Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ted Harris

Urchins

I really enjoyed Elliot's testimonial match on Friday and it was great to see so many ex players.

There was a tinge of sadness for me when I heard about the passing away of a friend of mine, Ted Harris, the previous weekend. Ted was secretary of this club for many years. I'm not sure exactly how long for, but certainly from sometime in the 1970's until a couple of years before the Bryco takeover about 15 years ago or so. He put his heart and soul into this club and worked tirelessly, along with the Chairman at the time Jim Bradshaw, to keep us afloat through the many major and minor challenges which often beset small clubs. Being a Secretary of a football club is an incredibly tough job, and when I took over from him I could never really fill his shoes. His two sons, Chris and Tim - affectionately known as the 'hasbeens' - played for the club and are often seen at the club in and around the bar area :-).

Ted had many great stories to tell and on his occasional visits to the club we tried to encourage him to come back and have some kind of hospitality role for visiting officials in the boardroom or in the bar, but he claimed he wouldn't be remembered or welcomed. This was clearly nonsense, but I suspect he was afraid that it would consume his life again and take him away from enjoying time with his wife, sons, their wives, and his grandchildren. Personally, I don't blame him. He was a really nice man and you would have loved him.

RIP Ted.

I can categorically say one thing he loved Hornchurch to the end but just couldn't bring himself to get back down there one last time which is a bit sad. He had a great life and putting up with me and Tim for over 54 years was a feat in itself.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hasbeens

Archived