Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Royston v Town

seemgee

Perspective..We are not as good as the Margate/Hendon results suggest.We are also not as bad as the Royston/Brightlingsea results suggest.

Apart from Wright and Greene we are a distinctly average outfit at present .Our inconsistency and league position reflect this.

Edited by lovely stuff

An interesting debate on yesterday's performance. I would agree with some other comments that we don't have too many outstanding players currently but we do have an honest group of players who are trying for the cause along with a manager who is the same.

It's only just over 10 days since our Maidstone performances when we were all proud and positive about how the season might pan out so let's not get carried away. 2 cup exits now gives us a solid focus on the league and a run of 3 wins would naturally create a positive outlook and position with games in hand.

I'm not convinced our back line is sufficient in particular centrally and the sooner we can get Kirby back to replace Purse the better.

Why no Micky yesterday? Adam Martin is getting fitter and looking stronger each week.

We definitely need a centre forward who knows where the net is. We've had them before and we are missing one right now.

Not sure why we changed the system yesterday either?

I take on board what you say AndyE  and you are quite right about in your perception regarding the use of the forum. I for one accept your admonishment in the spirit it is given. Most people try to be constructive but no two views will ever be the same.

However, if one were to analyse the overall all position taken by most of the comments of our performance yesterday, only a fool would say the majority posted weren't critical at what we saw before us. That does not make them any less a supporter than any other member.

I firmly believe that any one who takes time to put down their thoughts on this forum have the good of the club at heart. But our observations will invariably come from different stand points. 

Finally to put on record I must tell certain subscribers that I will be silent again for a few weeks as I go into another round of treatment. But I can assure them I will follow our results hoping to hear about a string of good wins. They would be a great panacea.

You may have something there VXMan  but I can't possibly comment. ( Lest my two friends take exception). It's also against my religion to  agree to such thoughts on a Sunday, me being a devout coward!!!!!

Seriously though my concern for Mickey is that he may have an underlying injury which needs time to properly heal. 

Also may I again echo my previous request for Kirbs to hurry up and get fit.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

I think quite a few on here have summed things up pretty well - at the moment, we're consistently inconsistent. The Maidstone games really were exceptionally good performances and maybe gave some false hope that we were further forward than we actually are. The Royston game (which I think everyone will agree was pretty awful) is probably the opposite - I don't believe that we're nearly as bad as that, and recent results suggest otherwise too. That's not to say I wasn't as frustrated as anyone after 90 minutes where we barely threatened their keeper, Royston looked a decent, organised side, but if we'd played to our potential I think we would have come away with a result. I do wonder whether tiredness played a part too, we've had a lot of games of late.

We can debate all day long about team selection, we have a squad, and I trust AL to use it - it's a long season, and we need a group of players who accept that they're going to be on the bench at times, as well as in the starting 11.

Regarding bringing in youngsters and sending them out on loan to get match time - if it's good enough for the likes of City and Chelsea to do, then why shouldn't we do the same? Some of these players aren't going to be the finished article yet, but giving them competitive match time will allow them to be watched to see if they are good enough to make an impact for the first team. Strikes me as an entirely sensible way to do things.

So to summarise, at the moment, it seems we don't know which Enfield is going to turn up for any given game. I would say that the trajectory is upwards from the start of the season based on performances and results, so I don't think we're in a terrible place. With some easier looking league games to come, I hope that we find the consistency of performance to start to move us up the table. I guess some will see this post as being a bit too "glass half full", but I see no harm in being optimistic, positive and supporting/encouraging the players and management as best I can.

Bringing in young players and loaning out is a good idea, only if, like MC and Chelsea, we can control how and when they move on. We can’t afford to sign them on contract and they can move on whenever and to where they like. It will be interesting to see how many or indeed if any of theses youngsters will be good enough to be introduced into first team football. The strategy in principle is good and works only if we have a long term strategy and patience with the current management team. If so we must accept that success this year will be mid table position with a view to stabilising the club and to go forward over the next two years. I support this approach, however I might find it difficult to travel to watch the team play every game, knowing that performances like Saturdays are going to be regular. I will however continue to support the club through thick and thin.

While I've always supported Andy and understood the task he had I can't understand his position on mickey and Simon Thomas .... surely he needs the fans on side but he could well lose a lot of support over these decisions...take the armband and give it to Mickey full time.... it's one thing playing ST but another making him captain....

Thanks VM for your info on Mickey,  your reply certainly raises an issue.

Regarding Barney's well explained view I have to accept his comments are a pretty fair summation of what has been said over the last few days. 

As I initially raised the question of the use of young players I have to differ with his views on

AL's use of them. My reasons are given in MTHead's concise response. The only observation I would add to the latter's well defined comments is this; that if the management continues to act as if we are a nursery club, by signing young players and then farm them out on loan, it must lead to the assumption that AL is quite happy with the make up of his current squad. If true, it is this final conclusion which is making some of us feel uncomfortable and many would like to see more effort put into making possible improvements to the squad or at least see an introduction of some our better young players. How else can they be judged.

What ever you think of the manner of BQ's departure you cannot fault his willingness to play young players. It was these that we enjoyed watching over the past few seasons.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4 Wembleys- the fact you’re taking my example as an actual accusation just confirms you to the Stone Age , clueless and useless, very negative and anti ETFC.

I personally think Andy is doing a Super job 3 months in, personality and character is good and approachable, here’s to the next 3 months. Step by step gents and 4 Wembley

The only observation I would add to the latter's well defined comments is this; that if the management continues to act as if we are a nursery club, by signing young players and then farm them out on loan, it must lead to the assumption that AL is quite happy with the make up of his current squad.

I can't see how it's possible to make that assumption at all (or any assumptions frankly) - I don't claim to be remotely close to the management, so stand to be corrected, but for all we know, AL could be looking at any number of players with a view to strengthen the squad... or he might not be.

I struggle to see how there's any major drawback to farming out players to lower sides on dual registration - I would assume that the side they're playing for pay their wages, but the players train with Town. If they're ambitious and prove they're good enough to play at a higher level then we get them into the first team squad (I'd assume they'd want to play at the higher level all things being equal). If they turn out to be capable of playing higher than Town's level, and another club comes in for them, I don't see how that's any different to the same thing happening to any of our first team players that aren't on contract.

Edited by Barney

"Thanks for your words of wisdom FJ and I hope that you agree that my discourse with Barney

is in the spirit of your request"

I understand what you say Barney and, like you, base my opinions from the position as a supporter only.

However, we make our assumptions( opinions) all the time from what we see put in front of us. They may not always be right, hence they are assumptions. I concede that your argument gives a valid point of view but in my professional life I was taught that,( to paraphrase others ), "if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, it is reasonable to think at first that it is a duck until it is proven otherwise".

My point being is that it's seems from what I have read most incoming additions to the club have been juniors rather than players who will possibly improve the current squad. Hence the assumption that some seem to accept that the status-quo is satisfactory. As I have said that may be the wrong interpretation but I have yet to be fully convinced.

However, I hope sincerely that you are right in in your assumption ( no sarcasm intended as you have already admitted such )that AL is looking to improve. Also that in the near future the status-quo changes dramatically, and your belief become a reality, so that my current opinions may have to take a sudden change of view.

I will be of stream for a while but will look forward with interest to reading more of your thought provoking submissions.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

4 Wembleys- the fact you’re taking my example as an actual accusation just confirms you to the Stone Age , clueless and useless, very negative and anti ETFC.

I personally think Andy is doing a Super job 3 months in, personality and character is good and approachable, here’s to the next 3 months. Step by step gents and 4 Wembley

Over optimism is just as bad as being overly pessimistic.We have been poor in just as many matches as we have been good.Personally i have been disappointed overall in the quality of players that Andy brought with him.Those fans recently who said they wouldn't change any of the current squad for any of last seasons squad mainly on the strength of two games against Maidstone were far too premature in my opinion.The very good cup run in the FA cup has been one of the few plus points of Andy's tenure so far.The poor league position and early trophy exit has been the low points.

We are in the top 7-8 in the league for both average attendances and wages.To finish 7/8 in the league would be a decent but unspectacular season.I personally have been a bit disappointed with how the season (and Andy's tenure) have panned out so far.I expected a bit more with regards to performances and the quality of players brought in originally.Although Greene and Moore are welcome later editions.I expect more and i am confident Andy can deliver.But to call it a superb start is not a realistic assessment of the season so far.

However, I hope sincerely that you are right in in your assumption ( no sarcasm intended as you have already admitted such )that AL is looking to improve. Also that in the near future the status-quo changes dramatically, and your belief become a reality, so that my current opinions may have to take a sudden change of view.

Per my post above, I'm definitely not making any assumptions - I've no idea what AL is or isn't planning to do. It might be that he is happy with how the squad looks at the moment. Best way to find out would be to have a chat with him.

Thanks LS 

Thanks for another well balanced view.

As for the previous abuse direct at me I have decided to ignore it. For someone who has been 

associated with the club for over 70 Years it's amusing to be called ant-FTFC. If that were true

I must be very massacistic to have taken my children to games, after I stop playing, from when they werequite small, some 40 years ago. Even took them all the way to see us arrive with 9 men and get thrashed 9.0.