Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Town v Wingate

seemgee

Probably one of the scrappiest games of the season so far. Outstanding referee! Sorry, but I meant to say the referee stood out! I don't often like to criticise officials, but some of his decisions were baffling. Mind you, there were some he didn't give which could have caused a lot of trouble.

Disappointing to hear we conceded yet another late goal.The number of times this has happened makes one wonder whether our fitness levels are high enough to last the full 90 minutes. 

But since I am still unable to get to matches, I will be interested to hear from others their views on how the game played out.

Still wondering when we can expect Kirbs to be fit to play. It sounds as if we are crying out for a leader to push the team over the finishing line. 

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

It was awful. No wait, it was worse than awful. We were lucky to get a point. When is going to get better ? Where’s the hope and I don’t mean Liam. It’s taking some effort to keep watching week after week.

Not sure a player who couldn't get a game for cheshunt six months ago is going to improve us much..... the skill level of this side is awful... simple passes intercepted time and time again.... every time we take the lead we end up with a ten man defence with no outlet up front... thankfully the other teams around us are not much better.... with all the experience of Purse on the pitch how can the defence be so disorganised? .... As you said MTHead it's a tough watch in the wind and cold....

Just about thawed out after the traffic on the A10!

Good first half performance that we just didn’t build on AT ALL in the second half. We seemed to kick the ball long in the 2nd half and it seemed a matter of time until W&F scored. Great save from JW again from the penalty, yet again but we do seem to give a fair number away?

A.Martin had a good game in the midfield without much support I thought. Looking at the bench and subs to come on was fairly uninspiring though. Not quite sure why Liam wasn’t on the bench tonight also? Good for Benyon to get a goal but he looked tired later in the game and unsupported.

Big game on Saturday. Hopefully they rest some players with the cup in mind and we take advantage.

Agree with all the comments above. Wingate looked there for the taking at half time but we didnt even get a corner in the second half. 

Maybe the rotation system is affecting the pattern of play.  I assume Aaron was injured/absent and Sam still not fit? Both were sorely missed.Not sure where Dan Rumens was? Thought Ryan Blake would start after lively performances at Cheshunt and sub v Thurrock. We discovered last year that Mickey is a superb right sided attacking midfielder but not a defensive old fashioned right back.We had nothing down the flanks last night.

Have to say agree with most comments above. We looked tired, needed to make changes at half time. AL needs to take some risks and maybe inject some of the youngsters. They will be hopefully fitter and eager to get on the pitch. A bit of new blood mixed with experience could be all we need to get back to a winnning streak.

Not often I agree with Andy over the referee's performance. He made the mistake of not booking the Wingate player in the first minute when the Town player was through on goal and brought down just outside the box. After letting that go he could not book anybody for anything and be consistent.

He had a better second half I feel because we were woeful and not putting their defence under pressure. The tactics from the manager were  totally wrong. Town cannot defend a one goal lead for 45 minutes and our defenders need players to pass to. We cannot defend on the edge of the penalty area with a ten man defence! When the ball is cleared it just comes back again.

And 53 Seasons is right there was nothing out wide at all. Finchley had the run of the left wing (our right) throughout the second half. We need to improve Saturday after all Leatherhead put 4 past that defence on Sunday and in the first half yesterday they seemed pretty brittle.

Agree with the comments above .. both games have been pretty awful against Wingate this season - must make a note to avoid this fixture next season!

First half was "OK" - we were the better side and comfortable for the lead. The goal was absolute karma - their 6 had pulled Simon Thomas to the ground whilst jockeying ahead of a corner - ref had a word but no action (surely this is not allowed) and then the 6 made sarky gestures in response to the mouthful he got from the fans behind the goal, so it was perfect when our goal was a massive deflection off him... sorry Elliot, but in my book that was an own goal, and it was great singing "It's all your fault!"

Second half we came out like a different team, struggled to pass, get the ball away from our goal, didn't even get another corner to shout at their 6!!

Felt like we were back to the bad old days at the start of the season. The ref was terrible and so were we!

Other thoughts:

- Playing a game without either Blake or Greene starting showed the lack of creativity within the team.

- Agree with 53 seasons - team feels like it is changing too much game by game

- Substitutions came too late - no disrepect to Wingate but they are no Maidstone -yet we seemed to accept the backs to the wall defending.

- Moments after taking Simon Thomas off we had a cross into the box but no one there - Simon would have been

- I am sure Steve Wales wanted to appear against his old club, but he looked rusty after being out (I really rate Steve - was our best player at Heybridge in pre season and will be like a new player to the squad- but timing was wrong here)

- Beattie has been an unused sub 10 times this season - would have been a better choice than Wales to come on - or if AL feels he is not ready then why not have Liam on the bench - a 10am motorway signing on Saturday morning indicated to me he would definately have been in the squad! 

However, being positive:

- we have the same points after 15 games as we did last season - so play offs are attainable

- Hope, Wales and Kirby will be like 3 new signings for the team 

- Last 16 of the Velocity Cup with a draw we would have chosen ourselves !

- Best ever FA Cup run, and I stand by the fact that AL has performed miracles to get this squad together 

- At the 3rd attempt I now have a pink away shirt that fits me!

Up the Town!

Seems we all watched the same game for once!

Reasonable first half, pitiful second; no shape, no support, no targets up front. The chorus of "Thank god for that" at the final whistle said it all!

And a more gutless, inconsistent display of refereeing I have never witnessed, he was lucky not to have had some serious altercations.

LS - I think the Braintree situation is very different .. brad took pretty much our whole squad and put them in orange shirts-they even changed their away strip to blue and white!! That they are top of the league shows what a strong team he built for us. I appreciate that in his 3 years he took us from a struggling prem team to a challenging for promotion team, and wish him well.

Andy was left with one fit player, and I understand our old players were not returning his calls so he was not even sure on day 1 what he had at his disposal.

Yes I am disappointed by some of the performances but as per previous posts I think we have 7 or 8 players in the current squad who are definitely up to our standards, others still need to prove themselves or be replaced.

Brad never had a good pre season prep or start to season with us so I am willing to give Andy the benefit of the doubt and am confident he will get it right over time.

I think Brad took the same amount of ex-players to Braintree that Andy took to Town.

Andy has managed at this level for at least 5 times longer so will have a bigger pool of ex-players to contact.

At least two players from last season wanted to stay on but were not offered a place in the squad.

Agree with you about Brad not ever having a good pre-season or start to the season with Town. (Typically he has done this season at Braintree).And i am not saying that Andy hasn't got the attributes to get things right over time.I was just disagreeing with the statement that he has performed miracles so far.