Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Folkestone Invicta

Have to agree with 4WF

"I agree with most of what is said, but don't let us become blinkered, in respect of the teams of the past who have got us where we are. THAT WAS NOT AN ENFIELD TEaM yesterday."

There was no method at all in midfield. Football is not played in the air it needs quick passing and ground play. That is how we scored our goal. And what was number 9 sulking about when he was subbed. We were 1-1 at home against, frankly, a poor Folkestone side and we should have been looking for a winner. The boss thought that he could strengthen the side by taking the 9 off that is not a reason to sulk but to run off with a smile on your face, shake hands with the sub and seek an explanation latter.

The right back should not wear a Town shirt again - he was awful and was beaten every time. I suggested at half time he would be subbed but didn't the manager know the player's limits before the game. His replacement offered more height and ability. The winger did not get past him all second half.

I do not understand the second substitution as Robbie Rees (?) covered more ground than anyone else in midfield and certainly put in more effort than either striker. At least he didn't sulk when subbed.

Edited by Steph1

I think 4wembleyfinals negativity is not ideal after one match!!.

I believe mickey would have been on the bench if it wasnt for the fact our keeper split his eye open on thursday night and needed stitches. Andy decided to name a keeper on the bench just in case.

I believe first game nerves got to a few on the day but Andy and Darren will get it right.

I still believe we are stronger across the park than last season especially with the likes of Mario mickey and Ryan Bkackman to all settle back in.

COYT.

So why name Richy on the bench rather than Matt Nolan ?

. THAT WAS NOT AN ENFIELD TEaM yesterday.

Yes it was ... that is our team and I hope they don't read the negative comments on here ... not quite sure what was expected but to find a squad of good Ryman league premier players and get them to gel in such a short time is a huge ask... well done all concerned....

I am sorry if you feel I am negative Vman but I just write from what I see. That is what we pay for. After all I too, like many others have a vested interest in the club. WE are also a professional club, be it run by the members, and if you were not up to your day job would you not expect to be criticised. Yes perhaps I expect to much but no more than I expected of myself in the passed. I only had 4 clubs in a 15 year career and like many who played during my time, have a natural suspicion of those with CV's as long as your arm gained in half that time.

As I have said lets give it 6/7 weeks and then see how we all feel about it. AS I said previously I was unable to see the pre-season games but had read such a lot

of hype both from the club and supporters' comments that I had my expectation raised high

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Early days but was a frustrating afternoon.   Thought we looked quite unsteady at the back and whilst it was a very workman like performance I don't think we ever got to grips with controlling the game.    Credit to Folkestone, thought they looked the more composed of the two teams and just a shame that we couldn't keep more possession.   Gabriel unfortunately offered little protection to the new RB and our defence could have been more settled on the ball as our distribution often just gave the ball away.  I trust our new management team and just hope in the news few weeks/games the team settles down well and builds on a good presason.    Hope Mickey and Kirbs will be back asap.   COYT

Thanks Steph, at least you see what I am getting at.

As for Theo you will see that some have made even stronger remarks than me. Consequently one can only assumes you haven't watch much non-league football in your time. But if you are happy with what you saw then that's your prerogative.

You ask what do I expect. That's easy when I am told how good the players are that the management have cobbled together. for which extra money is being charged to see, then I expect at least a certain standard of skill and no-how. Amongst them I expect to see a nucleus of a side from which one can build. I mean at least 6/7. Excluding the goal keeper I saw about 3/4.

I don't know if you saw any sides including Tommy Lawrence, Noel Ashford, Roger Day, Connell, Terry Howarth, Johnny Payne, Furlong, just to name a few who have worn the Enfield Shirt. There are so many more before them and since, of late Billy Crook comes to mind. If you did then I cannot understand why you think me negative when I suggested that was not what I expect from an Enfield Team. If not I suggest you ask about some of these names and perhaps you will understand my thinking. I had the privilege to play on occasion

with some of them and Saturdays side would not have lived with any team containing only any two of them.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4WF I understand where you are coming from and, believe me, I fully understand your frustration. Having made a 200 mile round journey to see last Saturdays match, I agree there is plenty of scope for improvement, and I am sure everyone, including Andy and Darren, would agree.

That said, having lost virtually all our players to Braintree in the close season, you can't realistically expect a new manager, and a new squad of players, many of whom have never played together before, to settle-in and play to the high standards we expect overnight. If you read Andy Leese's programme comments for Saturdays match, you will know that he does not under-estimate the size of the task, and will not accept second best. If you have read his comments and still have serious concerns or reservations, why not have a word with him, he is very approachable.

With regard to the old Enfield and the new supporters trust run club Enfield Town, you are comparing apples and pears. I am old enough to remember all the names you mention and, like you, have wonderful memories of the good old Southbury Road days. But that was then and now is now. You can't turn the clock back!

4wembleyfinals.... yes I have ONLY watched non league for 45 years I'm 57 now and yes I've seen a number of those players mentioned but did you really think players of that quality was going to become available all of a sudden... they had five weeks to assemble a Ryman premier side from scratch and I think they have done a fantastic job....it's no point saying this is not an Enfield side because it is ... this is our side give or take for the season.... Yes some of the play in the friendlys was good but a lot of it was average in fact I thought the the quality of the opposition was not what was required to show the strength of our team.... there is a lot of ability in that side but to hope for anything more than mid table this season is a massive ask

I wont be happy with mid -table at all :o ..We have a manager and coach with vast experience and a playing budget and average home attendances both in the top 8 in the league..7-8th place will be sold and a decent base to mount a promotion challenge next season. Top 6 will be a good achievement since we are stating from scratch again.9th place and below will be a disappointing season for me.

Great to see the last few realistic comments. Yes I was also underwhelmed by Saturday's performance but early games are often a poor indicator and there are some short memories out there from those drawing comparisons with last season's team. Yes they finished the season well, but there were some  dire performances, particularly in the first two months, including Canvey, Burgess Hill, Harrow Borough and Hanwell Town. That was with a relatively settled side going into the season. In my opinion, the team did not begin to perform until we brought in Scott Shulton, John Muleba and Harold Joseph some weeks after. 

From what I have read, both Andy and Darren have stressed that this will take time and patience is needed. If they do get it right, and I think they have a good chance, believe me it will be well worth the wait.

I remember standing behind the goal at leiston two seasons ago and listening to a conversation and it went how much longer are the board going to give brad this football is garbage and we still have trialists and its October

One thing for sure Andy wont have trialists next week let alone October!! And in October i am confident fans wont be talking about watching Garbadge football.

Cut out all this negativity and just support and be proud of our club.

I am sorry but  I can only   repeat what I have previously said, that is " I only commented on what I saw".

In addition I never commented on the team until I saw it and it was not what many of you hyped it up to be. Consequently, I had to air my views which I will stand by until  proved otherwise, I repeat in 6/7 weeks time 

Yes a new players had to be found, but that is not unusual in fact it is more the norm although the number I admit was large in this instant  But if everyone of last years players had stayed then there was no guarantee that the new manager would have kept all of them. 

By the way, Theo,  I am in my 80's but I am far from being an old F..T nor am I blinkered. I feel as a member I can have a view and still be loyal to a club I have been associated with , god forgive me for saying this, before you were born. But we all have our cross to bear.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I can see both sides here .. Yes this is our Enfield but with such a new team there will be a transitional phase.

Too early to be that critical in my view, though good to hear peoples views here when cant get to that many games.

Darren Purse has been key at the back so his return tonight will make a huge difference.

Wasn't at the game but I've liked john K in pre season so wouldn't condemn him after 1 game.

I remember Sudbury away last year, Hendon and Canvey the season before -we have had some frankly awful early season games when we didn't have a new manager as an excuse.

My expectations would be to challenge for play offs again this season.

By the way, Theo, I am in my 80's but I am far from being an old F..T nor am I blinkered.

There was nothing in my posts suggesting that even tho I'm not sure what F.. T suggests ?

If anyone on here thinks the management signings are not up to Ryman premier standard please contact Andy with their list of 17 top class players who all happen to live in close proximity to Enfield who he has missed out on.....

that we have virtually exhausted this subject so as I've said, ad-nauIt seems seam, lets see where we are in 6/7 weeks time. After all I have already freely admitted that I was commenting on the one game I have seen. I also thought I had given the reasons for my disillusionment which was due to the difference between the numerous glowing reports I had read and the reality of Saturday's game as I saw it. However, perhaps, we should now all agree to disagree for the time being and see how things pan out. " when one falls down a hole it's wise to stop digging" Ps.. Theo you must be the only one who doesn't know the expression ""OLD F<<T" that is used for people of my age. Having reread some of my earlier comments I realise what an old "emission from my anus" I am becoming. Meant in the friendliest possibly way.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals