Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Royston v Town

seemgee

Oh dear, it's going to be a hard winter. If anyone can conjure up anything in our favour of the side AL put out to start the game to day then they stand a chance of winning the Booker prize for fiction. 

For my part I can only assume that everyone of the players on the bench were injured. Because the only time we looked any resemblance to a team was when three of them were used.

Our back line was slow and look grossly over weight. Please Kirbs get fit.

Royston played like a team who new what part each member had to play. This is down to good coaching. Even with our coach on the  field ours were left to their own devises.In the first half we look like a team still waiting to be introduced. I feel sorry for all those who travelled to watch, they deserve better than that.

Sorry if this upsets some of the sycophants but that's the truth as I saw it.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Oh dear oh dear. What’s going on, no energy, tactical nous, no leadership. I’ve never seen such a limp display from an ETFC team. No excuses for lack of effort, no excuses for pitch and or conditions. Royston deserved the win, they were more skillful, motivated, organised and hard working. I’m not going to waste my time watching this much longer until we some better organisation and effort. The team today were woeful. Can this be the same team that performed against Margate, Hendon, Maidstone and Riccay? It was unrecognisable.

Pathetic team selection.

Flat back four WHY just so Andy could justify his poor team selection

Last time we played a flat back four we were heavily beaten.!!does that not tell him that maybe our players are not comfortable in that system.

No attacking midfield players on the pitch

Mickey and Ryan unused subs why.!!!!

A very very bad day at the office big changes needed Tues including a new centre forward please.

Theodopolus

Totally agree with you and yes some of our recent performances will live long in my memory.

But what the hell happened today big changes needed for Tues.

Mickey Ryan and Monty should all start imo.

A need for a new centre forward is now becoming urgent,but Simon is our leading goal scorer i believe !!

A very poor and lame effort today , A waste of a rare away journey for me,  If your reading this Andy  Sorry you got it wrong today , Players on the bench that should be on the field and vital Income unnecessarily lost as a result , Feeling very low right now. Cheesed off bigtime. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Sorry Thoe, but been away again for a little surgery. Not many PC in hospital hence my quietness. So unable to see previous few matches and I'm sorry but unable to stand behind the goal.

Based on the recent glowing reports I have read I went to day with high hopes. Obviously you have never played football at any reasonable level other wise you would understand my disappointment. Suggest you read other comments with different words but same conclusion.

Will not be around for next few games so will be quite again

In the mean time I suggest you go to Spec Savers before you have another go or take a coaching course then perhaps you will understand where we are all coming from.   

I leave you with another of my observations. I have always been of the opinion we should have gone for the Conference team young assistant manager who offered his services then perhaps I wouldn't  be so grumpy. I'm an old GIT but I am not against some one young who knows how to coach football. 

Some of our team should be told about Brian Clough's observation when he said " If football was mean't to be played up in the sky, God would have made grass grow on clouds".

Having said all that I still look for an upturn in our play and fortune otherwise it's going to be a long season. 

Ermmmmm 4Wembleyfinals- you obviously don’t know yourself enough. You are very negative and as you state have ‘Old Git’ tendencies, your only previous comment was a cautious but gleeful one when 0-2 down home to Leiston. Your knife is out to stab the gaffer as soon as an excuse is given.

Yes yesterday a 10 year old could tell the world it was a poor performance, we had them with Steve, George Brad Andy and whoever takes over from Andy in the future. It happens, United we’re awfu at Huddersfield, it happens, Liverpool at Spurs, and so on.

The big cups are finished now and we can fully focus on the more important League upcoming games. Staines lost home to Margate yesterday let’s hope the keep that form for Tuesday and we leave ours in Royston. On paper a cracking game in prospect and I’ll be there supporting not slating

Yes it was a bad day at the office yesterday .. no one can deny that .. but I am still on the more positive side of thinking on where we are when you look at the last month's fixtures and how well we have fared against strong opposition. 

We looked tired yesterday, didn't adapt to the conditions, and the team line up in hindsight Andy would change I'm sure - I heard a few people comment that they would have started most/all of the subs. I agree it was a strong subs bench (and a perfect game for Ryan Blackman but Andy has to keep a squad happy and functioning, as well as protect from injury with many games played in recent weeks.

I also thought sub-wise we should have thrown caution to the wind with the subs and not replaced attackers with attackers. The subs did generate some activity though, and we had a couple of half- chances late on, plus the potential penalty in the 1st half when their keeper caught Blake. Their keeper made a meal of his touches and I think he was their weak link, but we didn't really put him under pressure.

Royston themelves were a friendly, well run club, who thoroughly deserved their victory

Players who stood out for me were Adam Martin - has slotted seamlessly into the team and battled well again yesterday. I also thought Rumens (who has had his critics) had a good game. Drew came on with a determined attitude as sub and did a lot of running.

I actually spoke with Andy for the first time yesterday when he came over and spoke to a few of the fans before kick-off .. I think he is a real genuine person, very passionate about doing a good job for us, and cares for his players. The other supporters there were also in agreement that he is doing very well for us. It is easy for us to all get frustrated and annoyed when days like yesterday happen, but we are still work in progress. 

In my view I think we need another 3-4 players to improve on what we have, but to have 7 or 8 excellent ones  already when the squad is a few months old is great, and had Jack Higgs not moved North it would only be 2-3 needed. 

In 2 separate conversations I had yesterday, there was agreement that Ottaway would fit in perfectly up front in this team - with his excellent hold up play being complemented by the pacy players around him to put the ball in the net... don't believe he has signed with anyone yet?????Give him a call Andy??

Lastly, after the tremendous vocal support of recent weeks, yesterday was like a library. I don't remember being at such a quiet Enfield match, considering we had over 50% of the crowd. And when the singing is not there, the players I am sure can hear the comments and the frustrations, and this must affect them.  

As Pocketrocket says, the league is the focus - and I STILL am confident we will be challenging for a play-off place this season.

Edited by Raingod

Some very good and realistic posts on this thread.... disappointment comes through expectation .... for all your knowledge 4WF you seem clueless of the task that faced Andy when he took over.... obviously you never managed or you would understand team building... Andy got in the best players he could very quickly and over time better ones will replace the players who might not be up to it ....agree with Raingod about Adam Martin and enjoy watching Moore.... as he said the foundations are there and will be added to over time.....

Your quite right Theo I haven't managed but have known quite a few. I do however have some knowledge of current coaching philosophy . Also, like so many others I was extremely sympathetic to the task that AL faced at the beginning of the season.

But that was 3 months ago. He has brought in several young players to the club for whom he says he has high hopes but seems highly reluctant to play them. Instead he plans to farm them out. The younger members he has played invariably suffer injuries because of the amount of work they have to do to cover the older less fit players. Sooner or later he will have to bite the bullet and give them their chance. When he brought a couple on yesterday the team was lifted.

But that is my perspective on things and perhaps I expect too much. But I would share this with you. At least 4 of the Royston team yesterday came from St Albans City and it showed.

Some how they slipped under the radar for entry in AL little black book. If you think they went to Royston for the money then you would be mistaken. Watching the way the manager has them playing may have had something to do with why they joined.

Hm. Some good comments with which I broadly agree.

The big weakness in my view is our centre forward. He cant run! When he is the only one forward, like yesterday, his job has to be to collect the ball and hold whilst other players get forward; his job is not to lay it off to other players who are not there. Ottaway was the best player we have had who could do that job. Though he was not as good a goal scorer.

I know he is our top scorer but I am aware that most if not all of those goals have been scored around the goal area if we cannot get the ball into the penalty area what use is he?

I recognise that we are not likely to coax Ottaway back and, in any event why should he come back, his best days were behind him when he left. I feel  that Andy is showing too much loyalty to a player who followed him from Chesham.

I was next to the bench yesterday and Andy got involved with the Royston critics in the crowd. Andy keep quiet and encourage your players. They look to you for leadership and inspiration and they wont get that if you become involved with a hostile crowd. I know that those players bad mouthing you and the team were idiots and so should you.

Steph 1 I suggest you look back at EX-Meadower comment on 6th June as well as those around that date

you will see that what you say about off field activity was forecast.

To Theo and Pocketsquib I did say some sycophants would be unhappy with my comments. Sorry Pocket Sq I have never carried a knife in my life. Says a lot about you though!!!!!