Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support Fans Focus by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Enfield Town v Tooting & Mitcham

seemgee

I have to agree yet again with you Andy. However, I welcome the news that some feel that the disquiet of the supporters appears to be getting through to the manager. We have yet to see if this continues and the team adopts a more positive approach to their game. He may have some big decision to make in the next week or so regarding playing personal. Subject to injuries, how he selects his teams during that period 

will throw a light on his intentions.   

Lets hope to day was not just a flash in the pan. It will soon show when we face stiffer opposition.

Edited by 4wembleyfinals

Benjrider10: "Simon Thomas has plenty of critics but he has been scoring. He will often be compared to Ottaway, who was an excellent link man, but Thomas has the knack of being in the right place at the right time (unlike Ottaway) and scores more goals (even if the link-up play is lacking)."

Couldn't resist checking the stats regarding this  :rolleyes: Simon has started 15 league games this season and come on as sub 4 times. He's scored 7 goals. Harry, in his first 15 starts last season, scored 5 goals. During that period he also came on as sub twice. Neither of them scored coming off the bench.

So Simon does indeed have a better record than Harry (7 in 15 is a goal every 2.1 games, as opposed to 5 in 15, which was a goal every 3 games). However, if you include the substitute appearances the difference between the two players decreases slightly: Simon 7 in 19 equals a goal every 2.7 games. Harry 5 in 17 equaled a goal every 3.4 games). However, then it's possible to start analysing the 'worth' of each goal. For example, Simon has scored in six separate games but two of those were defeats: a 5-1 defeat and a 2-1 defeat. Harry, however, scored in only five games but none of them were defeats. So I suppose it could be argued that Harry's goals were a little more important. Anyway, if you add in Harry's overall play compared to Simon's I think I know who I'd prefer. Beyond that I'm not willing to go because, well, I'm tired apart from anything else!!!

A bit distortion in your facts BTG.

Thomas scored in a 5-1 defeat but put us 1-0 up and had a earlier goal very harshly ruled out for offside

The 2-1 defeat, he equalised to make it 1-1.

I think both CF are good, I prefer Simon though due to the fact he doesn’t walk away from ‘adoring’ support and appears more professional that Ottaway, as well as doing the more important thing regularly and that’s scoring goals.

We’ve got to stop looking at the past, last years Team is gone-goodbye- this year’s team is I believe two/three players from a playoff winning side.

A starting team of Wright, Parcell, Purse, Kirby, (new left back), Green, Noto, Blackman, Young’s , (a new winger) Thomas/Hope

Martin +Blake can be good impact subs.

The seasons been blighted with defensive mistakes, firstly Blackman earlier in the season couldn’t help but give penalties away, which cost us points and Rumens has about 4 assists to his name, but for the opposing side, as Andy has stated, that stuff is uncoachable and just poor decision making.

Green staying fit and returning to better form will help bundles, Kirby is better than McKenzie and Rumens rolled into one, even in his current athletic condition, plus create havoc in the penalty box and Liam will get his share of goals, his outside the box Play is limited but that’s what we’ve got. One thing Liam has got is a big heart, plus he knows what the alternative is having spent time at Cheshunt , their can’t be s bigger motivation factor for him than that

Simon's record of 12 goals in 30 games is fairly respectable on paper,but i feel his overall play and commitment has been disappointing.As were his leadership qualities when he had the armband.

Unlike some others i don't feel Liam is the answer long term either.He is a good squad addition and a natural goalscorer against lesser teams,but feel he struggles to create enough space -or have the pace- to trouble teams in the top half of our league. 

Edited by lovely stuff

Ah the enigma that is Simon Thomas ! If that guy could approach every game with the mindset, application and gusto that he showed in the Thurrock game, then we'd have a 20 / 25 goal a season striker on our hands ! I don't know if he is lazy, scared or has a terrible sense of timing, it's so frustrating, as he proved in that Thurrock game that there is a decent player in there somewhere !