Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

I really can't get my head around London Colney not taking promotion. Surely as the SML season was drawing to a close, they would have had discussions and plans about going to step 4. Being put in the Ryman is no excuse. They probably would have whinged if put in the Southern saying they wanted Ryman. No ambition whats so ever.

I really can't get my head around London Colney not taking promotion. Surely as the SML season was drawing to a close, they would have had discussions and plans about going to step 4. Being put in the Ryman is no excuse. They probably would have whinged if put in the Southern saying they wanted Ryman. No ambition whats so ever.

Does anybody know why four of their Committee have resigned?

Does anybody know why four of their Committee have resigned?

The general consensus is that the committee never wanted them to get promoted in the first place, this is why in previous seasons they were flying until feb/ march time then once the clubs ground grading was rejected - because the committee didn't want to put the money in to do the necessary work,  players didn't see the point. Same story for last year but because the club were 10 + points clear in the league, they had to secure the ground grading so the players would remain focused to win the title. 

The four were happy to take the plaudits for winning the title etc but didn't want everything that comes with it. For example, the extra travelling expenses and bigger playing budget. Just shows a complete lack of ambition and portrays how a club shouldn't be run. 

The whole situation is a real shame and far from ideal, but I don't think you can be too harsh and criticise their ambition when you consider that the people running the club are all volunteers, giving up their time, energy and probably money just to try and keep the club going.  Based on some of the stories that you hear, they had quite a modest budget compared to other teams in the league last season, they probably didn't expect to win it this season after losing almost everybody last summer.  

I don't think you can be too strong on people when they are doing it voluntary, some of them are probably retired and don't need the stress, and others may have work/family commitments.    

It's just a real shame when a club folds completely, if they are struggling I would rather see them drop into SSML Division 2, try and get some younger people to come on board (even play last season's reserves in Div 2), and then build from there.  All clubs have ups and downs, just a shame to fold it completely, as the club has such a good, long history.

• 1 month later...