Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

19th-27th December Match Thread

Chris Clapham

Tuesday 19th December

Premier Division

Walton & Hersham v AFC Hayes

Saturday 23rd December

Premier Division

Abbey Rangers v Spelthorne Sports

Balham v Guildford City

CB Hounslow United v Banstead Athletic

Chertsey Town v Sutton Common Rovers

Farnham Town v AFC Hayes

Godalming Town v North Greenford United

Hanworth Villa v Bedfont Sports

Horley Town v Epsom & Ewell

Knaphill v Camberley Town

Redhill v Westfield

Division 1

AC London v Chessington & Hook United

Badshot Lea v Cobham

Cove v Ash United

FC Deportivo Galicia v South Park Reserves

Fleet Spurs v Bagshot

Frimley Green v Eversley & California

Sheerwater v Raynes Park Vale 2pm

Staines Lammas v Bedfont & Feltham 2pm

Worcester Park v Farleigh Rovers 2pm

Wednesday 27th December

Division 1

Frimley Green v Ash United

Had the pleasure of watching Redhill V Westfield yesterday.

Not exactly a fan of the cliche but it was definitely a game of two halves. The first half showed little from Westfield and only a lack of good finishing denied Redhill the chance of being 2 or 3 nil up by the break. Redhill were far the better side, fighting for every ball, with good forward play. 

Oddly the second half saw Redhill lose their fight & desire and instead sat back and most of the second half was played in their own half of the pitch. The inevitable happened not long into the 2nd half with a defensive breakdown from the Reds and Westfield took the lead.

Westfield then won themselves a penalty, of which I'm still not sure on how or why. The taker set the ball, stepped forward with a confident stride and struck the ball cleanly and firmly towards the bottom left of the goal where Rhys Hughes, Redhill Keeper, managed to get down to with a stunning dive and save. 

It was such a great save it brought about a piece of sportsmanship I've not seen before, though I guess it must have happened before now, which was that the Westfield keeper shouted to Hughes to grab his attention and clap and congratulate him on such a brilliant save. 

Sadly though the whole penalty situation didn't spur the Reds on into any kind of revival, instead a little while later Westfield made it 2-0 which is the way it ended.

Westfield never actually looked like a team who were top of the league, although in the two times they scored they were clinical enough to make the most of two defensive failures from Redhill, and without those two mistakes it was all long balls and pot shots from 20-30 yards out from Westfield. I don't mean to put Westfield down at all, they won the game fair and square, but when you see the league table and the results they've been getting you would imagine you'd be up against it for 90 minutes and only parking the bus would give you hope of a point, but that wasn't the case. The Reds were never out of place against them and the result could have been far different if we'd have attacked the 2nd half like we did in the 1st....ah well.

Good luck to Westfield for the rest of the season, and good luck next season! I'm pretty sure they will win the league, regardless of yesterdays display. Picking up points from poor performances is what ensures great teams become champions.

Archived