Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Good Luck Tonight v. Wingate

Benjrider10

FT

WFFC 2-1 ETFC

Looks like its going to be a long, tough season. I'm probably a little underwhelmed at the 'wonders' worked by AL's little black book.

Actually could be a shorter season as I'm already thinking of missing some of the longer away trips as I have other things I could be doing but still hopeful of the team changing that.

Not a great match .. soaking wet and poor first half.

Second half we were better and could have nicked a draw. Lots of effort in last 20, but not great to watch.

Youngs, Blake and Wright were our best players. Good to see the players clap the support at the end which was vocal and tried to be positive given the quality of the game.

Don't want to be too critical but no real cohesion, lost ball too many times or the obvious simple pass was overlooked. A shot from Rumens from distance as the last kick of the game rather than knocking it into a crowded area was a crazy decision!

Centre backs are a real issue .. Mackenzie off injured first half, Darren Purse replaced but was limping at the end (and why was Darren on the bench anyway ?) Bartley is not in the best of form at the moment. The sooner Kirby is back the better - and we need a leader on the pitch. Simon Thomas is not a natural shouter and I think it would be best if he was left to focus on his own game .. he can score, and needs a bit more confidence. Mario is vocal, and Ryan Blackman was captain at Canvey I believe?

And why was Mickey Parcell on the bench? I wasn't at Saturday's game, but I don't see how Mickey cannot be an automatic pick in the current team. I thought John K played OK at right back having been patient on the bench in recent weeks, but Mickey should walk into several positions in the team.

I have just seen that Claudio Vilcu and Tom Collins are now both at Kingstonian - both players would improve our squad .. did Jordan ever come back to training? 

Fearful of a cup upset on Saturday, but in these difficult times good to see strong support for the team.

I have not seen too many games as yet but have not been impressed at all. What is worrying is that some people will now come on here and say Andy has only had a short period of time to put a side together and it's a work in progress, so stop being negative! All I have to do is read the comments made by those who have been to the games.

The Enfield Town Supporters site on Facebook was looking for anything between two and six points from the last two away games. I don't think the person who maintains the site should do the lotter tonight.

Make no mistake, a win is vital on Saturday but it will only paper over the cracks.

The irony in your post Beardleyesque ( obviously not intended ), is that most of us had only seen an Andy Leese team play once before at Chesham in the FA cup a couple of seasons ago. I was impressed with the way that they played that day. Unfortunately, we've yet see a performance anywhere near that and I'm not hopeful that we will. I personally think that the clock is starting to tick.

St I disagree I believe that the system we are seeing is exactly that system we saw a couple of years ago. Defend in numbers with a long ball to a forward in the hope they will nick something. The trouble is that system needs fast forwards who will put themselves about. Our leader does not do that!

Feel free to shoot me down, but I think we're in need of a bit of a reality check here - we're mid table (albeit lower mid table) and still in the cup. Given that with the exception of Mickey (and Kirbs / Bobby who are injured) we've had to start completely from scratch, with a mid table budget, I think this season is going as well as can be expected. For me, the main objective is to stay in the division, ideally without a nervy last couple of months. If we finish top half, then that's a very good result given where we've started from.

Now I agree that some of the football hasn't been pretty at times, but I also accept that given the personnel we have, playing more direct might be the best way to get the most out of the players. Andy Leese is clearly a good/proven experienced manager at this level, and I trust him to get it right longer term - longer term for me is next season and beyond, not 7 games into a season where we've started from scratch. What on earth do people think we'll achieve by changing manager at this point? I think relegation would be the only likely outcome - how many managers, given our budget, could take over in the middle of a season, rebuild a competitive squad and improve our position? We've seen how difficult it's been with a full pre-season.

I'm sure Andy / Darren know as well as us that some of the players we have are stop gaps, and that when the right players become available (that don't break the bank), there will be some movements and hopefully strengthening. This is a long term project, or at least it should be, unless you've got Billericay amounts of money to throw at the squad, and you can attract all and sundry from higher leagues, you need to be patient and look to improve on a month-by-month basis.

These are just my thoughts, I don't expect everyone to agree, but I really urge everyone to get behind the team - I accept it's not great at the moment, but I also believe it will get progressively better. There will be some bumps along the way, but I for one will be sticking with it, supporting the team when I can and hoping for a steady long term improvement under a manager who by all accounts knows what he's doing, and knows what needs to be done.

I disagree somewhat Barney.One of the main reasons that Andy was chosen as our new manager was his perceived ability to put together a quality squad at short notice. (Just as Brad Quinton has done at Braintree).Andy's little black book of quality players at this level was one of the main reasons he was chosen as our new manager. Even though there were more exciting but less experienced applicants for the job.Quinton has had to do exactly the same as Andy this season.Put together quickly a completely new squad derived from ex-players from his previous club.The only difference is they those players at Braintree are all playing up a level rather than at the same level.

Also we don't have a mid-table budget.We are in the top 8 of budget and attendences in the league.Anything other than top half will be under achieving this season,even with a new squad.These players are probably being payed more than last seasons players.So should we expect poorer players and poorer standard of skill level that last season?..Saying that,i'm one for giving managers plenty of time to prove themselves,so i wouldnt want to see any change in management during the season,unless relegation became a serious threat.

I dunno, maybe it's a case of expectations - I think he has put together a decent squad at short notice, it's impossible to say whether a different managerial team would have done better or worse, but at this early point in the season, I think we're doing OK. I'd be disappointed if we were still playing (and seeing results) like the last two games come January, but that's a long way off and there's time to gel, strengthen and improve.

Regarding the budget, I really don't have any hard facts, so maybe shouldn't have suggested we have a mid table budget, and I'm definitely more than happy to be corrected.

Bottom line, Andy is the manager, and he and the team get my full support and encouragement - that's the only part I can play in this that has any influence on performances.

Archived