Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Phoenix Sports

seemgee

Not the greatest of games but we were totally in control for the 90 mins. It's good to see that we now have a solid shape and the players believe in it. Five or six nil would have been a truer reflection of the game. I'd personally like an easy tie through to the 1st round proper but I'd also take Orient away !

COYT.

I agree, ST a lesser side at home giving us a chance of a 1st round place with, Boreham Wood or Dagenham  & RedB  away, as good alternatives for a bit of extra cash.

Either way we have to learn to cut out some of the showboating shown, by some, if we want to progress further. Blake's walk into the goal effort, when only 2 up, could have back fired on him and cost us £7,500 against another side.

Very much looking forward to Monday's draw with everything crossed..

By the way is there any news about Kirbs yet?????

4WF, agree re Blake when 2 up, shocking lack of awareness. Simple pass to Simon Thomas, 3 up and tie is won before HT. But he keeps his head down and goes for glory. Hope Andy Leese gave him a massive bollicking for that. Then his 'conversion' from 5 yards out towards full time...

Last I spoke with Mark Kirby a couple of weeks ago he was looking towards end of October for a return.

Dunno where 4WF got away to BWFC + D&RFC away would be a good cash incentive.?

Any team at home in the next round would do nicely, preferably as low a ranked side as possible, although Concord or Torquay shouldn't be beyond us either.

An attractive first Round televised game would do us great, or an away game to Portsmouth, Charlton , Bradford would be well attended games too

Another solid performance, team is ever improving.

Yes, it was against lower league opposition, yes there was some wayward passing at times, but overall we were comfortable and should have had a few more goals.

I took my father in law today so watched the game in the seats on the halfway line  for a change. Good to see the game from a different perspective, though will always prefer being behind the goal! Ryan Blackman was a deserved MOM, though Mario Noto ran him close with an all action performance as well. 

No Roberts & Kyriacou I am assuming because of injury?

I was concerned when both Purse and Parcell went down injured, and a major injury to a key player at this stage could be a major problem.

I would like to see the subs made a bit earlier - to rest key players but also to allow the likes of Moore and Ward Cochrane to integrate with the team more - both to me look good enough from what I have seen.

Support was again very strong (hats off to the Phoenix fans too) and the player -fan interactions at the end get better with each game I see.

Really looking forward to Hendon on Tuesday night - this to me will be a real test of how far we have come. .. and I am feeling optimistic. Vocal support required .. is the drum to return?

And regarding 4Q - the weakest team  left at home please, then a televised 1st Round Game - with ex pro Darren Purse, Andy's cup pedigree, and the unique history of our club, surely an obvious choice for coverage!

PR, well what was wrong with that???? or are you just commenting on my bad sin-tax???

A lesser side at home offering a chance to win through to Rnd 1 or alternatively a National League side, near home, giving us at the very least if all else fails a reasonable opportunity for some extra cash. The two in teams I referred to seemed to me to be quite near.

However Maidstone just fits the bill nicely. 

Am in country at short notice so managed to get to the match on Saturday.

I thought our performance against Phoenix on Saturday was very good. The early goal settled any nerves and we took advantage of slack goalkeeping for the second. Simon Thomas does seem to have that happy knack of being in the right place at the right time.

Phoenix looked a little overawed and to be fair we hardly gave them a sniff. Impressive performance all over the park I thought. Nobody had an off day. Joe Wright in goal never looked like dropping anything and defence looked solid. Noto and Blackman in midfield both had excellent games, hoovering up nearly all the 50-50s and playing simple, sensible passes forward. Agree with Raingod's observations that passing was a little sloppy on occasion (especially to Aaron Greene - we kept passing it behind him), and that we could (and should) have scored more. But on the whole, our passing was purposeful with a clear target, and our front 3 made good runs, created space and linked up well with the midfield.

I also like the way the youngsters are being given some game time. Thought Montell Moore was exactly the type of player a tiring defence would NOT want to face for the last 10 minutes of a match (all the more reason to bring him on) and that Ward-Cochrane looked like he had goals in him too.

Well done to Andy and Darren - they asked for patience, explained that the team would be hardworking and difficult to beat and that's exactly where we are headed.

Key match tomorrow (Tuesday) night - will give us a good opportunity to measure the improvement we have made since the away defeat to Hendon.

COYT!!

Archived