Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Where has Ottaway gone ?

SeasideTowner

Braintree photo call last night did NOT include Harry apparently.

However it did include Tyler .... :cry:

Plus not sure if it has been already reported on here but Alfred Mugabo has also joined them .. 

That makes 11 of the 24 man Braintree squad ex-Towners

Braintree photo call last night did NOT include Harry apparently.

However it did include Tyler .... :cry:

Plus not sure if it has been already reported on here but Alfred Mugabo has also joined them .. 

That makes 11 of the 24 man Braintree squad ex-Towners

Towners reserves.

• 4 weeks later...

I've heard he's still at Braintree.

We really ought to stop moaning about Simon Thomas, he's scoring goals regularly and needs supporting not criticising.

He may have ballsed up a couple of chances v Harrow but who didn't? Ryan Blake and Drew were both busy but neither took their full and half chances well at all+Who else looked like scoring.?

Well done Tommo good guy, friendly, approachable and our top goalscorer, get behind him

I don't think any criticism is about missed chances PR it seems to be about being the best player you can be and many fans think that ST is not fully using his attributes... A few challenges were ducked and not jumping in and winning headers against much smaller players.... Great to see him scoring but there is a lot more in there ... Any views out there ?

I thought that he had his best game for us yesterday. I think that he needs to use his size more to his advantage and start bullying defenders and keepers more. When he started standing on top of the keeper at corners in the second half, not only did he take Ujah out of the mix but we looked a lot more threatening. I was impressed with the way that we chased the win after the disappointment of Harrow equalising.

Roll on a good draw on Monday !

That's much more positive a view.

I think Simon Thomas is a gentle giant, nonetheless difficult to deal with for opponents at the same time. He's averaging over a goal every other game which he has started and if you overheard Andy Leases post match interview you'd realise that Thomas is filling in till a main striker which fits the bill rocks up.

I think Simon Thomas is doing ok.

Harry Ottaway was understandably popular because of his effort and work rate. Town fans always appreciate a trier. However his chance conversion rate was poor. Had this been better he would undoubtedly have played at a far higher level. Unfortunately for Simon Thomas he looks lethargic, largely due to his size. Simon has however scored 4 in 6 games. Harry took 15 games last year to score just 5.

Older fans of the former EFC will recall one of our 'greats', Ray Hill, who was even taller and looked 'gangly', similar to Peter Crouch. It took our fans a while to warm to Ray Hill because of this but, as I say, he became one of our all time greats. 

Because of his age,  I doubt that Simon will  be a long term playing  fixture at Town but I  think he is doing a great job. I felt last season that Harry should be replaced for reasons  expressed above, and would not agree with those wishing he were back.

Like many other people I was a big fan of Harry Ottaway and it is a bit sad that he is no longer with our Club. But that was then and now is now. Harry left with others to go to Braintree. If he is no longer there, all he has to do, if he is seriously interested in returning to our Club, is to make contact with Andy Leese and have a chat. If he hasn't done that already, we can only assume he is not interested in that option, has committed to another club, or has hung up his boots and retired from football.

I would have loved Harry to have stayed, but in fairness we have to give credit where it is due, and at the moment Simon Thomas is working hard and scoring some important goals for the Town. Keep it up Simon! 

Archived