Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Middlesex Charity Cup Final... Ash Trees 2 Stones 1

CUP WINNERS!!!     :happybouncer:

I said before the game it was fate - we'd beaten Hanwell Town at Northwood to win the Cup the first time, then we beat Northwood at Wealdstone for the second Cup, so beating Wealdstone at Hanwell completed the trilogy. 

A correct but brave decision by the ref to give us a penalty after just 30 seconds for a foul on Dan, and Fish stroked the penalty home like an old master after 75 seconds. We had plenty of territory in the Stones half and a good few shots, but Wealdstone made us sweat on a number of occasions, so the second goal was vital, and it came in the 31st when (I think) Bayley played a lovely defence splitting through ball which Fleminho hammered home with all his weight behind it from the edge of the box. Stones hit the bar with a free kick in the 45th, which was a taster for the rest of the match, despite the fact we deserved the half time lead.

Stones were very much on the front foot after the break, and Ashford legend Ricky Wellard scored unmarked in the 54th for 2-1. Fair play to the lad who didn't appear to celebrate much. After that, it was attritional for the remaining 45 minutes including stoppage time, but our defence held firm and had to, with so many clearances in around the six yard box, Tyler making at least three superb goal-stopping saves and Ginger Bobby Moore making an incredible goalline clearance. We started believing in ourselves in the last fifteen minutes and Bitz could have made it safe (or safer), but no matter. The lads did it, and they were superb. So proud. Well done everyone! 

Beano would have loved the programme's quality control - Ashford's year of formation shown as 1964, EvoStik spelt with an added 'c', and Ashford's team photo from two seasons ago! I wonder what happened to Tom Hill?

On a different tack, absolutely delighted that to$$er Claridge's team lost their playoff final! What with my other team winning promotion yesterday, I'm rather happy at the mo! 

What a great end to the season. Beating Wealdstone, a Conference South team is no mean feat. Well done to Dan Fleming( or is is Dan Fitch?) for  his man of the match award and well done to Ben, Mark and the team for an excellent season.

Archived