Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Alfreton boss looks forward to Harriers trip

FF News

Alfreton Town manager John McDermott is still smarting from last Saturday's 1-0 home defeat to Southport, but is looking forward to the trip to Kidderminster Harriers this weekend.

The Reds lacked creativity and a spark in front of goal throughout the game last Saturday. Although defensively Alfreton stood firm brilliantly; attacks lacked bite and penetration and the manager as well as most at the Impact Arena were left frustrated at the final whistle.

McDermott told the club`s press officer Amar Sharma: "I was very disappointed with the performance, it was a bit of everything to be honest. The performance, the effort and I think the scoreline flattered us really. I thought it was a good opportunity to beat Southport and they were on a good run with excellent players but I thought we had a better team to go and beat them.

"I was disappointed with us as an attacking force, I thought the back line were brilliant; they've done their jobs. They had energy and they read and anticipated things and then from the six in front, it wasn't good enough."

The Reds failed to produce a single shot on target in the game against Southport and that stat worried the boss: "I was concerned with the lack of chances we made, in training we move it, we get shots off; but in the game you scratch your head. It looked like six different players, no movement, we looked like dummies up front, we were static. We didn't have any energy, we didn't press quickly, we pressed as individuals.

"I thought Bradley Wood was excellent again, we moved him into midfield and he had the most energy. I thought the first half we were solid, they didn't trouble us but I could see that we didn't have the cutting edge up front, it was toothless.

"We were just watching at times, it was a good chance for us to get three points. Strikers stood still, midfield was too slow, we didnt get people into the play quick enough.

"It was the worst we have played, we didn't compete in midfield or attack and I feel it was criminal we didn't get anything out of the game."

With the quality in the Reds team, McDermott stressed the winning mentality and success the players have achieved before has to come to fruition on the pitch: "We've got lads in there who have won league titles and that have been in promotion fights, not relegation battles. They have got the mentality and they need to remember what got them there. There will be no easy ride, no player is comfortable, they have got to do the job. I want effort and more importantly the fans deserve effort.”

Alfreton travel to Kidderminster this Saturday and McDermott emphasised the need for the team to produce: "We will have to look at things but it's the players, the players need to have the energy and the spark. They have to come and play otherwise we will get beat. I can't play for them, I can`t move them around like chess pieces, they have to do that themselves.

"We can only do so much, we need high energy and we looked fatigued. We were far too lathergic and lacklustre. We can`t carry one player in this team and league, we had passengers and it's my job to pick them up and get them going again but sometimes you need players to pick you up.

"It's a long week for me and we will have to brush ourselves down but the players have to come to the table, we have to get them brighter, sharper and we have to work on things this week.

"It's early doors but it's three defeats which is behind where we want to be. I can only hope I pick the right team but it's about the players wanting to play, it's frustrating. We'll head to Kidderminster which is always tough, they've had a similar start to us and if we are going to do anything this season we have to go there and beat them".

Source: www.thenationalleague.org.uk

Source

Archived