Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2017-18 Step 7 - Sin Bin Experiment

I am on the fence on this one.... Yes it'll be difficult to implement but we are trying to bring families and kids into the game and I take my boy to football now aged 9...Unfortunately you will never eradicate swearing from the game totally but anything to help may improve people's match day experience...

How many games have we heard "F**k off ref" etc etc etc that a ten minute sin bin may help..... if that player keeps shouting from the designated area give them a red!!!!!

I was playing in the Herts County League at the time, where it wasn't being trialled. The referee moved it forward 10 yards at which point I said you can't do that at this level and was promptly booked. It was in the days you got a copy of the report needless to say the report was complete fabrication.

? I'm sure that's exactly how the conversation went. You forgot to mention when you said please and thank you.

Hopefully this stupid idea won't be imposed on the Development League also. It's difficult enough providing Linesmen and policing who is under 25 without complicating it further.

What has a sin-bin trial got to do with policing under 25's? The first is managed by the referee(s) - the second is not!!

What has a sin-bin trial got to do with policing under 25's? The first is managed by the referee(s) - the second is not!!

Would have thought the sin bin experiment would work better with official linesmen helping out, as opposed to "homer" or substitutes. 

I think it should be given a chance. The problem with Step 7 is that if there are no Assistant Referees the who will mange the 10 mins in the sin bin. Where will the player go for the sin bin. I would use it for 2 cautions too, to save ruining a game. It is a trial so we should go with it and see how it works out. 

• 4 weeks later...

5.2. The committee had discussed fully the proposal by The Football Association to experiment with a temporary dismissal process (better known as Sin Bins) in a selected number of Step 7 Leagues and Grass Roots football next season. They had viewed this as a step in the right direction regarding respect and dissent but felt the administration of the system would present huge problems at lower levels of the game where there was no fourth official or even assistant referees. These difficulties might prove to be counter-productive. The Board endorsed the committee’s recommendation not to embrace the experiment at this stage but keep a watching brief on how it worked out in other leagues across the country.

5.2. The committee had discussed fully the proposal by The Football Association to experiment with a temporary dismissal process (better known as Sin Bins) in a selected number of Step 7 Leagues and Grass Roots football next season. They had viewed this as a step in the right direction regarding respect and dissent but felt the administration of the system would present huge problems at lower levels of the game where there was no fourth official or even assistant referees. These difficulties might prove to be counter-productive. The Board endorsed the committee’s recommendation not to embrace the experiment at this stage but keep a watching brief on how it worked out in other leagues across the country.

So players will carry on 'abusing' referees with limited sanctions available to the referee.

Can I ask whether the SSMFL referees (especially those who officiate in Division Two and the Development Division) were asked whether they believed the "...administration would be too great..."?

So players will carry on 'abusing' referees with limited sanctions available to the referee.

Can I ask whether the SSMFL referees (especially those who officiate in Division Two and the Development Division) were asked whether they believed the "...administration would be too great..."?

They would still "abuse" the referees with the Sin Bin.  Come back on 10 mins later and continue.....  Send them off period is the best.

I believe the Laws of the game still state that a player be sent from the field of play for anything that the referee deems to be offensive, insulting or abusive to him/her. I would hardly call that a limited sanction

Refs need to man up and deal with verbal abuse properly. You abuse a ref, you get sent off. Very very simple. No sin bin nonsense required. I know we need to protect our officials so they are not lost but Jesus Christ, the sooner some of them grow a pair and actually apply the laws, the better.

My concern is the 'excuse' for not adopting this experiment is that referees will not be able to cope with the 'administration', without, apparently, asking the referees involved.

As for 'growing a pair' I agree that serious abuse should end in a sending-off, and in the main, it does. However, for players showing dissent, it would be better for players to miss ten minutes of the game (and their team-mates would not want it to happen) rather than be yellow carded and fined £10.....

I disagree. Hit them in the pocket. Lord knows, SSMFL clubs are paying embarrassing amounts of money to some of these players, most of which are very average when you consider the standard isn't anywhere near what it was 15 years ago. They can afford it!!

I disagree. Hit them in the pocket. Lord knows, SSMFL clubs are paying embarrassing amounts of money to some of these players, most of which are very average when you consider the standard isn't anywhere near what it was 15 years ago. They can afford it!!

Bit like Hoddesdon Town

The standard of referees in this league is awful. Whilst the discent is not good, it's a two way thing. Better refs less discent. There's no way the referees in this league could manage this system and most would use it as an easy way out and course more problems.

The standard of referees in this league is awful. Whilst the discent is not good, it's a two way thing. Better refs less discent. There's no way the referees in this league could manage this system and most would use it as an easy way out and course more problems.

Whereas the standard of other people involved in the league (and their spelling) is just spectacular ......

The consensus amongst the officials I've spoken to is (albeit not unanimously) that overseeing the sin bin system as a lone referee would be unworkable and counter productive.  As others on here have said, far simpler for more referees to simply 'grow a pair'!