Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Artificial Pitches

Chris Clapham

There are a lot of pluses for these pitches, But nobody ever mentions the fact that a large number of players cannot play on them due to injuries they cause.  My own son regularly plays on a grass pitch with no problems, but one game on a artificial surface and he suffers from bad knee pain.  It seems that these pitches are the future and if you are one who cannot play on them then tough luck for you.

Personally, I am not a fan of them. 

But I do see the pluses for them as some teams I have experienced with them have financially gained from them on a weekly basis.

Having refereed on many grass pitches, like Longshot says above about his son, I feel fine. But when I go on to an artificial pitch my knees and my back are in pain by the end of the match.

Normally a grass pitch will give a little when you run on it, whereas the astro pitches don't. 

Still doesn't improve my refereeing though on grass over artificial. ;)

I too have mixed feelings. I see great benefits for clubs that have installed them with increased revenue and 99.99% certainty that games will go ahead as scheduled.

Like others have mentioned though I have suffered a lot more from injuries in the last couple of years. This could be put down to old age though rather that the surface on which I am officiating

Pitches have come on leaps and bounds though and you only have to compare the likes of Sutton/Carshalton with somewhere like Whyteleafe (with due respect) to see how much they have improved

Archived