Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Ben Abbey

Quote:
Stu M said:
As far as I recall, Hirsty stuck up for Abbey early on. I wasn't his greatest fan to start with but I never criticised him on this board. So when you say "you lot" can you be more specific rather than tarring us all with the same brush...?

A lot of people on this board and on the terraces wanted him out after his penalty miss, and now it's Gradley and Mcclements among others.
Gradley for me has a lot of potential, McClements
is playing well out of position. When I use the word fickle, perhaps that could also apply to Andy Ford, who one week is saying he's got the best squad of players he's ever had, and next week he's talking about getting rid them in the summer. What this does to team spirit, who knows, perhaps we'll find out Saturday. Still it worked for Brian Clough. Oh and I don't think it helps with comments from the terraces ''your crap'' directed at players on Saturday

Quote:
Hirsty said:How come the Neanderthal number 4 did not get sent off for that challenge ? ..and don't tell me it wasn't a goal scoring opportunity !

The fact is, as bad a challenge as it was, most referees will be reluctant to show a red card for such a challenge when it is on the wing.

The unfortunate thing for Ben is that he was involved in a high-profile siuation earlier in the season (i.e. the penalty miss against Accrington) which gives some people an excuse to get on his back. However, such criticism is very unfair, for Ben has a relatively good scoring record for us so far given his limited number of starts. Get well soon Ben.

PS...I agree that that penalty was crap also...I am sure Ben knows that !! Even the great man himself missed one once !! ( V Ipswich away 1991 !!)

Gerry Young was at fault for Everton's winner in the 1966 cup final...and probably gets reminded of that every day/week !! ( maybe not so much now ?) but....let's move forward a ?

Cheers,

elephant.gif elephant.gif

There is a long tradition of people not being allowed to forget. I believe Brighton had a fanzine named "And Smith must score" in memory of the tv commentator's words just before the poor bloke missed the sitter that would have won the FA Cup final for Brighton against Manchester United. 1983?

There is an element of genuine humour in that, just as there is in the way Birmingham fans give a hero's welcome to the keeper who gifted them 2 bizarre goals in the derbies against Villa last season. To the guy's credit, he always waves & laps up the applause, as if he's a genuine object of their affection.

However, there's nothing humorous, or in the least bit intelligent, about any of the comments that I've heard thrown in Ben's direction. Some guy to my right on Saturday began yelling derision as soon as Ben collected the ball, not even waiting to see what he did with it: looked a bit stupid when the words stuck in his throat as our 2nd goal went in.

Shame is, his isn't a lone voice. We have a tradition of utterly mindless criticisim being thrown at whoever is singled out as being the butt of the terraces. Time the rest of us did something, I feel. On Saturday, I just took pleasure in seeing the guy unable to celebrate with everyone else & looking a total prat. On reflection, I think maybeI should have put that into words.

EC

Quote:
Hirsty said:
Thank you Stu M......you are indeed correct....cheers....

..and Four Four Two....I hope your post wasn't directed at me ??
cos if it was...you are way off the mark !!!

Happy to discuss !

Regards,

ghost.gif ghost.gif

No mate nobody in particular. Can't remember who was slagging him off, but he had very little backing at the time. Just feel we should support players who have the odd bad game or two, and they all do from time to time.

Perhaps that's why we seem to play better away at hostile places like Hereford and Chester. At least any abuse directed at our players doesn't come from our own supporters. We all moan, but one particularly loud supporter (I say that loosely) shouting at the top of his voice "YOUR CRAP" to our players is way out of order, and totally counter productive.

I didnt hear the comments to Ben on Saturday but against Dover there was one person who shouted out "do something Abbey you bag of sh*t" I have always maintained that he is a good player. The penalty was rather naf, but still he has become so much better since. Shame he is out.

Get well soon Ben