Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Barrow's Panayiotou puts club over country

FF News

Harry Panayiotou has put club before country in his bid to establish himself as a regular presence in the Barrow AFC side.

The 23-year-old has found a starting berth for himself under new boss Ady Pennock, featuring from the off in each of the Bluebirds' last five matches.

And the former Leicester City youth has revealed that he turned down the opportunity to feature for St Kitts and Nevis more than once this season in order to stay with the Bluebirds.

"There was a tournament in India and I was called up for it, but it wasn't an international break," said Panayiotou, who has 13 full international caps to his name, as well as seven goals.

"I spoke with the (St Kitts) manager and he asked if I wanted to come, but I said I would love to, but it's not an international break, and my main focus is Barrow.

"We had a game on December 12 against Grenada, but I'd already said to them I won't be coming, because it's not an international window. I need to be here – the team needs me, we all need each other right now to get better."

He added: "The next FIFA date is in March, but if I'm still playing for Barrow, I'm not going to leave. I can't do that, because it's a big season with trying to get in the play-offs, I'll just have to wait until the summer to go to St Kitts."

Read more: http://www.nwemail.co.uk

Source

Archived