Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Heybridge Swifts v The Town

littlehampton

Town are in action again this Tuesday evening, when they travel to Scraley Road Stadium to face Bostik League North Division side Heybridge Swifts.

Last Saturday, while Town were winning 0-3 in the West Midlands against Highgate United, Swifts came from behind to win 1-3 at Herne Bay.

To date Heybridge have played eight pre-season friendlies, and are so far unbeaten. Last Tuesday evening they entertained a strong Billericay Town side, including a large number of their first team squad, and held them to a 3-3 draw.

Town have produced some impressive performances in their own friendlies, and will be looking to deliver another strong performance against Swifts in our penultimate pre-season fixture. Should be a good match!

COYT

Of the 4 pre season games I have been to, this was probably the most disappointing, although to be fair to Heybridge they did not look like a team at a lower level than us, and were very competitive (drew with Billericay 3-3) - in fact a couple of their players could be worth a look at signing ....

Our 3 best players for me  on the night were

Joe Wright, good saves and kicking, confident - I've been impressed with him so far

Steve Wales - some good wing play, especially first half - great outlet for the team

Darren Purse - only played 1st half, great organisation, we clearly noticed his absence in the 2nd

After the stunning game at Cheshunt, maybe my hope were a bit too high .. but Andy and Darren must be congratulated for putting together a pretty strong squad in such a short space of time, considering the injuries and holidays they have had to work round.

When you look at last night's squad and add the 3 x RBs - Blackman, Blake and Bartley, plus Mickey & Kirby, we are doing OK.

Last year's first 7 league games saw a record of W1 D2 L4 .. am confident we can do  far better than that! 

My only worry is we feel a bit light at the back, but sure Andy will deal with ...

Thanks for the feedback Raingod. Plenty of thoughtful comments on the match which, hopefully, will encourage other Towners' to add their own views on the game, and how they see the team shaping up for the season ahead.

Money doesn't always guarantee success in football, but there is plenty of it being splashed about at the moment, even at our level, as clubs look to get themselves promoted to a higher division / league. I haven't managed to see any of our pre-season fixtures to date, but I aim to put that right tomorrow, and am very much looking forward to touching base, familiarising myself with new names and faces on the pitch, and catching up with the usual suspects.

I have great admiration and respect for all the hard work being put in by Andy and Darren, in pulling a new team together for the start of the season a week on Saturday, and there is every reason to feel confident that our new squad of players will deliver a much better start to the season, than we have had for the past couple of years.

Totally agree with all the comments regarding Andy and Darren put a very good squad together at short notice.

Little concerned about our central defence though injures suspensions etc but i am very confident andy will resolve it.

Cant wait for the season to start.

Archived