Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Todays game at Cove

duncs

Went along to the match against Cobham and wittnessed one of the worst things i have ever seen in my 40 odd years involved with football,the game itself was ok the usual things that none of us are surprised to see,from the start of the 2nd half i could see the ref was coming under increasing pressure from both teams and i decided to stick up for him and asked everyone to get off his back and leave him alone,one of the cove lads got a red card for a tackle that was yellow at worst,so this increased the level of dislike towards him i again jumped to his defence and told the lad to leave the field, nothing too unusual yet but what happened next was disgraceful.Cove bring on one of their youth team players who is obviously eager to impress and makes 1 or 2 rash challenges and rightfully so the ref speaks to him,the lad turns away in tears because the ref told him basically thats why you are sub cos you are not good enough to start,coves captain on hearing this pushes the ref and he gets a red card which i can understand as well,the youngster came over to me and told me what the ref said to him and he was in tears,its not for a ref to say these sort of things especially to youngsters i hope someone can do something about this before he gets a player into real trouble,in my opinion he was goading the lads into a reaction and that is not what refs should do.Cobham won 3 1 and played very well, sorry you to had to witness such an awful incident and good luck to everyone at your club.

Went along to the match against Cobham and wittnessed one of the worst things i have ever seen in my 40 odd years involved with football,the game itself was ok the usual things that none of us are surprised to see,from the start of the 2nd half i could see the ref was coming under increasing pressure from both teams and i decided to stick up for him and asked everyone to get off his back and leave him alone,one of the cove lads got a red card for a tackle that was yellow at worst,so this increased the level of dislike towards him i again jumped to his defence and told the lad to leave the field, nothing too unusual yet but what happened next was disgraceful.Cove bring on one of their youth team players who is obviously eager to impress and makes 1 or 2 rash challenges and rightfully so the ref speaks to him,the lad turns away in tears because the ref told him basically thats why you are sub cos you are not good enough to start,coves captain on hearing this pushes the ref and he gets a red card which i can understand as well,the youngster came over to me and told me what the ref said to him and he was in tears,its not for a ref to say these sort of things especially to youngsters i hope someone can do something about this before he gets a player into real trouble,in my opinion he was goading the lads into a reaction and that is not what refs should do.Cobham won 3 1 and played very well, sorry you to had to witness such an awful incident and good luck to everyone at your club.

Unfortunately Duncs, a lot of referees don't seem to accept that the 'Respect' campaign has to go both ways. Could have ended very badly. I would certainly be seeking words with the ref if he made such comments to my son.

Krooner - excuse my ignorance but how does the role of a CWO extend to participants in adult / open-age football?

I believe the player was a Cove Youth Player as per Duncs initial post.

Doesn't matter if it is Adult football or Youth football if the player is classed as a Youth player.

Do you know what after what i've heard i think i may just give up on this league, it seems this ref is well known for his antics but no one has done anything about him,i'm telling all of you if he carries on goading players and management then someone is gonna end up in trouble, its the last thing any of us should attempt. 

Duncs, this ref's antics being well-known is one thing (I can guess someone whom it might be if he's still officiating) but if those antics are not reported to the appropriate authorities then they will potentially continue (as they clearly seem to have done).

Those authorities will only act on formal reports and evidence and not hearsay so, as the onus lies with refs to report for clubs for misconduct, the onus equally lies with clubs to do likewise in the case of alleged misconduct by referees.

Very true mate,it has been reported by cove and the fa are advising us but if this league keep giving games to a ref who has no respect then how can we get justice,they already know his reputation is my point.

My initial comment is that the referee shown in the April appointments bulletin was not the referee actually appointed.

Thank god for that because the original referee has never been a problem at our club.

As for the chap who did officiate. well I will wait to hear any available report before commenting!

I would assume the League operates on the widely accepted principle of innocent until proven guilty. You can't just suspend a ref based on what until now can only be described as hearsay.  We should wait to see what evidence is provided from all sides before jumping to conclusions.

Paul Duncan (Duncs) - as the former Manager of Cove FC - presumably you have already submitted your own formal statement outlining your version of events?

I would assume the League operates on the widely accepted principle of innocent until proven guilty. You can't just suspend a ref based on what until now can only be described as hearsay.  We should wait to see what evidence is provided from all sides before jumping to conclusions.

Paul Duncan (Duncs) - as the former Manager of Cove FC - presumably you have already submitted your own formal statement outlining your version of events?

Version ?

It would be interesting to hear a non biased view on the incident with no connections with the club involved.

Knowing players at all ages at this level. One can envisage the below situation took place.

Youth player comes on. Dives in harshly looking to impress. Ref pulls player on this and is met with the usual ' fk off ref'etc etc. Ref then gives a bit back.

Now not condoning the ref even if this was the case. But being honest if a player regardless of age is crying because someone said " that's why you are on the bench" i'd find it very difficult to believe and I can see there certainly being another side to this.

Refereeing styles vary and the manner in which referees interact with players varies particularly if the latter are being 'noisy' or chippy towards them.

I have to admit that if, in open-age football (i don't do youth football), a player gives me a 'barrel' he will, at a minimum, get equal back. An example of this in a Contrib League game was being called (correctly) 'baldie' by a player to which I replied that 'at least I wasn't fat (relative to me) and ginger (factually correct)!' He did not like that at all but we understood each other subsequently. For me it is the manner of the opener that dictates the response, i.e. witty, aggressive, 'bants' style, etc.

Certainly, on that basis, further up the levels many officials are more robust in their verbal interactions with players! At Conference National level some of the chat used by officials and heard on our headsets is industrial to say the least!

To the cry from players that an official 'can't talk to me like that', if you give it out, don't be surprised if, in some instances, you get it back!

In the instance described i'm not condoning the alleged behaviour but until all the evidence (versions of events) is available it would be remiss to judge conclusively.

Archived