Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Scoring salvation at last for Wrexham's Rutherford

FF News

Paul Rutherford was delighted to finally get "the monkey off the back" after breaking his Racecourse goalscoring duck, but insists the most important thing was the three points.

Rutherford volleyed home on 40 minutes to grab the only goal of the game as Wrexham claimed all three points at home over Solihull Moors on Tuesday, a victory that saw Dean Keates's side move to the top of the National League standings.

His first half volley ended a wait of nearly a season-and-a-half for a goal at the Racecourse, his only other two Wrexham strikes having come away at Guiseley and Barrow last season.

But Rutherford, who took the man of the match champagne for his performance on his 400th career appearance - albeit a stat the winger disputes - insists any personal glory was meaningless and that victory was all that mattered.

"The important thing was getting the three points," said the winger. "They are always tough games when the teams at the bottom come to the Racecourse, they are happy to settle for a point and it was hard at times.

"But fortunately we persisted and the ball has fallen to me, I've had no time to think, which is probably a good thing, and I've put it in the net.

"I was over the moon (to score at the Racecourse), it is something that has been mentioned and it was nagging on me a bit, but I was over the moon to get the goal at the Racecourse.

"If I am being contentious I think it is more than 400, I think they have got their stats slightly wrong, it certainly feels more than 400 anyway after some of them.

"But I was made up to get that but the big thing was getting the first goal at the Racecourse, it is something that has nagged on me and I am happy to get that monkey off the back."

Read more: http://www.dailypost.co.uk

Source

Archived