Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

12 Months on...Are the Fleet improving ?

CeeJay

I would be interested in your views on this question.

On the whole, I think we are in a stronger position in just about every important area: Finance, players and discipline.

Some idle curiosity the other day had me reaching for an old program to compare the current Fleet squad with that of a year ago.

Two things in particular struck me from the Margate program of 21st January: Firstly, we’ve taken exactly the same number of points from the same number of games and secondly, and more tellingly, of the 29 players listed on the back page, only 8 are still involved with the club! (Other points of interest from this exercise - all of the 3 bottom clubs this season have less points at this stage than Kettering had at the same point last year and Southport were 9th !!)

My own view on this is that Andy has done a truly magnificent job in constructing virtually a completely new team out of the summer exodus and the financial constraints placed on him. In particular, Chris Moore and Andy Drury look like very sound investments. Also, IMO, the team now is technically superior to that of last year. On the whole, I also think the loan signings have been good: Lee Protheroe has real quality and, I think, would be a good permanent signing, if we can get him. Ben Walshe, although not quite so good recently, has played very well for us on the whole and, again, has quality. Paul Gibbs has generally looked like another good player (forget the Cup tie – straight red was a bit harsh and all the vitriol afterwards was ridiculous) I haven’t formed an opinion on Oli as I, personally, haven’t seen enough of him.

Financially, with the Gladwish money and the Cup run, we are clearly on a steadier footing.

On the question of discipline, I haven’t got any info on where we stood at this stage last year, but this season we don’t appear to stand out from the rest as a team with a major problem. In fact, in recent games our discipline has been very good (long may that improvement continue!)

So, what about going forward from here?

Should Andy go all out now to get the one or two players that could make all the difference to the club, even if that does mean using more of the money than waiting until the end of the season and trying to get better value for money at that point?

Do we, as fans, have to expect the club to improve in leaps and bounds, or are we prepared to accept that a gradual improvement over a long period is likely to be more achievable and sustainable?

I would also be interested to know from someone at the club, what average attendance is believed to be required in order for us to go full time?

Apologies if some of these issues have been covered in other threads.

CeeJay

On the points front someone has very kindly sent me a spreadsheet which shows the match by match comparison between this season and last.

I will have a look and see if I can add it to the stats page on the website.

The thing to note is that after 26 matches we have exactly the same number of points as last year, only last year we lost the next three, so hopefully by match 29 will we be ahead of ourselves.

We have 5 matches left against teams below us in the league, and 15 points will give us 42 points which should be enough to keep us up this year, particularly as the number of clubs to be relegated this season is by no means certain and will probably be decided off the field of play.

Well made points and interesting to see how you feel we have improved I feel that defence is stronger than last year but midfield is slightly weaker ( with Bently and Jackson gone) and up front we are still struggling as last season where although personnel have changed quality has not really improved. Despite his recent improvement Abbey is not really good enough and Haworth although 120% committeed and a battler is probably not good enough. I think the team is good enough to stay up but we really need to get a goalscorer on board ( I appreciate that is easier said than done) to help us turn a few of the draws into wins that some of our performances have deserved this season. Forest greem at home and Barnet away being the prime examples of this

It'll be better if Fordy looked for people during the new year period then at end of season that way we will have soom fresh input from new players proving themseleves at the club mid way through the season when we need the points most.

I agree totally with James in that a proven goal scorer is needed, someone who has shown their worth, although this probably will be a difficult job to do. Personally i also feel that we need to find a consistent creative midfielder to help create the opportunities that could make a difference between no points or three points. Defence is all but perfect at the moment with Chris Moore on form.

I agree. We lack that cutting edge, this may be because, (with all due respect) Walshey and Drury's deliveries are not as great as Jacko's or Bentley's. The Dagenham duo were more experienced, more intelligent, and had a great partnership. Drury and Moore, plus Wilko, have been exceptional this season, keep it up!

A ha ha HA HA.........

Wondered when it might be Ben Abbey's fault...again....as is the blocked toilet and the hole in the roof and the brambles growing through the bog window near the burger bar...and Ken Livingstone's re admittance to the Labour Party...and Beagle's failure to send a signal back........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz !!!

Happy days are here again !!!

smash.gif

Isn't Haworth a proper striker?! Pinnock i suppose you could say could be a midfielder as you could with Evans..

Anyway,i'll stop nitpicking now becuase i agree with your point Dave,i thought Abbey was useless at the start of the season,but thankfully he's proved me wrong with some good goals and solid perfomances,keep up the good work ben!

I think signing Lee Protheroe could be one answer to our creativity problems in midfield. Play him as a defensive midfielder in front of the back 4 - strong in the tackle, prefers a short accurate pass to a colleague, except when he his putting in pinpoint accurate crosses.

Defensively, probably about the same, still subject to lapses, up front, definately still need a striker.

Last season :-

26 Games played - 26 points.

This season :-

26 games played, 27 points.

Comparing the same games from last season to those from this season, we get :-

This season -

26 games, 27 points

Last season :-

26 games, 26 points.

This comparison assumes the following :-

Exeter and Shrewsbury home games replace Yeovil & Doncaster Home games

Aldershot Home replaces Kettering Home

Accrington Home replaces Southport Home

Tamworth Away replaces Nuneaton Away

So, an almost identical situation in each basis.

Last year we lost our next 2 games in a straight game by game basis, but in the direct comparison, we beat both Halifax and Stevenage last year.

Its also interesting that, last year, we still had 4 games to come against other strugglers (Leigh, Kettering and Farnborough, away and Northwich at home - this year we have 3 at home (Tamworth, Farnborough and Northwich) and 1 away (Leigh (or 2 if you add FGR away)). Last year, we only took 4 points from those games - vital that we do better this year.