Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Flying the flag in 2004

Reading through some of the messages on here regarding who is and who isn't British, and also Fleet Fanatics idea about 2004 being the Union Jack and I found this on my travels.

I think this is a great idea, and this may persuade me that I am British.

So if this is the Union Jack he has in mind then I would have no objections.

So here's to 2004 - the year of the NEW Union Jack!!!

The New Union Jack

They can't do it anyway ! It's academic.

1. We Have'nt had a referendum.

2. They Haven't asked me.

3. The BBC taken over control of the country, YET

[color:"blue"] (Who's got the keys to the padlock ??) [color:"black"]

I think it's a great idea and there is probably more chance of it happening in the near future than many people realise, and when it does we should all embrace it because finally we will have a flag that would represent us all.

If there were a referendum then I would be very confident that the proposal would become reality. The other thread got me thinking, if as the majority of you say, I am British and so are the millions of other Asians, Africans and west Indians residing in the UK, then we should be represented in the flag and hopefully the national anthem and a referendum would finally give us a chance to voice our opinions and gain true acceptance.

I think its a bloody stupid idea, a flag is a flag, its history with pride, the same as indians are proud of their flag and africans are proud of their flag, to many do gooders trying to put the world right, this racial crap on these threads are getting boring, be proud of what you are and let others do the same, black, white, pink, yellow, who cares be proud of your own history and stop worring about what others think,and trying to inflict your opinions on to others.Lets all get on with what weve all got in common and thats the fleet, lets leave this racial thing alone.

I don't have strong feelings either way re. the idea. There's no doubt that the Union Jack has been hi-jacked, in the recent past, by extremists in Northern Ireland, to the detriment of the Unionist movement & by far right groups in England, who create the impression that you can't be patriotic without being racist.

I thought it was great during the last World Cup to see both the Union Jack & the flag of St George being reclaimed from the bigots by everybody else. It's only a symbol for racists if we let them keep it. More than one Indian restaurant in Gravesend had a Union or St George flag flying during the competition. Which reminds me, time to book my cab for a good drink followed by the nation's favourite cuisine.

EC

I'm actually quite intrigued by some of the replies on here! Firstly I didn’t expect anyone to actually agree that the British flag should be revamped or modernised and in my opinion anyone who thinks it should can only be classed as a traitor. If you’re as proud of your country, history, and culture and so on as you claim to be (and when I say claim, I’m gonna take some convincing) then how can you honestly even consider changing your flag? Talk about surrendering without a fight. Two world wars and one world cup - different type of Briton them I’m afraid. Sort yourselves out.

Just a minor historical point several posts have referred to the good old cross of Saint George, might surprise some of you but the British brought it from Spain, as a flag of convenience, hence the reason it appears in a many Spanish flags. Not that this has anything to do with football

Quote:
chris blanc (GNFC) said:
Are you blind?

Out of the 8 different people who replied to your post, only 1 person thought it was a good idea (and I think their post was meant somewhat tongue in cheek). 6 of the replies were very much against it.
You need to sort yourself out I think.

Ok only one, but quite frankly that's one too many. Go straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect £200.

I'm sorry but I'm going to be abusive here.

[***!!***] OFF!!!!!

I'm English and bloody proud to be so. My country's adopted flag is the Cross of Saint George, whether it or the saint be borrowed, stolen, bought, whatever. It is the symbol of my country, one that my Father fought for (and many of his friends and my family) died for, a symbol that my mother, who is Lithuanian, accepted without question when she moved here to marry my Dad in the late forties.

Oh, I could go on but it [****!!****] winds me up when I read the total sh*t some people come out with.