Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Changes

I think that we've all gathered from experience watching the game that Eddie McClements cannot play in either midfield or defence. The number of times in the second half that I heard Walshie call for the ball to be played up the line to him from McClements, and he was completely ignored, and the ball played inside, where the play was lost. I can only imagine the mood between them in the dressing room after the game.

I do feel sorry for Eddie. He gives 100% every time he puts a Fleet shirt on (and bloody rightly so! They all should!) but he just can't seem to hack it at this level. He's obviously a skillful and committed player but seems too lightweight to me. When playing defence, he's been turned and/or out-run by forwards on a number of occasions and just can't seem to get to the by-line when coming forward. I can't help feeling he's one of the players on the way out.

As the founder, and as yet the only menber of the Eddie McClements fan club I honestly think the guy has got potential. Thought he had an OK game on Saturday. Not so long ago Ben Abbey was the public enemy number one, but his recent form has changed a few people's minds. I think Eddie can do the same. Now I've said that, Andy will probably release him before the end of the week !!!!!

Didnt we hear two months ago from Andy that changes were needed swiftly this was then repeated one month ago you only have to look at our performances to know we need two new forwards a midfielder who can pass AND tackle not just one or the other and cover at left back when Justin returnes from injury and becomes suspended.

I don't think we should make wholesale changes, after all we don't want to pay silly money for players to only sign 1 year contracts....As i have said in earlier posts for a part time team we are not doing too bad..........personally I would make sure we stay up this year then really go for it in the close season

I do agree with Ray. If we can survive this season and then maybe be in a better position financially at the end of the season to have a better chance of attracting one or two better players to join us for next season. Maybe I am naive but I think we do have the nucleus of a good side when they all get it together at the same time. What happens if we spend a lot of money on a player and they pick up a bad injury they could be out for the rest of the season. Barnet have been a bit unlucky with Liam in that respect. As for critisizing Shearer. If it is true that he has played with an abscess in his mouth then he deserves a medal. It isn't just the pain, but it causes a rise in temperature and therefore a general feeling of being really unwell.

One of Andy's problems is that he (nor do we) know who his best side is.

At present team selection is drawn from the following :

Wilkerson is definitely No 1

Best full backs are Lee & Protheroe

Perm 2 out of three centre backs in Moore, Duku and Shearer

Perm 4 out of 8 or 9 in midfield , Owen,McKimm,Walshe,Gradley,(Strouts),Perkins,Drury, Pinnock and Evans

Only 1 fit striker left in Haworth.

Any departures would appear to need to come the midfield, whilst we are short on Conference quality and cover in depth both at the back and up front.

We watch the news board with bated breath.

Who would be a manager!!

We shouldn't be panicked into spending really big money now, unless we know it's likely to be money well spent on players who will do a good job next season as well as this.

We do need cover at left back, now paul Gibbs seems to be a thing of the past, & if we have injuries in midfield we seem to lack bite & distribution through the middle at times. However, I think we should save the big investments to the close season. We're 16th at present & with a minimum of expense I think that's about where we'll finish.

Nil points from our next two league games & I'll change my mind, but I don't see that happening.

Graham S

I agree, Graham, about not spending money rashly, but the stark truth is that we have conceded a goal in the last couple of minutes of at least 6 games this season, which in turn has cost at least 10 points.

Clearly, although the defence looks good on paper,with a super keeper, Matt Lee, the Duke, Chris Moore, Lee Shearer, Skins and Protheroe, we still leak goals like a sieve, and more importantly, at the wrong times.

I suspect that Ade Pennock may not play much with his gammy knee, (and who can blame him), so we do need to bolster our defence so that we can hang onto 1-0 leads or not throw away 2-0 leads.

We all agree that Pinnock and Evans are better in midfield, with our best strike force being Haworth and Abbey.

Only 2 main strikers at a club is woeful.

Even Kent league sides have at least 4 to chose from.

Dennis Oli has now gone back to QPR, loans are NOT the long term answer, we NEED to get the cheque book out and sign a proven striker, if not two,even if they are currently playing at lower level. (Alan Tait at Folkstone springs to mind.

I think we're in a no-win situation regarding quality players, really. No proven stikers, defenders, whatever, will want to come to a club in the bottom quarter of the Conference, (nor a freshly relegated club) unless, of course, the money was right. Despite our cup run and new sponsorship deal ( and how long before the men in the white coats drag young Mr Gladwish away, then?!) we haven't got the dosh to pay out the relatively huge wages that, for instances, a 20 goal-per-season striker will comand. Not unless we really start to set the league alight and our attendances start to dramatically increase, which probably won't happen unless we get a few more quality players in...etc, etc.. or we go full-time with our existing squad which won't happen unless......and so it goes on.

....and I still maintain that if we went full-time, our existing squad would easily achieve an upper mid-table postion, probably the play-offs. If you train 3 or 4 times a week, you're going to be better than someone who trains once or twice a week. That's why most of the top clubs are full-time and the bottom lot aren't.

Agreed. Full-time footie with our current crowds would be financial suicide.

. . . And waiting until next season to bring in new players would see the same result as this season i.e. it takes 5-10 games for new faces to gel - inotherwords Season Over before its started in terms of league aspirations.

Far better to being in a couple of experienced players now (even if it costs the club a bit more money). Does anyone really want a repeat of the Halifax game on the last day of the season plus it will give Andy an idea of who else he needs to recruit over the Summer to challenge for a Play Off spot!