Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Aspin wants more backing for in-form Gateshead

FF News

It has been a promising start to the season for Neil Aspin and his Gateshead side.

aspin charlie waugh

For the second summer in a row, the Heed boss has been busy in the transfer market, with a whole host of new signings added to his squad.

There have been key departures too, including former captain Liam Hogan joining Salford City and left back George Smith getting a move into the Football League with Northampton Town.

However, Gateshead have started the season in good form.

Despite two away defeats at Woking and Wrexham, Gateshead have hit form at the International Stadium.

Guiseley, Torquay United and Macclesfield Town have all been beaten on the Heed's home patch, with Aspin's men scoring seven without reply.

Despite their home success, attendances for the three fixtures have averaged just over 670, with the comprehensive 3-0 win over Macclesfield attracting a crowd of 633.

That attendance was the lowest of the twelve National League fixtures on Saturday, and was surpassed by six clubs in the National League North - including North East neighbours Darlington and Blyth Spartans - and four in the National League South.

And after the win over the Silkmen an honest Aspin spoke of his disappointment at the attendances at the International Stadium.

He said "(The wins) are just what the doctor ordered.

But the wins are not reflected in how many supporters we get which is very disappointing. All we can do is keep trying our best but it's hard to have a fortress if you've got no supporters.

That is disappointing but I won't dwell on that"

That was their third win at the Gateshead International Stadium, although it was a bitter sweet afternoon for boss Aspin, he said: "It was certainly the best result of the season as I have a lot of respect for Macclesfield, who always give us a difficult game. To beat them 3-0, I'm very pleased.

"I'm pleased with the players' work rate and attitude. I'd have taken nine points at the start of the season because we haven't been able to put out a settled team. There's always been an injury in defence."

Gateshead will hope to get their first away win of the season when they travel to Ebbsfleet United on Saturday, before hosting Aspin's former club FC Halifax Town on Bank Holiday Monday.

Article: Mark Carruthers (@marknldaily)

Image: Charlie Waugh (Gateshead FC)

Source

Archived