Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Folkestone Invicta

Well the first game is out of the way. I know I will get a lot of stick.. but  my only comments are "good crowd!!!!" pity about the football.

I know it is a totally new team and time is needed to sought the chaff from the wheat, but where was the open play so many having been talking about etc. At times I found it embarrassing by

how we played.  Where was the passing game people have mentioned. Our No 3 and 4 constantly tried to burst the ball or belt it has high as they could.

Harsh, perhaps, but then my expectations were high before I left home based on what I have heard. OK pre-season games were said to be against weaker sides. But the principal of the game plan should show against who ever you play. I saw very little of this to day. 

That said I look forward to Mickey Purcell playing soon, and hope that he with one or two of the recently signed players show us a little more constructive play.

I may be wrong but I understand our assistant manager  has a UEFA grade "A" coaching badge, and there are not many of those in the UK, especially amongst the ranks of ex-professional players. There are about 1500 in total with in the UK, which is a 5th of those in Germany' and a 12th of those in Spain. 

To achieve this, which includes a written thesis is almost the equivalent to a Masters in " Football Science". Even the "B" badge requires a thesis and can take up to three years before the final stage at St Georges.

So if my info is correct I do hope our AM soon finds time to bring his expertise to bear on the team as soon as possible,  

l

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

thought Folkestone were a hard side, kept on pulling our shirts a lot needs a bit of time to settle playing in the league with teams of our standard good start to the season pity about the sloppy defending for there goal but apart from that very promising

Surprised that the lack of cover for our right backs lasted the whole game ...at one stage it was three against one....the long balls forward has been relevant in most of the pre season games only the cheshunt game showed us playing a more compact passing game... today the width that we have had was missing and some of the passing today was quite frankly poor but it is very early days and the management team have done well to put together a competitive team so quickly....

Going back to my previous comments on Mickey Parcell I was surprised to see that

he was not even amongst the subs. Someone said he was injured but his tweet of a

few days ago gave the impression that he was ready to go.

I hope he is not being forced to go by leaving him out. The next

few games will tell.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Strange day..Has it ever happened before where every single player in the squad is making their debut for the club.?? :unsure:

We looked very average.Only our No8 impressed..Ralston also look fairly lively.Apart from that not one player seemed an improvement on last season.But its very early days i accept.

Some notes not related to the game..1. A big plus to the club for changing the goal nets and stantions.Good to see constructive criticism being acted upon..All we need now are some signs on the back of the stands stating 'No balls to be kicked against this stand' . 2. Normally the burger bar is fairly good (if a bit expensive),but yesterday i purchased the worst bacon roll i have ever eaten.Bun powdered away in my hand it was that dry and the bacon seemed to have been cooked in the distant past rather than when i ordered it.I could have re-soled my shoe with it. 3.Did anyone else buy the fanzine for sale at the turnstiles? What the heck was all that about?? :rolleyes: Not sure the club would be happy with the cartoon in the middle for starters.

Edited by lovely stuff

Good post LS and well done on your result/score prediction!

For the start of a new season this was not the greatest of games, fairly ordinary in many respects, and a draw was probably the right result against a decent Folkestone side.

After what happened in the summer, think we need to remember this Town team is not yet the end product, far from it, and is still work in progress. It may well take a few matches to get things right, but Andy and Darren inspire confidence, and will undoubtedly address areas of concern apparent in yesterdays performance.

Looking back at our early results for the past two campaigns, last season we only registered one win and two draws from our first seven league matches, that's 5 points from a possible 21, whilst in the 2015-16 season, it was even worse, one win and three draws from our opening nine league matches, 6 points from a possible 27.

Everyone will be hoping that our new management team and players can deliver improvement on those early season results.

Have to agree with LS opening remarks and observations.

But as I tend to be a little more

critical.

I think that several players playing yesterday would ,but for the list

of clubs they have been associated with, be hard pressed to get into an

Essex Senior league side. Humping a ball 60ft in the air is not going to win games let alone draw in the required crowds to pay their wages.

I would still like to hear why Mickey Purcell did not play. No mention of him having an injury was mentioned in the official match report. I hope that the manager did not leave him out as he feels that his skill and endeavour might make some of the other players feel somewhat inadequate!!!!

Finally, I see that one of our new signings has had 9 previous clubs which at only 23 must be some kind of records. I can't wait to see him.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Completely agree, Tom - I see Joe Ellul was sent off for them yesterday too.

Disappointed with yesterday's performance but a point's not the worst start. It's going to take Andy and Darren some time to put their favoured team, and style of play, together and I think we need to be patient. 11 players making a full debut is no mean feat - I see Chesham did the same yesterday, not surprisingly (though they got a 3-0 win!).

As well as Mickey only just coming back from holiday, Kirby being injured, and Ryan Blackman missing most of pre-season, Darren Purse was suspended, Mario Noto was unavailable and Matt Mitchell-King went elsewhere during the week.That said, I was surprised to see 3 of our best performers in pre-season in Steve Wales, Ryan Blake and Kreshnic Kresniqi (hope we've checked the spelling of his registration!) on the bench.

Keep the faith - COYT!

I agree with most of what is said, but don't let us become blinkered, in respect of the teams of the past who have got us where we are. THAT WAS NOT AN ENFIELD TEaM yesterday.

Many of us have seen quite a lot of non-league football and we should expect more. I accept that we have to give it 6/7 weeks and see what happens.

In the meantime I intend to keep a watchful eye as far as Mickey is concerned. I certainly want to see him involved in the next two games, before I accept that there is no ulterior motive. After all in the supporters eyes last year we would have had him in the team all the time. Are we all wrong??? After the performance by

some on Saturday I think not!!!!

Finally TS it is not wise to gloat over the Billericay result as it may come back and bite you.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Really don't think there's anything more to be read into the Mickey situation - he has been away during pre-season and nobody has a right to walk straight back in without putting in those hard yards at this time of year. Andy made him Captain earlier in pre-season and has  consistently said how pleased he is both that he stayed and with his attitude.

I think 4wembleyfinals negativity is not ideal after one match!!.

I believe mickey would have been on the bench if it wasnt for the fact our keeper split his eye open on thursday night and needed stitches. Andy decided to name a keeper on the bench just in case.

I believe first game nerves got to a few on the day but Andy and Darren will get it right.

I still believe we are stronger across the park than last season especially with the likes of Mario mickey and Ryan Bkackman to all settle back in.

COYT.

[

Finally TS it is not wise to gloat over the Billericay result as it may come back and bite you.

it may not but a mr tamplin (hope the spellings right) said they would be top from the start. I hope they loose more games coz its costing him more and more money and getting nothing back good business move that put in £30k plus a week and get nothing back don't bank with him !!!!