Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Hampton & Richmond

seemgee

The morning after this "Royston-esque" performance, I still find it difficult to find anything positive about last night really. The 2-1 scoreline doesn't reflect that we were never really in the game. 

MOM was Joe (as per usual) but his distribution was not up to usual standards, and I can't think of a single player who played well.

Our players seemed to slip over a lot more and didn't adapt to the conditions. Without Darren at the back, we seem less confident.

Hampton made a number of changes from their previous team, including an Academy left back making his debut - so hoped we would have put up more of a fight.

Second half we were better than the 1st, yes we tried to chase the game with attacking subs at 0-2, but overall not acceptable. I have always tried to see the positives but the winless run is starting to concern me. 

Elliott looked like he could be a good player but didn't see enough of the ball to make a true judgement.

Good thing we have another blank weekend to regroup - and we MUST get back to winning ways at Cheshunt next week. It will be far tougher with Steve Newing in charge and a number of ex Es to face us - big away crowd required to cheer the team on to a morale - boosting victory.

I would like to see us line up with a midfield trio of Blackman, Martin & Noto - to give the defence more protection, whilst they can all pass well.

And I still think Ottaway could be a solution - he walked out with the Braintree 13, but if we approached him, I think he would come back.

Roll on next week!

Apart from Wright,Purcell,Greene (Kirby when fit) i would not lose sleep over letting any of the other players in the squad go.I said previously that i was a bit disappointed by the overall quality of the players Andy brought with him and i see nothing at the moment to dissuade me from that assumption.

Its going to be a long hard season.It will get better,but can't see it happening in the sort term.

Agree Cheshunt will not prove anything, but it's perfect opportunity to get morale up ahead of more league games .. and to try out other ways of playing

Regarding current squad, trying to be positive, I feel the following could all go on to have a good season with us ..

Wright

Purse

Parcell

Mackenzie

Noto

Blackman 

Martin

Greene

Blake

Must agree with the comments above.

We are currently playing as 10 individuals and not a team imo.

I have excluded Joe because in my opinion he is amazing.

Some of his saves again last night were top draw.

I hope the manager can turn this around because at the moment it isnt very good.

I'm still not too down on on it... yes it's been seven games since a win but look at the games

Maidstone 5th NL ... DRAW

Maidstone .... 90 mins DRAW

Hampton 5th NLS

Billericay champions elect

Leiston ..... creditable DRAW

Staines 5th away last minute goal

Royston ... Awful

Realistically how many of them would we have been favourites to win.... if we fail to perform again back against teams around us I will give up on the optimism and become a 4WF

>Theo

I might have agreed with you if the team showed any sign of shape however yesterday in the second half I saw Wright throw the ball out once the rest of the time he was just kicking it upfield in hope.

The team does not distribute the ball or play for each other. We find time and again a forward gets the ball and goes on a run. He is quickly tackled or beats one man then another and either misspasses or cant beat the third man. In the time he has received the ball and gone on his run his team mates are marked out of the game so we then see a succession of back passes or an aimless pass to far post or the penalty area.

Teams we play against know their game plan and move the ball quicker if necessary into space where there team mate will pick it up. This is elementary football and should be practiced on the training ground. Pass and move, pass and move, pass and move.

Where is the link play on the flank.

I have to say though that we kept hold of the ball far better yesterday than we did against Royston or Staines and there were several times that we managed to string 5,6 or even 7 passes together.

Steph I agree with nearly all you put... the HR report suggested that because of the pressure our defenders were put under we resorted to long balls..... sometimes the quality of the opposition dictates the speed we can play at ... at the start of the season I thought a mid table finish would be ok with the hope of progress next season... I'm still ok with that but totally agree the amount of poor passes is basic stuff....

As I said last week to RGod I am away having some treatment this week. Fortunately another patient has kindly let me use his LapTop so I could see last nights result. Also to read the comments on the forum. It seems that most remarks on our play are becoming rather deja vu. But it did give my friend Theo an opportunity to have his little dig at me. However, the way I feel at the moment I wouldn't even wish on him.

However most subscribers come up with sensible remarks. It was nice to see that Steph 1 has paraphrased some of my previous observations regarding the use of the training ground to put things straight. 

Also in answer to Vxman regarding AL's type of management, I did exchanged views on this subjesct with Ex-Meadowender on June 6th. At that time I related what I had been told, which was that it seemed  AL could be very set in in ways and does not take kindly to people questioning his approach. Nor that he is adept at sharing managerial duties with another. 

Consequently, if things don't improve soon surely questions will have to be asked.

On the bright side football fortunes can soon turn around for no reason. Perhaps that is why we all like playing and watching it. Let's all hope, including dear old Theo, that it comes sooner than later. God I'm becominh philosophical all of a sudden, the pills must be kicking in!!!!!

It was very disappointing to stand in the rain watching the team last night. There didn't appear to be any plan other than hoofing the ball up to their defenders. I stood with the away supporters in the first half and witnessed our MOM keep the marauding H and R attackers at bay on more than five occasions. The talk behind the goal in the second half was around trying to remember

any occasion when their keeper had had to make a save!

Poor performance against a team who were more committed and determined to win the game.

I half expected some comments by some saying that it was a competition we didn't need to progress in so we can count on the league. Further away from the truth as during the early days, this club took part in great ties in this competition as well as the Charity Cup and supporters thought they were great.

Let's hope performances improve in all competitions.

Archived