Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Harlow

DerekR

From what was said on an earlier topic, it looks as though you will have the 'pleasure' of the company of the Western Division of the Sussex Towners with you for today's match.

I hope you all will be able to enjoy the match as much as I did on Saturday.

COYT

FT

ETFC 1-0 Harlow

This result moves us up another four places in the league table.

Our FA Cup opponents next Saturday came unstuck in a big way this afternoon, loosing 0-6 at Hendon.

Perhaps its just me, but I think we were a little fortunate today. It must say something that Joe Wright was given the MOM. We could/should have been 1-0 down within the first 20 seconds were it not for a smart save. Don't get me wrong, we fought for 90 mins and our defence was pretty well marshalled by Darren Purse, but Harlow will wonder how they didn't score at the right end. Stand-out performers were Mickey Parcell, Sam Youngs and the exciting Aaron Greene. Ryan Blake was also unlucky not to get on the score sheet after beating the keeper to a through ball in the dying minutes.

I'll take the 3 points, and the foundations are there, but we've a long way to go. Definite green shoots ( - if you know what I mean?!).

A average game from two average sides but at this stage of the teams development beating these sides is so important.....Agree Wright and Greene were excellent.... Still not defending as a unit it's a bit lap of the gods....

ps... our performance at Hendon on their dreadful pitch seems a bit more understandable

I guess the adjective that springs to mind to describe our performance today is gritty. Truth be told, I really didn't see much football on display, but I did see players working hard and 3 points are 3 points.

We defended well but will come up against teams stronger than Harlow as the season progresses, so really need to look at why we keep giving possession away so cheaply. We will be punished if we keep on doing it. I agree with Crowing Cockerel - the ball bounced our way today but another game, if we keep allowing the opposition so much possession, the ball is going to drop to an opposition attacker rather than one of our defenders and we'll all be looking at one another thinking "I told you so".

We had spells against Met Police where we played some good football, but today we bypassed middield far too often. Youngs hardly got a touch of the ball all game. Greene looked lively again and had the Harlow right back for toast (I think it was the poor old right back who sliced the ball into his own net). The one good move I recall in the first half was some lovely wing play from Greene on the left, good cut back from the touch line and a fine shot (I didn't see from who) that the keeper got a fingertip on to deflect onto the bar.

The highlight for me was Ryan Blake who I thought was excellent all game, running himself into the ground for many seemingly lost causes and unlucky not to get a very deserved goal near the end. He was my man of the match, though I can understand why Joe Wright was given it.

Drew Roberts didn't look comfortable playing behind the front 2 but made some good runs off the ball - shame he wasn't picked out by a decent pass. Good to see Ryan Blackman get some game time, though he looked a little off the pace. He and Noto seem to have similar playing styles and we need competition in the midfield.

Hopefully, as the team starts to settle down, we will keep the ball on the deck a bit more, play through midfield and retain possession.

I get to see one more game this time round and hope that we put in a good performance in the cup against Harrow on Saturday. We go in on the back of 2 wins and they had a bit of a setback today so let's hope we can turn the confidence that a couple of wins brings, into a good footballing performance.

Long hard season infront of us I feel. There's not much football being played, long balls, one up front, losing balls in midfield, long periods of defending. Kick it anywhere and it comes straight back. Not much better than park football. I'm convinced that AL will get it better but it looks like a lot of work needs doing. I thought we were lucky to survive the second half, although some of the refs decisions were surprising.

On a sadder note, the obscene chanting from behind the goal, by a group of youngsters spoil the day and does the club a serious disservice, can we get some stewards to challenge this behaviour.

Fitness.formation and application all improving..Still seem to be lacking creativity.Apart from Greene on the left wing..Looked like two mid table teams cancelling each other out yesterday.Hope we can continue to gradually improve game by game.A mention to Parcell and Purse who were contenders for MOM alongside Joe yesterday.

Feel we are inbetween a bit of a rock and a hard place and I know it's early days.   I know preseason counts for little but fear our playing style is both preventing us from moving forwards and also playing into the hands of our opponents.  Strange to say that after 2 good wins.....and the latter one being a very hard fought one......however it seems that our "long ball up front" is becoming all too often our get out of jail card.

Our midfield seem quite capable.......or is it too early to tell.   Mickey down the right, and Green on the left are both very good players going forwards.   However do we play it out from the back enough.   Blake had a good game on Saturday and deserved something out of it, however if our stock is just to play it up front and hope for a knock down then more often than not most teams in this league will be set up to handle this.   Maybe is early days however would much prefer us to get the ball down and get the ball out wide, or at least build up through the midfield otherwise we quite often just give possession away and then have to work very hard to win it back.

Is Simon Thomas not listed on the 1st team page anymore or was he just unavailable on Saturday?..........not Simon Thomas but the tricky No.7 who played much of pre season and against Folkestone too?  Or was he just a triallist?

Don't mean to sound critical, but we did get away with it on Saturday, however happy I am to take the 3 points.

MT Head.

I was stewarding Sat but i positioned myself at the away end trying to deal with a few moronic harlow fans who seemed to think it was ok to give Joe, vile quite personal abuse constantly using the C word.

Your points will be taken on board and normally a quite word with our fans does the trick.

I agree with the sentiment above, but really enjoyed the game.

Yes a draw would probably have been fair, but to me we battled as a team throughout the game and that showed we are shaping into a team.

HIGHLIGHTS

Joe Wright is a fantastic goalkeeper - better than Nathan in my view.

Aaron Greene was a revelation - pacy, skillful -was my MOM .. I would like to have seen him moved to the other wing to target the weak Harlow left back who came on.

Ryan Blake - best game for the club so far .. loads of running, unlucky not to score after rounding goalkeeper at the end

Marion Noto - definately adds to our midfield, was up for getting one over his former team. I believe he is available weekly from now too.

Mickey Parcell pushing forward at every opportunity, passionate and committed as always.

It's not a game I will ever think to watch again on Tifosy, the football was scrappy a lot of the time, but the togetherness and battling was important for me. Vocal support from behind the goal and the players appreciated it, plus a good crowd of over 500.

Love the new pink away shirt and looking forward to wearing!

We still have defensive issues to fix - who to pair with Darren, and we don't protect Joe enough, plus upfront we are not there yet. Drew and Simon are putting the effort in but it isn't working yet. Both have shown so far in patches what they are capable of. 

And lack of squad depth is telling .. we only made one substitution on one of the hottest days of the year. Where was Higgs ?

Unattached players available - Jordan Lockie - who was at the game - could he be persuaded to return ? Liam Hope is unattached, Harry Ottaway has disappeared? Plus I thought it was ironic that Nathan Livings was an unused sub for Harlow - he could have improved either side on the day.

Lets remember the last 3 seasons under Brad we have started poorly in terms of results and played poorly - I remember leaving Sudbury Away despondent at the start of last season. We may still be a work in progress but we have just kept 2 clean sheets and 2 victories in 3 days, and sit just outside the play offs. 

Saturday will be a real test ...

From what was said on an earlier topic, it looks as though you will have the 'pleasure' of the company of the Western Division of the Sussex Towners with you for today's match.

I hope you all will be able to enjoy the match as much as I did on Saturday.

COYT

Yep, I was there DR and it was great to chat with so many old friends, before and after the match. As for the game, we rode our luck at times, but we held on to win and secure three precious points, and I had the lucky 13th minute goal-time ticket.!

Take it both the East & West Sussex based Towners will be up for FA Cup match on Saturday.?

Yep, I was there DR and it was great to chat with so many old friends, before and after the match. As for the game, we rode our luck at times, but we held on to win and secure three precious points, and I had the lucky 13th minute goal-time ticket.!

Take it both the East & West Sussex based Towners will be up for FA Cup match on Saturday.?

JJ, regrettably I can't arrange things to be able to get up t o Enfield for the match,  so will have to rely on you to wave the flag for the Sussex Towners.

Archived