have shown that we are capable of competing with the best but time and time again we are found wanting tactically... we need a manager who is flexible who can adapt to different situations like yesterday.... how many times have we walked away from games thinking "how didn't we win that " I used to think we were unlucky but not any more ... now I think " we have been out thought " ... we cannot keep playing the same way week after week and not expect other experienced managers not to work us out....

Sorry Father Jack it was just me being sarcastic... like you I found the substitutions absolutely pointless like so many times in the past....

Sorry Mr T, it was early morning and I didn't have the sarcasm filter turned on

Have to say that some of the teeth-gnashing on this forum after a defeat is OTT in my opinion. Havant are 2nd in the league for a reason - the table doesn't lie with 10 games to go. Their front 2, the 9 and 10, have scored a hatful of goals this season and they fully deserved the win yesterday. Their finishing was superb. They were better than us all over the pitch for most of the match, except for the last 15 minutes of the first half. Fact is they have a title to play for - and we're not going to make the playoffs. And I think the match reflected that. It's not that we didn't want the win - we did. But we didn't NEED the win. At this level, that makes a difference.

I don't get to too many games but monitor our progress with interest. For me, our target each season has to be push for the play-offs, a cup run or two would be great, and DON'T GET RELEGATED. So I don't buy into the doom and gloom merchants if we don't finish in the top 5. For me this season has been OK. Personally I don't think we're ready for Conference South. Not yet, anyway. Financially it would be a big step up. Can we, as owners of our club, increase our contributions by the 50% I guess we would need? Far more important that our club remains stable and secure, and continues to provide a service to the community - which we do excellently.

It's easy to post Brad this and Brad that but the reality in this league is that, typically, the playing budget is commensurate with the finishing position. I think our playing budget is top 10 and guess where we'll finish?!

I hope Brad experiments through the last games. We need to persevere with the likes of Dernell Wynter and give the guy promoted from the under 18s some playing time. How will they become the next Corey Whiteley if they're not playing? I think we're light a right wing back and we probably need another centre back. Kirby is still a fantastic player but he's at the tail end of his career, not the start. I think our midfield is solid but we haven't clicked up front. Plenty of others have posted about the positives and negatives when we play Harry up front so no need for my thoughts. That's what Brad is paid to do and I trust his judgement.

And spare me the posts expressing shock and horror when players move on. That is a reality at this level and won't change. Even if we find a pearl, another Corey, and offer him a contract, we can't offer a contract for longer than 1 season. We'd be foolish to. What if the guy is a 1 month wonder? And then we have to keep paying him not to play for the rest of the season? If he's good and merits playing at a higher level, we make the most of the time we have him, let him see out his contract and wish him well. There's no better advertisement for our club than giving players a chance, improving them and seeing them progress. Yes, it would be nice to be rewarded financially for doing so but unfortunately that won't be through a transfer fee. This is something the FA needs to look at, so clubs like ours are fairly recompensed for that development.

So for me, all is far from lost. I'm just enjoying watching a game from our own ground and am proud to part own my club.

Benjryder10. Now there's someone who can take a good throw on. Your post makes good sense, but increasing contributions from supporters is not going to happen. Mind you, it's great that some do and the club must be thankful for the income stream. People just don't have the spare change lying around.

What I can't understand about the games over the last few weeks is just what has happened since we hammered W and F on their own turf?

Edited by andyetfc

I remember reading the Havant forum after we beat them with one poster calling for the managers head even though they were second because " they shouldn't be Losing to smaller clubs " and I thought YES this is the attitude of a winner someone who settles for nothing less than the best then I read posts on here of how we should be happy in tenth and how we are not ready to progress and how we are should not expect any higher than our budget.... im afraid if your happy with mediocrity that's what you will end up with

I think that the summer will see Brad move on to another club, possibly 'ricay, as I think that he's taken us as far as he can. His insistence on playing a 3-5-2 has caught up with him. All 4 goals yesterday mirrored the two that 'Ricay scored on Tues night. All counter attacks, played down the channels whilst our wingbacks are in an advanced position plus some pretty ruthless finishing. We are far too predictable and easy to beat.  

Good post Theo and I agree we should not settle for mediocrity.

However money talks. The best player we have had in recent years was Corey however we could not afford him and he went to better pastures. It is rumoured that Billericay have a 9k weekly budget. For that they can afford some full time professionals. H&W have a popular bar on a dry estate to sustain them. Bognor again charge higher for entrance fees.

Our assets are our club organisation and the merit that the players and management know that they are playing for us and not some wealthy benefactor. I like to think that gives  them the edge in pride and purpose but not, unfortunately skill. Yesterday we played a team who are on the fringes of promotion. They have got there because of football ability. We beat them at their place so they had a score to settle. We knew we were in for a tough game and at half time we were in with a shout. After half time their manager set the team up differently. First half they seemed to be playing 5 at the back with number 11 playing deep. Second half he seemed to have more freedom and we were outrun in the middle of the park and, worse, we rarely got to the bye line. with crosses on the park side coming from around 5 yards from the 18 yard area and the goalkeeper lapping them up or twiddling about in the same area and eventually giving the ball away. At 3-1 heads went down and there was nothing from the skipper or management to pick the side up. 

I don't think I can add a jot to "Thoeos" observations since I have been saying

virtually the same thing for the past couple of years. To me it

sums up the mind-set of the club at this point in time.

Over a year ago I said it was great to have agreed a 99 lease for the ground. I also stated the next step was to ensure that we had a club/team that safe guarded the acquisition of such long lease.

At the time I was lectured on business economics, by certain

subscribers. Before receiving more of the same, let me remind them of the founder of Ford's simple principle which was " that to

protect your assets you need a good product preferably enjoyed by all".

From what I read it is becoming more apparent that many subscribers are unsure as to what vision/plan the club has to where we want to be in the next few years.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I personally felt that a factor in our recent poor run has been the suspensions of Scott Shulton. He came to the Club when we were 13th and up to his first of recent suspensions we were 6th and in the running for the play offs. A quick look at the last 20 games shows we have lost 8 drawn 6 and won 6. With Scott playing the stats are won 5 drawn 4 lost 3. Without him we have won 1 drawn 2 and lost 5.

It will be interesting to see how things go when he returns to the side. For me he provides some extra midfield grit and guile. If only he could stop arguing with referees! Interesting to hear what others think.