Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Tring Athletic - new Chairman

The Club is delighted to announce that Howard Wells OBE has been appointed as Chairman of Tring Athletic Football Club, with effect from September 2017. Wells has held six Chief Executive positions in sport throughout his career, two of which were in Hong Kong where he spent fifteen years. He has worked in three CEO roles in professional football, at Watford and Ipswich Town FC, when both achieved Premier League status. He spent four years as CEO of the Irish FA up to 2008 and has worked as a Match Commissioner for FIFA during two World Cup tournaments. In Hong Kong he worked for TVB as a pundit during four World Cups from 1982 to 1994.

He was the first CEO of UK Sport and was instrumental in encouraging government to switch lottery funding from facility projects to athletes. He has Chaired the Sport and Recreation Alliance, several business projects and is currently Chairing Adastra Sport Management and Futsal Focus. He is a Visiting Lecturer at Bucks New University and has Chaired the University's Business Advisory Group. He was awarded the OBE for Services to Sport.

Asked to comment, Wells said "My football career started at Tring Athletic when I was fourteen and I thought it important to put something back into the local game, at a time when the Club is moving forward with clear ambitions".

Archived