Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Berkhamsted friction

You could say that!  From what I have been told by board members Raiders approached the landlords behind Berkhamsted FCs backs in the summer wanting to take over the ground.

Berkhamsted FCs board quite rightly apposed this and have been given an extended lease until at least 2019.

Unfortunately for Raiders, Berkhamsted FC doubled the size of it's board in the last 12 months to 10 I think so they have picked on the club at the wrong time!  Two of them are also qualified lawyers I understand which helps their cause!

This season they also have 2 adult teams, a new youth team and new ladies team which will strengthen their position.

2019 should be interesting then.

Not sure Berkhamsteds 4 teams will frighten off Raiders 70+ team club!!

In the end, if the landlord gets a better offer it's a no brainer. Fear for Berkhamsted. Could be the end.

Why don't they just work together?

Edited by Enfield Ernie

So trying to bully an existing club off their ground is ok. Not in my book. Go and get your own ground. There has been a lot of investment by Comrades over the years.

So trying to bully an existing club off their ground is ok. Not in my book. Go and get your own ground. There has been a lot of investment by Comrades over the years.

A lot of financial mismanagement too. Isn't this a new incarnation too because of tax issues? So essentially a relatively new club? Don't get me wrong I agree with you I am firmly on Berkos side but they have quite a history.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like Berkhamsted Raiders are finding it tough at adult football again.

Will they see the season out?

They may have loads of youth teams but obviously the quality is not rising to the top at Under 18 level.

Teams from U14 need to be playing EJA football to have any chance. If not just stick to youth football and let Berko be the senior club in the town.

They'd be better off intergrating their youth into the Berko set up, create a real production line and as you say get the youth teams playing at the correct level.

That idea could not be any far apart than it is right now after Raiders tried a hostile takeover of the senior clubs ground in the summer without consent or permission.

Berkhamsted FC have actually started a youth team set up of their own from this season and in a pre season friendly last night won 9-3! Saw on twitter the players have their own names on their backs with a new kit, sponsorship deal, and full use of the senior clubs facilities so looks like they are taking the youth team very seriously.

That idea could not be any far apart than it is right now after Raiders tried a hostile takeover of the senior clubs ground in the summer without consent or permission.

Berkhamsted FC have actually started a youth team set up of their own from this season and in a pre season friendly last night won 9-3! Saw on twitter the players have their own names on their backs with a new kit, sponsorship deal, and full use of the senior clubs facilities so looks like they are taking the youth team very seriously.

Well, that's a mistake from the start.  Terrible idea

Berko need and should have really good youth teams from at least U16 upwards. Big enough club and area. Hopefully it goes well. Perhaps there could be a meeting of the minds and raiders stick to what they know with youth football and become part of the bigger club, could work well. However it seems there would be a lot of animosity to overcome.

Strange comment?

From what I see on the sidelines is a well run side by unpaid volunteers trying their best to give the community a football team they can enjoy with good facilities.

I'm an elderly gentleman who lives close and several of us go to each home game and certainly recently the team and football club have given me much enjoyment on a Saturday afternoon.

EE is right that the EJA is good for youth. Trouble is the FA cap the number of teams they can have so 90% of applicants are turned away.Berkhamsted Raiders had an under 18 side in it for 3 years but gave up because they kept losing.

I think they will see out the SSMFL season OD, as losing does not matter too much to the current Raiders players. The Old Tring Corinthians like Groves, Till, Bartlett, Wheeler-King etc. got used to losing in division 2 last season and saw it out-so why not this season wearing a different shirt? The fact they still play in their 40s says a lot about their enthusiasm and the quality of Raiders youth players.

Re-election at the AGM might be a problem if there are good teams applying and the management committee obey the rules and give a vote this time.